Samsung i920 Kitchen GUI Front-End - With DG21 Stock

Guest xlightwaverx

You are going to have to "acquire" different SYS Builds and when you throw them in your working folder (that you copy from _template, to become your working directory) you should be able to put the SYS directory in your working folder and select it from the romtool.exe program at the top when you choose what SYS you are going to cook with before romtool.exe puts everything together using BuildOS.

I haven't done it yet but that is just how it seems it would work. It's just a GUI Front End.

post-721779-1285583363_thumb.jpg

Right. I've got a copy of 23569, 192DPI_0409, XIP and Common. But where I get confused is the .pdf calls for putting the XIP.bin into the folder, and there's no .bin file included. I wasn't sure if I had to run the 23569-XIP folder through some program that coverts the whole thing into a binary file, or what.

This is based on the i8000 rom tool, right? Maybe I can dig up more directions there. For right now, I'm exhausted. Got home and to bed at 5am, woken up at 11:30 by a phone call. The past four days, I've gotten between 4 and 6 hours sleep. That's not helping my cognitive skills when I try to figure this out. :lol:

Oh, and thanks for the tool, and for trying to pound a little knowledge into a rock-hard head.

Edited by tedkord

Guest urphonesux

"Oh, and thanks for the tool, and for trying to pound a little knowledge into a rock-hard head."

indeed. i get pissed off and short tempered at all of this technology stuff...........................

but there is always another way

(than to get pissed off and short tempered at all of this technology stuff)

Guest xlightwaverx

I'll look into it when I get some more time. And I just packaged the tool up with some required extra's for us i920 folks. AMD would have a definite answer for you since he's been using it far longer than I and he is the one that got me into it and has already cooked ROMs with other SYS's intact... As usual, he would be the main man for this.

"Oh, and thanks for the tool, and for trying to pound a little knowledge into a rock-hard head."

indeed. i get pissed off and short tempered at all of this technology stuff...........................

but there is always another way

(than to get pissed off and short tempered at all of this technology stuff)

Guest urphonesux

i appreciate you all.

I think that with a more in depth tutorial for noobs there would be many other custom roms floating around this place. As it is now its a barren forest on our way to nirvana.

Not to say that made any sense its just that i REALLY LIKE using Keyboard 3.9

Guest xlightwaverx

Swype 3.9? And no pun intended on "made any sense" right? Haha.

i appreciate you all.

I think that with a more in depth tutorial for noobs there would be many other custom roms floating around this place. As it is now its a barren forest on our way to nirvana.

Not to say that made any sense its just that i REALLY LIKE using Keyboard 3.9

It would appear that a tutorial would be in order for this kitchen that was posted. I'm not sure I have the time for a full tutorial but I CAN answer questions on this aspect.

As far as the SYS goes, you can put any "SYS" version in the root of your rom folder.

Here is how I have mine setup

d:\

|

i8000kitchen

|

_Template ZeroBase ZeroLite

so inside my ZeroBase folder I put the SYS version I want to cook.

A word of caution however, as I have not been able to make a good xip.bin file with this kitchen, NOR have I been able to use a different xip.bin file.

What I do is use the older buildos kitchen to cook the proper sys/xip, then I dump it with we rom tool.

Also at the top there is a working folder so my working folder is D:\i8000kitchen

This way I can select my ROM in the ROM: box ([ZeroBase], or [ZeroLite]) and if I had multiple SYS folder I could then use the SYS: box.

I also haven't gotten the multiple sys folder to work either, I'm assuming because I can't get the xip.bin to build correctly.

Guest xlightwaverx

IS there a way to incorporate a new SYS into BUILDOS the same way the old Kitchen did it? Just by overwriting the old SYS folder with the new files? I am not sure why this kitchen cannot do that considering it is just a GUI for BuildOS.

It would appear that a tutorial would be in order for this kitchen that was posted. I'm not sure I have the time for a full tutorial but I CAN answer questions on this aspect.

As far as the SYS goes, you can put any "SYS" version in the root of your rom folder.

Here is how I have mine setup

d:\

|

i8000kitchen

|

_Template ZeroBase ZeroLite

so inside my ZeroBase folder I put the SYS version I want to cook.

A word of caution however, as I have not been able to make a good xip.bin file with this kitchen, NOR have I been able to use a different xip.bin file.

What I do is use the older buildos kitchen to cook the proper sys/xip, then I dump it with we rom tool.

Also at the top there is a working folder so my working folder is D:\i8000kitchen

This way I can select my ROM in the ROM: box ([ZeroBase], or [ZeroLite]) and if I had multiple SYS folder I could then use the SYS: box.

I also haven't gotten the multiple sys folder to work either, I'm assuming because I can't get the xip.bin to build correctly.

Guest amdzero
IS there a way to incorporate a new SYS into BUILDOS the same way the old Kitchen did it? Just by overwriting the old SYS folder with the new files? I am not sure why this kitchen cannot do that considering it is just a GUI for BuildOS.

yes works the SAME way. Its a little trickier if you want the xip as well.

Guest xlightwaverx

Probably gonna have to release a topic on the HOWTO to incorporate a new SYS correctly considering I have just copied the new SYS to the respective folders overwriting whatever I could while the files that remain are usually phone specific files and the same goes for the XIP, and BuildOS takes it like a champ with no errors and I am running a new sys. Or that is how I remember it happening.

I just would like to get this kitchen squared away so it is fully functional.

yes works the SAME way. Its a little trickier if you want the xip as well.

Guest amdzero
Probably gonna have to release a topic on the HOWTO to incorporate a new SYS correctly considering I have just copied the new SYS to the respective folders overwriting whatever I could while the files that remain are usually phone specific files and the same goes for the XIP, and BuildOS takes it like a champ with no errors and I am running a new sys. Or that is how I remember it happening.

I just would like to get this kitchen squared away so it is fully functional.

yeah the kitchen is supposed to build a new xip, but in my experience it doesn't. I have to use the old buildos kitchen and make a new flash.nb0 then re-dump it and copy the xiptools and rom folders back in.

Talk about a pita, but luckily I don't change sys/xip too often.

• 3 months later...
Guest nickmo20

Any chance you could throw together a quick tut? I'm use to OsKitchen for i910 and Vistangs kitchen... this is slightly different! OK it's quite different. and seeing how i just got the i920 about 24 hours ago, i dont want to mess it up quite yet.

EDIT: yeah, now that i've downloaded, i realize there's a pdf! sorry! should've been more patient, haha! LET THE COOKING BEGIN!

Edited by nickmo20

Guest ultralight23

Ok, so i'm pretty much ignorant (though pick up stuff rather quickly) when it comes to the thread title but after a couple of hours i finally figured out how to dump a ROM other than the stock one provided. Also figured out where the apps are that i want to delete (or add). And still more to figure out. One day i'll figure out how you guys install those start up images. I haven't actually cooked anything yet cause its getting late already, just messing with it for the time being.

Thanks guys for the short nights!

FYI, i'm not a programmer or in IT or in any segment of the technology sector for that matter...so i may ask some oddball questions with the jargon all ask backwards so please forgive me in advance.

Guest xlightwaverx
Ok, so i'm pretty much ignorant (though pick up stuff rather quickly) when it comes to the thread title but after a couple of hours i finally figured out how to dump a ROM other than the stock one provided. Also figured out where the apps are that i want to delete (or add). And still more to figure out. One day i'll figure out how you guys install those start up images. I haven't actually cooked anything yet cause its getting late already, just messing with it for the time being.

Thanks guys for the short nights!

FYI, i'm not a programmer or in IT or in any segment of the technology sector for that matter...so i may ask some oddball questions with the jargon all ask backwards so please forgive me in advance.

If you need us, we'll be there.

X

Guest ultralight23

Is the kitchen able to reassign a soft key to a EXT_OEM package? Would i have to dump a new build then reassign the soft key in the next dump?

Thx

Guest amdzero
Is the kitchen able to reassign a soft key to a EXT_OEM package? Would i have to dump a new build then reassign the soft key in the next dump?

Thx

reassign a soft key? are you talking about on the home screen the text at the bottom like contacts? These are changed through the registry.

Guest ultralight23
reassign a soft key? are you talking about on the home screen the text at the bottom like contacts? These are changed through the registry.

Let's say i were to remove "cube" in the kitchen, which has a soft key in DG21. I want to reassign that soft key to something else prior to the build process.

Or is there a way to dump the ROM on my phone after i make registry edits and other sorts of revisions?

Guest ultralight23

Also, I'm getting a "error reporting" window pointing to setting_t.exe. What do i need to delete so i won't get error reporting messages? Works fine after i tap "Don't Send".

Any help on the quetion above still?

Guest amdzero
Let's say i were to remove "cube" in the kitchen, which has a soft key in DG21. I want to reassign that soft key to something else prior to the build process.

Or is there a way to dump the ROM on my phone after i make registry edits and other sorts of revisions?

there isn't a way to dump the rom after you make the registry edits.

1. a rom dump only dumps whats in rom, not what you have changed, so you'll get the exact file cooked.

2. you can get a registry dump if you need to make changes to the registry.

a. you can use a registry editor on your phone like dotfred's task manager to export (LOVE THIS)

b. you can also use a program to export registry through activesync

I use Soti Pocket Controller, as it gives me remote control of the phone, AND can export registry.

The reason I don't use dotfred's anymore, is because it doesn't export consistantly. What I mean is the lines are not the same everytime, so you are looking at a before and after registry capture, it is extremely difficult to find the exact registry as they are on different lines. Soti exports them uniformly and is easy to use WINMERGE to fine the exact lines that have been changed.

anyway to answer your question, try these registry entries for your kitchen:

;used to stop error debuging which is useless for us

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\ErrorReporting\DumpSettings]

"DumpEnabled"=dword:0

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ControlPanel\Error Reporting]

"Hide"=dword:1

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ControlPanel\Customer Feedback]

"Hide"=dword:1

also look in mxipcold_zzzOEM_001.provxml for this

<characteristic type="HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Today\Keys\112">

<parm name="Open" value="\windows\Phonebook.lnk" datatype="string" />

<parm name="" value="My Contacts" datatype="string" />

</characteristic>

<characteristic type="HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Today\Keys\113">

<parm name="Open" value="\windows\Cube.lnk" datatype="string" />

<parm name="" value="Cube" datatype="string" />

</characteristic>

Incase you didn't know the .rgus are processed into your default.hv, and user.hv files located in temp\dump.

They are processed alpha/numerically so if you have the same registry entry in two .rgu files, the last one processed will prevail.

The .provxml files will get processed on first boot. These are also alpha/numerically executed. so you need to check those as well if something you changed didn't take effect.

I have a folder called "custom_settings" and I put a file called ffffffff-ffff-ffff-ffff-ffffffffffff.rgu in there, so I KNOW that my reg entries will get processed/take effect last. Unless of course there is a .provxml that changes them back on first boot.

Keep cooking!

Edited by amdzero

Guest ultralight23

Thanks amd, i'll give that a try in the couple of days. I want to run what i have, pretty much a base platform, for the next couple of days to make sure everything is running good. I've removed all the verizon bloatware, some of the samsung wasteware and the start menu. At startup RAM is 108 and storage is at 267. I did have the lockscreen removed but put it back in cause i couldn't get smartlock to work on lock though it works on incoming calls....weird.

I'm having a time trying to get EXT_OEM folder to work for me. The only thing i got into the build was o2flash, settings+ and arto start remover. But i couldn't get dotfred, smartlock or OP7 secdialer to install. This is the process i'm doing:

extract cab

rename _setup xml

name folder ul xxxxxx

put folder in EXT_OEM

run build

For instance dotfred came with an error "this is a directory file" during the os build.

Guest amdzero
Thanks amd, i'll give that a try in the couple of days. I want to run what i have, pretty much a base platform, for the next couple of days to make sure everything is running good. I've removed all the verizon bloatware, some of the samsung wasteware and the start menu. At startup RAM is 108 and storage is at 267. I did have the lockscreen removed but put it back in cause i couldn't get smartlock to work on lock though it works on incoming calls....weird.

I'm having a time trying to get EXT_OEM folder to work for me. The only thing i got into the build was o2flash, settings+ and arto start remover. But i couldn't get dotfred, smartlock or OP7 secdialer to install. This is the process i'm doing:

extract cab

rename _setup xml

name folder ul xxxxxx

put folder in EXT_OEM

run build

For instance dotfred came with an error "this is a directory file" during the os build.

I don't mess with EXT_OEM, this kitchen does not handle EXT packages (not even sure why it is labeled that). So it simply copies the OEM packages from root directory into the build you are using at that time. Like I said, I don't mess with it, I just make an OEM and put it in my OEM folder.

this is what i use to make OEM Packages, out of .cab files:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=388883