07/Mar Fr11 - WITH SENSE: MoDaCo Custom ROM for HTC Desire with Online Kitchen (2.2 / Froyo)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest codemann

At the risk of asking something really stupid: I don't see the kitchen.

I just see the text "There may be a short wait while the load balancing software determines the best kitchen to serve your ROM. The kitchen should appear below within 20 seconds." in the second post, he loads a while, but I don't see any link appearing.

Is it down or is it me? :)

Guest codemann

Firefox was even a clean install and IE was never used before.

I don't get it, this system is a pretty clean install, only just installed it this week. And I've been in that kitchen before, but now that I buy my Ad Free & Kitchen account, I can't get in it anymore :)

Guest codemann

Yeah, it's all installed... I've had some moments now that I see it, at other times I don't see it. I just don't get it.

But when I see it, I've never been able to bake a ROM... Let's try it at work tomorrow!

Running CyanogenMOD now but I miss Sense too much so I need this one! :)

Guest codemann

It works perfectly at work. Could it be that my IP at home gets blocked or something?

I've sent Paul a private message yesterday, I hope we can figure this out.

Guest codemann

It even seems to work at home now, I wonder what changed...

MoDacO flashed! I left Maps out, so I have been able to install the v5 from the market.

However, the market itself doesn't update and I can't seem to find a good way to get that fixed, is there a way to update the market?

EDIT1: Another question.. I have used A2SD+ and I have done the check that I can find on XDA to see if the symlinks are created correctly, so everything seems perfect. But I'm still a bit confused on how it works. I still see the "move to sdcard" button, but does it have any effect?

From what I understand everything is on sdcard now anyways with those symlinks?

EDIT2: And I just found why I should have included the Facebook app... The regular FB app from the market doesn't sync the pictures :) Damn, I was hoping to finally only have 1 FB application!

Edited by codemann

Guest Kiran J. Holla
MoDacO flashed! I left Maps out, so I have been able to install the v5 from the market.

However, the market itself doesn't update and I can't seem to find a good way to get that fixed, is there a way to update the market?

I think there is an updated APK for the Market which you can install. However, I have read recently that there are some bugs which are still to be ironed out. Might be worth waiting until a stable Market version becomes available. The older version of the Android Market works perfectly for me anyway.

EDIT1: Another question.. I have used A2SD+ and I have done the check that I can find on XDA to see if the symlinks are created correctly, so everything seems perfect. But I'm still a bit confused on how it works. I still see the "move to sdcard" button, but does it have any effect?

From what I understand everything is on sdcard now anyways with those symlinks?

A2SD+ will move all your apps as well as your Dalvik Cache to the EXT Partition on your SD Card. However, to the phone these apps still appear to be on the phone memory. The "Move to SDCard" that you see is the feature introduced in Froyo which technically allows you to move apps from the phone memory to the FAT partition on your SD Card. I would recommend that you don't use that option for two reasons: 1, you already have A2SD+ and hence nothing to worry about; 2, in my opinion Froyo A2SD sucks.

EDIT2: And I just found why I should have included the Facebook app... The regular FB app from the market doesn't sync the pictures :) Damn, I was hoping to finally only have 1 FB application!

Don't use facebook myself, so wouldn't really know.

Regards,

Kiran

Guest Martin__S

I currently have the non A2SD version of this rom installed running stable with the latest radio release. My sd card is partitioned with ext using rom manager. Now ive subscribed and learnt a little more id like to bake my own version based on A2SD+ removing some of the stock sense apps (peep, teeter, stocks etc) and reflash. The only aim is to run what i have niw, but with more space as I'm down to 15mb internal.

What would be the best procedure?

I have tutanium backup, all apps and settings backed up saved to dropbox. Id like latest gmail, not bothered abiutmarketplace as there seems to be some issues.

If i do a full wipe and restore using titanium will A2SD place apps on ext

Do i need to wipe or will reflash work over top

Should i just wait for R10(?) Which i assume will have latest gmail etc

Also, is the backup rom option in rom manager a nandroid backup (it reboots to recovery). If i do this before reflash and it all goes tits up can i get back to exactly as it is now.

TIA

Martin

Edited by Martin__S

Guest Kiran J. Holla
... I'm down to 15mb internal.

15 MB is low. I would strongly recommend getting A2SD+

What would be the best procedure?

I have tutanium backup, all apps and settings backed up saved to dropbox. Id like latest gmail,...

I would suggest that you do the following:

1. Perform a Nandroid Backup of your phone

2. Bake an R9 with A2SD+ but without Google Maps

3. Once baked, open the resulting Zip file, go into /system/apps and delete Gmail.apk

4. Flash this ROM

5. Install Google Maps from the Android Market

6. Install GMail from the Android Market

7. Restore your other settings using Titanium Backup

If i do a full wipe and restore using titanium will A2SD place apps on ext

I have never tried this, but my guess is that Titanium Backup will restore the apps to the same place as they were before. So, if the Apps had been installed on the FAT partition (using Froyo A2SD), then that is where the restore will happen to. However, you can always move all your apps to the Phone memory and they should go into the EXT partition on your SD Card

Why don't you try it and let us know the result?

Do i need to wipe or will reflash work over top

With the procedure I have suggested above, I would recommend a full-wipe. However, you can always try to flash without a wipe and then if you find something wrong, try the flash with a wipe.

Should i just wait for R10(?) Which i assume will have latest gmail etc

My personal suggestion would be to not wait for R10. There are no indications on when R10 will be released. I would strongly recommend getting your Apps such as GMail and Google Maps to update over the Android Market. That way you have the flexibility to update to the latest version without waiting for a new Rx to be released.

Also, is the backup rom option in rom manager a nandroid backup (it reboots to recovery). If i do this before reflash and it all goes tits up can i get back to exactly as it is now.

Yes, the backup option is the Nandroid Backup. It should help you restore the phone to the original state if your flash goes wrong.

Best of luck.

Regards,

Kiran

Guest codemann
3. Once baked, open the resulting Zip file, go into /system/apps and delete Gmail.apk

Is there also a procedure to delete that Gmail after you flashed the ROM? I didn't know that yesterday so I flashed with it. I can't seem to delete it, I looked at the application settings. So is there an alternative procedure to delete it and reinstall it from the market?

Guest Kiran J. Holla
Is there also a procedure to delete that Gmail after you flashed the ROM? I didn't know that yesterday so I flashed with it. I can't seem to delete it, I looked at the application settings. So is there an alternative procedure to delete it and reinstall it from the market?

Yes, there is but you will need the Android SDK and toolkit installed on your PC.

1. Make a Nandroid Backup
  2. Boot the phone into recovery
  3. While in recovery, plug the phone to the computer
  4. Open a command prompt window on your PC and fire the following commands:
    adb shell

mount /system

rm -f /system/app/Gmail.apk

5. Disconnect the Phone
  6. Reboot normally
Now, Gmail should be gone from your phone and you should be able to install it from the Market.

Regards,

Kiran

Guest Martin__S

Thanks for the advice.

Installing now without wipe/cache wipe. I'll see how it goes :)

Updated, first reboot underway <taps fingers> ...

ANDROID boot animation ...

Preparing SD card

All homescreens appear fine

Mini info widget reports 114mb free on SD card ;)

Titanium backup and ROM Manager updated from Marketplace

GMail, VoiceSearch installed from Marketplace

Gmail waiting for sync ?... Used the Sync All widget - all sync'd now

Excellent, appears to have worked without any issues.

Guest Martin__S

There is indeed.

Go back a couple of pages in this thread for the post, basically

Boot to recovery mode and use Android Commander (windows) to remove GMail.apk from system\apps (make backup of .apk first, just in case)

Can also use ADB if you prefer.

Then download gmail from Marketplace

I baked a ROM for me with no Google Maps pre-installed. Now I want to install 5-th version from Market but every time after downloading I get Installation Unsuccessful. Installation error: Unknown reason -8. When I try to install using ADB i get Failure [iNSTALL_FAILED_SHARED_USER_INCOMPATIBLE].

Is there any way to fix this?

Thanks.

Edited by eruben

Guest Kiran J. Holla
I baked a ROM for me with no Google Maps pre-installed. Now I want to install 5-th version from Market but every time after downloading I get Installation Unsuccessful. Installation error: Unknown reason -8. When I try to install using ADB i get Failure [iNSTALL_FAILED_SHARED_USER_INCOMPATIBLE].

Is there any way to fix this?

Thanks.

Did you perform a full wipe before you flashed the ROM? I had been struggling (really struggling) with the exact same issue a while back. Read my post here.

Try those steps and hopefully it will work for you too.

Regards,

Kiran

Guest Martin__S

It sounds to me like you already have Maps installed and are trying to push another install over the top, or at least the phone still has maps 'registered' somewhere so it thinks you are trying to overwrite with a conflicting version.

What you could try before doing a full wipe, and I've not tried this, is install the older version of maps (extract from a standard r9 ROM) into a location other than /system/apps. (/data rather than /system??)

This should allow it to be overwritten by a download from the marketplace. As I understand it the reason we can't overwrite maps/gmail etc is that the apps are installed into the protected system area by the ROM install. Is this correct?

It sounds to me like you already have Maps installed and are trying to push another install over the top, or at least the phone still has maps 'registered' somewhere so it thinks you are trying to overwrite with a conflicting version.

What you could try before doing a full wipe, and I've not tried this, is install the older version of maps (extract from a standard r9 ROM) into a location other than /system/apps. (/data rather than /system??)

This should allow it to be overwritten by a download from the marketplace. As I understand it the reason we can't overwrite maps/gmail etc is that the apps are installed into the protected system area by the ROM install. Is this correct?

Yes

Did you perform a full wipe before you flashed the ROM? I had been struggling (really struggling) with the exact same issue a while back. Read my post here.

Try those steps and hopefully it will work for you too.

Regards,

Kiran

Sound really bad :) I Hope to find any other solution that reseting the phone.

I think I do not have application installed as I searched everything and deleted using adb. By the way can you tell me how to install app in location other than system/app?