Samsung i920 Kitchen GUI Front-End - With DG21 Stock

Guest xlightwaverx

Guest xlightwaverx
I don't mess with EXT_OEM, this kitchen does not handle EXT packages (not even sure why it is labeled that). So it simply copies the OEM packages from root directory into the build you are using at that time. Like I said, I don't mess with it, I just make an OEM and put it in my OEM folder.

this is what i use to make OEM Packages, out of .cab files:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=388883

Yes a very handy tool indeed! Beats the old one we used to use that didn't make an option.xml... Blah.

Guest ultralight23

OK, thanks for the responses guys. I've got my OEM packages and .rgus ready so i'll give a try tonight.

A couple of other things though:

1. I thought i removed opera9 but its still reading my .xml documents. What did i forget?

2. I disabled SECdialer but now no dialer is showing when i hit the send button. Winmo dialer is usable in menu though. How do i enable the wm dialer?

3. Is there a way to put a folder in My Documents or in Main Storage, let's say of background pictures, during the build?

Thanks again guys.

Guest amdzero
OK, thanks for the responses guys. I've got my OEM packages and .rgus ready so i'll give a try tonight.

A couple of other things though:

1. I thought i removed opera9 but its still reading my .xml documents. What did i forget?

2. I disabled SECdialer but now no dialer is showing when i hit the send button. Winmo dialer is usable in menu though. How do i enable the wm dialer?

3. Is there a way to put a folder in My Documents or in Main Storage, let's say of background pictures, during the build?

Thanks again guys.

1. in your OEM\OEMApps folder, look at the .rgu file There is a TON of opera registry entries. the specific one you are looking at is

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xml]

"Default"="_htmlfile_Opera"

if you are removing opera from the rom, erase all (ALL) of the files associated with opera, and erase (or just comment out with a semicolon) all opera registry entries in the .rgu

2. the reason this is not working, is because somewhere in the rom (not sure where) there is an OEM system file that sets this parameter

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\State\Samsung\Keypad]

SENDKeyEnabled=1

Unless you set this parameter the phone will not be able to use the send key. when SECDIALER is assigned to the oem skin (as default phone dialer) then the registry setting gets set upon boot. If you want to use another dialer besides samsung dialer you must find a way to set that registry setting (or find out what reads this registry entry to enable/disable a hardware button).

3. you can put files anywhere you want. you just have to have this file

initflashfiles.txt

in the OEM Package you are trying to add files to. Remember by default ALL files will reside in windows (unless you force erase them) so they will take up extra space.

here is an example

Directory("\Windows\Start Menu\Programs"):-File("Dialer Switcher.lnk", "\Windows\Dialer Switcher.lnk")

-----------(directory for file to go )------(name of file after move, name of original file)

if you need more examples, take a look at OEM\OEM_Lang_0409\initflashfiles.dat

I recommend Notepad++ for all file editing, as it is simple, clean and powerful.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest nickmo20

OK, this is a bit hard to explain but I'll do my best! I have set up this kitchen, and I have cooked a few different ROMs with the stock 21906. I have lightened it significantly, and it still works. My current issue is that I've now downloaded and swapped out for 23569 (my fav) and I've had a few issues with the XIP holding doubles apparently. I got that fixed now. EVERYTHING seems to cook OK and my cooking log shows no errors, I'm not missing anything (to my knowledge).

Here's the kicker, If I swap out the original SYS folder, it will cook fine. If i swap for the 23569, it still cooks, and starts to boot but I never get past the Anipower_on animation.

@AMDZero, there's got to be something simple that I'm missing. I've tried to read through comments but it was late last night and I'm sure I missed something. So far I've only been cooking with 10mb pagepool and OEM seems to run fine, but just not 23569. Any secrets? would it help if I wrapped up my folders in a .rar or .zip and uploaded for you to check out?

Honestly, it's been a good long time since I've cooked anything, for any phone. So again, I could easily be missing something to help it boot...

Thanks!

Guest amdzero
OK, this is a bit hard to explain but I'll do my best! I have set up this kitchen, and I have cooked a few different ROMs with the stock 21906. I have lightened it significantly, and it still works. My current issue is that I've now downloaded and swapped out for 23569 (my fav) and I've had a few issues with the XIP holding doubles apparently. I got that fixed now. EVERYTHING seems to cook OK and my cooking log shows no errors, I'm not missing anything (to my knowledge).

Here's the kicker, If I swap out the original SYS folder, it will cook fine. If i swap for the 23569, it still cooks, and starts to boot but I never get past the Anipower_on animation.

@AMDZero, there's got to be something simple that I'm missing. I've tried to read through comments but it was late last night and I'm sure I missed something. So far I've only been cooking with 10mb pagepool and OEM seems to run fine, but just not 23569. Any secrets? would it help if I wrapped up my folders in a .rar or .zip and uploaded for you to check out?

Honestly, it's been a good long time since I've cooked anything, for any phone. So again, I could easily be missing something to help it boot...

Thanks!

Try this as your 23569 xip.

XIP_23569.zip

Guest xlightwaverx

Thanks!

Hmm, are you swapping SYS's, or just selecting different SYS's from the drop down menu? You can have as many XIPs and SYS's in that kitchen that you want, and you just drag and select which one you want to cook (see pic.)

post-721779-1299201358_thumb.jpg

It works amazing, but you have to set it up right. If you are going to use this Kitchen, I would download the latest 6.5 and the 6.5.5 and completely remove the stock SYS. Each SYS_xxxx gets renamed to SYS prior to cooking, and then returns to SYS_xxxxx when done. When you download a XIP, make sure its content looks like this (see pic.) It, as well, is XIP_xxxxx (Matches the SYS_xxxxx). That's it. The kitchen does the rest for you. I wouldn't do the joojoobee method, I would do the mobileunderground method, and set it up like mine.

post-721779-1299201915_thumb.jpg

List of Latest SYS Builds with XIPS for this Kitchen -> http://www.mobileunderground.info/sys/

Latest 21916 -> http://www.filefactory.com/file/b32h27e/n/...409_FROM_DFT.7z

This way you have the latest SYS, and the kitchen compiles xip.bin against your XIP_xxxxx build = Phone boots past Verizon Logo. :(

X

Guest nickmo20

thank you both much a great deal!!! yeah, i guess i'm use to the i910 kitchen where you can only have 1 sys/xip at a time! i'm still learning i need to get out of my old groove. I will report back tomorrow with the news.

Guest nickmo20

hey just a heads up to xlightwaverx, I never had LangDB in my XIP.. is that the language database? and can you wrap that up in an archive (.rar or .zip) and upload it? Thanks... if it's a bunch of languages other than english than i'll pass but if i absolutely need it then hook me up! 8-)

I'm curious because my old XIP didn't have it earlier so i'm confused as to how i was able to cook before!

AND lastly how did you get your PDA version updated? mine won't allow me to change it. it tells me i need it to be 22 characters long and it doesnt match.... I notice you have 3.0.1 and i have 3.0 so maybe there was a slight change?

Edited by nickmo20

Guest xlightwaverx
hey just a heads up to xlightwaverx, I never had LangDB in my XIP.. is that the language database? and can you wrap that up in an archive (.rar or .zip) and upload it? Thanks... if it's a bunch of languages other than english than i'll pass but if i absolutely need it then hook me up! 8-)

I'm curious because my old XIP didn't have it earlier so i'm confused as to how i was able to cook before!

AND lastly how did you get your PDA version updated? mine won't allow me to change it. it tells me i need it to be 22 characters long and it doesnt match.... I notice you have 3.0.1 and i have 3.0 so maybe there was a slight change?

You were able to compile because you already had a XIP.bin. If you want to update your XIP, this kitchen will build it from those files. For example, in the old kitchens, we would update the SYS with a new SYS, and then we would have the XIP and update the XIP directory with the new contents but in all reality the only file it used was the XIP.bin, which was left over from the previous kitchen, and the NEW XIP that we would put in, in reality, was never really put in.

At least that is how it seemed to be for me.

The only way I figured this out was with Trial and Error based on what the kitchen was spitting out for error messages, like, unable to find XIP_xxxxx, or the same error but naming the directory in that directory. Hence, the kitchen needs those files to build the XIP, and MU has them. Whether it needs the LangDB, I am not sure, but I saw an example somewhere and that is where I put it.

If you download from the links I posted previously, you will have the required files. Just try it without the LangDB, then post so we all know. :(

X

Guest xlightwaverx
Instead of wrapping everything up, maybe post a pic to show you how my folders are aligned??? let me try to post a link, and if not then code it.

Sorry if this takes up a lot of space on the page, i tried to reduce it's size. If it needs to be deleted go ahead!

http://usera.ImageCave.com/nickmo/Kitchen_Folders.PNG

Kitchen_Folders.PNG

Looks alright to me. It's just that if you select SYS_21906, you probably will have an issue with there not being a XIP_21906. If you select SYS_OEM, I don't believe the kitchen will rename it if its not in the 5 decimal order (SYS_12345). If you rename the SYS_XXXXX yourself to SYS, then I don't think the XIP deal will matter since the kitchen doesn't need to do anything but run BuildOS.

X

Guest nickmo20

yeah, see i was having issues though with renaming everything... So by keeping it plain SYS and XIP it works. then the items/folders not in use i rename so that they get left out. So whenever i want to use 23569, i just rename them to the stock name. It's weird i know, but it hasn't worked by renaming.. I even just re-unpacked the kitchen, and started from scratch. It built OK without any errors in the log, but still won't boot!

I'm at a loss for words. Normally seeing an error issue leads me to finding a solution, but at this point, i don't know where to begin! Like i said, i can cook the stock 21906 but nothing else works.. I guess i can try to download a COM 3 and see how that works. Thanks X for the help! and also your insight! I'll give it another go.

Trust me, i'm not giving up any time soon!

Guest amdzero

for those interested, here is a good little program used BEFORE you cook your rom.

http://www.modaco.com/content/i8000-omnia-...ool-prebuildos/

It copies the duplicate files to a folder for you so you can see the, well, duplicates. I don't think this works for files that are folders.

i.e. if you have a file called outres.192.dll in your oem folder and a FOLDER called outres.192.dll in your sys folder, these are not duplicates, but buildOS will give an error, as they cannot reside in the same temp\dump folder.

Guest xlightwaverx
yeah, see i was having issues though with renaming everything... So by keeping it plain SYS and XIP it works. then the items/folders not in use i rename so that they get left out. So whenever i want to use 23569, i just rename them to the stock name. It's weird i know, but it hasn't worked by renaming.. I even just re-unpacked the kitchen, and started from scratch. It built OK without any errors in the log, but still won't boot!

I'm at a loss for words. Normally seeing an error issue leads me to finding a solution, but at this point, i don't know where to begin! Like i said, i can cook the stock 21906 but nothing else works.. I guess i can try to download a COM 3 and see how that works. Thanks X for the help! and also your insight! I'll give it another go.

Trust me, i'm not giving up any time soon!

I think I have the software to successfully make some tutorials. I may just have to make a video when I update the kitchen. I'll probably post it on both Omnia II boards since it applies to both. Either way, you are going to figure it out.

X

Guest xlightwaverx
for those interested, here is a good little program used BEFORE you cook your rom.

http://www.modaco.com/content/i8000-omnia-...ool-prebuildos/

It copies the duplicate files to a folder for you so you can see the, well, duplicates. I don't think this works for files that are folders.

i.e. if you have a file called outres.192.dll in your oem folder and a FOLDER called outres.192.dll in your sys folder, these are not duplicates, but buildOS will give an error, as they cannot reside in the same temp\dump folder.

Yes, very handy indeed, and I will probably include it in the next kitchen release. The only issue is that if you have a kitchen setup with option.xml's and have various different packages setup already that YOU KNOW you will not cook together because of duplicates, this program will rip your kitchen apart. But it's good for starters, and definitely helped with the adding of CHT to a ROM. I had to thank the developer last night for it, heh.

X

Guest nickmo20

yeah I'm sure I'll figure it out.. hopefully sooner than later. but i feel quite ridiculous because it took only days to learn to cook successfully on other phones and this time around I'm struggling.

Think by any chance someone could load a stock ROM but swap out for 23569 and I'll trim it down and tweak it from there? I swear my issue comes from the SYS folder, I'll keep trying.

Guest nickmo20

Alright, The issue has to be with my SYS folder. When I swap out the SYS folder for any other builds, it works fine, but not for 23569. I have changed the XIP for 23569 too and still wont work. I'm not sure why it wont work on that build, but we'll see i guess

Guest xlightwaverx
Alright, The issue has to be with my SYS folder. When I swap out the SYS folder for any other builds, it works fine, but not for 23569. I have changed the XIP for 23569 too and still wont work. I'm not sure why it wont work on that build, but we'll see i guess

I'll download the SYS and try tonight. Maybe I'll make a movie.

X

Guest nickmo20
I'll download the SYS and try tonight. Maybe I'll make a movie.

X

You're the MAN! I've tried combing through and still can't seem to locate the error. Maybe I just have a GD phone issue and need to send it back...

Guest xlightwaverx
You're the MAN! I've tried combing through and still can't seem to locate the error. Maybe I just have a GD phone issue and need to send it back...

I made a video tutorial you can watch HERE on how to add a SYS to your kitchen. I hope this helps. :(

X

• 2 months later...
Guest dee22

Hi guys i am a complete newbie at this whole cooking thing....i downloaed this Kitchen GUI thing and still i have no idea what to do...Help plz!!

Guest dee22

Hi guys i am a complete newbie at this whole cooking thing....i downloaded this Kitchen GUI thing and still i have no idea what to do...Help plz!!