How to tune a FM radio station

Guest moneytoo

Guest propi-praha

I bought "Spirit FM Unlock", when i apply it so radio stop working.Aplication quote: "Sorry! Compatible FM chip not found .... :("

When I uninstall aplication and install again it, then it is working.

Guest Mike Reid

I bought "Spirit FM Unlock", when i apply it so radio stop working.Aplication quote: "Sorry! Compatible FM chip not found .... :(" When I uninstall aplication and install again it, then it is working.

Sorry, I haven't read this thread for awhile.

And sorry about the problem.

I believe it's fixed with the latest versions of the app and Unlocker on the Market.

That's about the worst thing that could happen; Buy and run the Unlocker and the app stops working. :(

This only happened on a few devices because of the way I was modifying some files.

Guest Mike Reid

I noticed that if I run your app and then exit, my battery drains faster.

To stop the drain, I have to restart phone after exiting app.

I believe radio power stays runningbackground.

Yes, I've heard of this issue before, but I think mostly with TI chips.

I'll look into it further, and thanks for your report. If it can be fixed, it will be.

It's possible that powering down Bluetooth and Wifi both will stop this drain. If my app was being used with BT off (UART mode), then it might be necessary to power BT on, then off.

With Bluetooth and WiFi and FM all off, the chip will be more likely to go into a low power mode. Sometimes it might take a few minutes for this to happen.

Guest mrmrmrmr

Yes, I've heard of this issue before, but I think mostly with TI chips.

I'll look into it further, and thanks for your report. If it can be fixed, it will be.

It's possible that powering down Bluetooth and Wifi both will stop this drain. If my app was being used with BT off (UART mode), then it might be necessary to power BT on, then off.

With Bluetooth and WiFi and FM all off, the chip will be more likely to go into a low power mode. Sometimes it might take a few minutes for this to happen.

please let us know of any progress :)

thanks.

• 1 month later...
Guest Mike Reid

please let us know of any progress :)

thanks.

Well, I'm trying to support the Streak better now with my app. Should I start a new thread or keep piggybacking on this "classic" one ?

For those who aren't aware, my free app "Spirit FM Radio" is available here: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.mikersmicros.fm or here for a siightly newer version: http://www.mediafire.com/file/h61d4y1slefyei9/Spirit_FM_Radio_v110919.apk

Until recently, my app was working only on the speaker. I found this was due to the use of the fm_hcitool linked in this thread. I think one of the devs patched it so that only speaker would work. I found a more original version that works with both speaker ("fm_hcitool 9 2") and headset ("fm_hcitool 9 1").

But it appears that once one of those fm_hcitool commands is run, the mode is stuck until reboot. You can't switch between speaker and headset without a reboot.

Does StreakRadio work the same way ? Can it switch between speaker and headset on the fly without reboot ?

And is volume control working OK with StreakRadio ?

It would be great if some of you could try my app and report on your success or failure with the above, especially if you are able to run adb shell to do some tests.

I'm not too familiar with the different versions of Streak, but I'll presume we are talking about the 5" unless otherwise stated. If you report, please let me know what system software/ROM/kernel versions you have.

I HAVE done some reverse engineering of fm_hcitool. But it would be best if I look at the kernel source code. I guess there are various versions at Opensource.dell.com ?

Anyone have any information about the bcom_fm device I've seen on some devices ? I've never seen this FM device driver on any other phone/tablet. Usually control is through HCI or an FM/BT chip vendor proprietary API. I hope I can find the source for this in the dell kernel sources.

StreakRadio cannot switch between speaker and headset .Volume control not working with StreakRadio . But if i

* Launch Streak Radio and select ON.

* Press Home Button to exit Streak Radio and back to Dell Home Screen.

* Launch Sprint FM Radio.

* Once Sprint FM Radio has launched, you can scan, select, preset all your stations. Volume up and down are also fully functional with fm_hcitool file in System/Bin folder .

With older version of spirit and sfu_sdcs its working without turning on bluetooth and starting faster .

I downt have adb shell.

Edited by sergor

Guest Mike Reid

Volume up and down are also fully functional with fm_hcitool file in System/Bin folder .

Thanks !

So I'm guessing that the audio libraries require fm_hcitool in /system/bin.

And yet, fm_hcitool doesn't seem to have any volume control function, so the presence of the file may enable volume control.

• 9 months later...
Guest md_mujeeb

I have a rooted Dell Streak 5 running on MIUI 2.4.2 ROM...

I was using Streak Radio for a while but was having difficulties below:

1. Radio volume cannot be controlled. It operates on full volume normally. When a call comes or alarm goes off, volume falls to very low levels.

2. When a call comes, radio does not stop automatically. Radio sound and caller voice get mixed up and we cannot hear what they are saying.

3. When call ends, radio does not start automatically.

Glad to tell you guys that I have found a nice solution to all these problems :P

I bought Sony Ericsson MW600 bluetooth headset.

This is a bluetooth hands-free and has an in-built radio too.

Sound clarity is excellent.

I can control the volume, radio automatically stops when a call comes and automatically starts again when call is ended.

You can also use it to hear songs with excellent clarity.

Just thought to inform everyone using Dell Streak 5 because I was really annoyed by the limitations in the in built radio.