Orange San Francisco review

Guest PaulOBrien

Hi

Anyone worked out what the back button light flashes does

When charging its red/green when charged

Other times when not charging it flashes red for no obvious reason ?

ern

Guest Superewza

I guess my only question would be regarding the lack of directional controls - i find i use them a fair bit on my i5700 but i'm assuming that multitouch compensates for it in the browser, how about text editing? If you want to go back, does it work in a similar way to the iphone? Or is there a way to get it to? Because i find it incredibly difficult to get the cursor in the right place using my finger, which will be in the way.

Thanks! Very close to sticking the Spica (with stock 1.5, damn no Linux support) up on ebay in favor of one of these!

Guest mannybianco
I guess my only question would be regarding the lack of directional controls - i find i use them a fair bit on my i5700 but i'm assuming that multitouch compensates for it in the browser, how about text editing? If you want to go back, does it work in a similar way to the iphone? Or is there a way to get it to? Because i find it incredibly difficult to get the cursor in the right place using my finger, which will be in the way.

Thanks! Very close to sticking the Spica (with stock 1.5, damn no Linux support) up on ebay in favor of one of these!

It's a bit cumbersome, but in the bundled TouchPal keyboard you can long press the button to to left of the space bar (the one with a pen and a dot on it) to bring up directional keys (among other keys). I'm a bit annoyed by this, as I'm used to the trackball on my old phone (HTC Dream), but at least I don't have to tap like five times every time I want to place the cursor exactly where I need it to edit text.

Guest Stuart W

How long is everyones device taking to charge from empty? Myns 3hrs and the whole phone gets a bit warm for the 1st part of charging then cools down towards the end. Just wondering if thats normal?

Guest Squidy

Excellent review, has pushed me over the edge to buying one of these. Just one question (and an important one for me) - what is the "'Sound Recorder' bug"?

EDIT: Never mind, watched the video again and saw it. Thanks.

Edited by Squidy

I should be unwrapping my ZTE Blade today, and am rather excited ;o)

But is the educated opinion that Android 2.2 will be made to work on this phone?

Or might there be some reason not, and that is why the price is so low?

Thanks ;o)

Guest Sere83

Theres a 2.2 Chinese ZTE Blade Rom floating about already, not ready for general use though. I'm sure it will be hacked on eventually, may even see an official update who knows?

Just got my blade today, cracking device, amazing for the price. Just contemplating whether to try and flash the custom rom, definitely recommend though, actually prefer it to my HTC hero already.

Things I've noticed.

Multitouch implementation is smoother than my hero

Speaker is seriously loud! Even has a touch of bass!

Good web browsing speeds over wifi.

Screen is amazing.

Guest matt_not_andrew

Good review - I took the plunge and upgraded from my Nokia N86. Before that I had the HTC Touch HD.

The screen is amazing for the price - as good as my Touch HD in my opinion.

As is the speed. Compared to both it wins hands down. I was looking at upgrading next month to the Desire Z but I may stick with this for a few months to see how I get on. It can always become the fiance's phone when I do upgrade.

As discussed before, the buttons on the side and front show you that it's a cut price phone but the screed, speed and specs say otherwise.

Now all I need is a screen protector and rubber case for it.

Guest yee_har
Hi

Anyone worked out what the back button light flashes does

When charging its red/green when charged

Other times when not charging it flashes red for no obvious reason ?

ern

I've put it down to being a warning of "no signal"

Guest yee_har
How long is everyones device taking to charge from empty? Myns 3hrs and the whole phone gets a bit warm for the 1st part of charging then cools down towards the end. Just wondering if thats normal?

I reckon mine was fully charged in under 2 hours (yesterday, first charge...using "mains", not PC)

Guest qwerta369
SF by a country mile because of EVERYTHING. :)

P

Seriously? Even in light of the recent Android OS upgrade of the LG GT540 from 1.6 to 2.1?

Forgive my newbie nature, but is it the hardware or the software of the Orange San Francisco that makes it much better than the LG GT540? I'm seriously considering ditching my LG GT540 as her sluggish nature is causing my to bang my head against a brick wall - constantly.

The truth is I'm rather impatient and when I press a button or slide my finger I want her to respond instantly. My LG GT540 apparently doesn't care for my impatience and instead she prefers to irritate me by lagging.

How responsive do you find the San Fran? Does she respond when you want her to, or does she make you wait? I hate waiting.

The resistive screen on the LG is pretty weak... the SF screen is gorgeous. That alone would be enough to sell it to me. :)

The SF isn't as responsive as my Desire or Nexus One, but I don't find it frustrating to use.

P

Guest qwerta369
The SF isn't as responsive as my Desire or Nexus One, but I don't find it frustrating to use.

Is she laggy though?

Another thing, how is typing on her? I find typing on the LG GT540 incredibly frustrating. It's not like I have fat fingers or anything. It's a chore and a half just to send a short text. How do you find the San Fran?

I find typing fine, in par with other devices, there's so many keyboards in the market now, i'm surprised you've not found one you liked.

A capacitive screen will help a lot with the typing experience in fairness.

P

Guest SeanOgoD

Hi people,

My first time posting on here and I just want to get some thoughts on the phone by users if that's okay. Would this phone be good for a first smart phone? I have a Samsung Jet I did like it until Samsung decided to leave the Jet behind and stop doing apps for it. Is the camera really bad indoors/night time? And I heard that there's a hissing sound with the music on the speaker and earphones is that with all the phones or just a random fault?

Thanks

Guest qwerta369

It would appear that this phone is only available for purchase directly from Orange, either through their direct sales channel (phone / web) or from Orange Retail stores. Is that right?

Guest tiggerlator

I think so, its a orange exclusive phone.

Got mine this morning, unlocked it. lovely little phone, flogged my wildfire to get this. The wildfire is ok but the screen is too small, this has a better screen and 512mb ram rather than 384mb the wildfire has.

Nice review paul, these will sell themselves. The guy in the hull orange store even said these phones are creating quite a stir.