WiFi issue

Guest robot1000

Guest daveycarter

Just installed "Fix My WiFi" from the market and now my issues have gone away, the app seems to take care of maintaining and re-establishing the connection, its worked fine all day today.............

Guest ancientyne
Just installed "Fix My WiFi" from the market and now my issues have gone away, the app seems to take care of maintaining and re-establishing the connection, its worked fine all day today.............

WOW might try that sounds like an idea, reverting to the orange rom seems better on reconnecting but it still aint flawless ? so a couple of times so far ive found it on 3g when it had access to my wifi and it didnt connect by itself, so perhaps this wifi issue isnt exclusive to the modaco R2 just much more heavily apparent compared to the OUK rom, i will try this "fix my wifi" app and see whether it makes any difference cheers for the suggestion, is there a program or process that controls WIFI reconnection ? im pondering whether "advanced task killer" (very good can auto kill apps after a certain period of time to free up resources and save energy, and you can tell it to ignore certain programs etc), it might be killing the wifi reconnect code ? but i dont think thats really possible, as i dont think it goes killing system stuff just apps.

Edited by ancientyne

Guest cmberry20

Trying Fix-My-WiFI (Demo) & it seems to be working, no drop outs & the phone reconnects when i switch off the phone or switch off/on the wifi.

yay!

Guest cmberry20

spoke to soon!!!! :lol: B)

I switched of the Wi-fi & switched it back on & now it wont connect & 'Fix-my-wifi' is stuck in a loop where is turing off & on the wifi every 60 seconds.

Arse!!!!!

Hi

I have the Wifi issue to

Will not "autoconnect" to my router. My Pulse and iPhone have no issues with this so it has to be something to do with the way this phone has implemented wifi and the way it connects to some routers

My guess is the issue is in all of the phones but only happens to those with incompatible routers. Has anyone had a replacement phone and found the issue has now gone away ?

I have a Huwai HG520s

I have installed wifi onoff from the market and put a shortcut to my home screen which I use to manually get wifi up again. Not ideal but will do until permanant a fix comes along

ern

Hi

I have the Wifi issue to

Will not "autoconnect" to my router. My Pulse and iPhone have no issues with this so it has to be something to do with the way this phone has implemented wifi and the way it connects to some routers

My guess is the issue is in all of the phones but only happens to those with incompatible routers. Has anyone had a replacement phone and found the issue has now gone away ?

I have a Huwai HG520s

I have installed wifi onoff from the market and put a shortcut to my home screen which I use to manually get wifi up again. Not ideal but will do until permanant a fix comes along

ern

I found wefi good for these annoying reconnects

Guest Simon O
Hi

I have the Wifi issue to

My Pulse has the same issue. I have a Belkin 54g wireless router.

Hi

I have the Wifi issue to

I have a Huwai HG520s

ern

I just tried my mifi (from 3) no issue in reconecting so must be an issue with my router and the way the SanFran talks to it. Maybe 2.2 will fix !

ern

Guest ezablade

Tried using mefi, that was useless, it was worse than before, with me not being able to connect to my router at all. Dumped that and tried Fix Mt Wi-Fi.. so far so good.

Guest Kaiser Wilhelm II

I've found that my SF has drop-out problems with the BT Homehub (original model) at my parents' place when you switch it 'off' (standby) and then back on later Also weak signal indicated even when it's in the same room as the wifi router.

However at my own place with a Belkin router, no problems so far. A pretty decent signal and it doesn't seem to drop out when the phone is turned on after being in standby.

Could be an interoperability issue rather than just a dodgy hardware design/software bug.

Guest sipart

I have a stock SF and a BT Home Hub (wireless N using WPA security - SSID broadcast) and get this issue. My Samsung Galaxy Portal has no such issues and is setup in the same way.

My SF has to have the wifi switched off and on to establish a connection after a certain period of phone sleep (probably 10mins+).

Tried all the different settings and apps (y5 and wifi fixer) and none of them work. Even with wifi sleep policy set to never.

I switch the phone on to bring out of sleep and it just sticks on the Orange data network - if I go into wifi settings it says "Connection Unsuccessful, touch to try again" - touch and select to connect and it's fine.

My screen is set to a 10min timeout.

I notice the MAC vendor code for the SF is 00-26-37 (http://www.coffer.com/mac_find/?string=002637). This is the same as my Galaxy portal and the vendor is Samsung.

So I would come to the conclusion that this is a ZTE software bug either in the implementation of the driver or the version of the wifi driver. It seems the SF's wifi tries to connect too soon and fails due to some other dependant service that hasn't yet to come out of sleep.

I presume only logging a fault with Orange is the way to go?

Guest cmberry20

I think its both a bug on the San Francisco & the routers.

I'm coming to the conclusion that its because the SF doesn’t - by default - have a 'network name' Its blank.

Now, when it connects to a router, the phone is given a IP which is linked to both the network name (blank) & its MAC address. The router will then allocate this IP to the phone & prevent other devices from using it. However, when the wireless signal is lost/broken, the allocation remains in place, but when the phone tries to reattach to the router it can’t because the router gets really confused & doesn’t recognise the phone because its network name is blank. Thus you can’t re-attach to the wireless router.

Some routers work while others struggle with this 'bug'. My Netgear router at home suffers from the 'Cant reconnect' bug, but my spare Belkin router & the router at work are both fine. (All using WPA2)

Of course, i guessing about this, but it seems quite plausible. As soon as i restart my Netgear router (thus clearing previously allocated IPs) the phone connects immediately.

If anyone knows how to allocate the phone a 'network name' let me know & i'll see if it sorts out the problem.

Guest cmberry20
Where are you seeing that this 'network name' is blank?

P

On my router. When the phone is connected it says that the phone doesnt have a network name.

I can see it, its got an IP, i can see its MAC address but no Network name

It diplays my laptops name, my PSP & my main PC, but nothing for the phone.

Does yours display a name?

Edited by cmberry20

No, it just shows blank, but I can easily make it do so.

I do 'adb shell hostname BLADE' then disable and re-nable wifi, and this is what I see... Might be worth a try? If this does help / fix it, it's easy to get it to do it automagically on bootup!

P

hostnameblade.png

Guest cmberry20
I do 'adb shell hostname BLADE' then disable and re-nable wifi

I still have absolutely no idea to do all this 'abd' business.

I tried getting my SF connected to the PC/Laptop but completely failed!!!!

The drivers are right (i think)

androidl.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Guest cmberry20

Sorry, your gonna have to break it down into noob speak.

Ok, I've installed Connectbot.

I've selected the bottom left drop down menu & chosen 'Local'

...now i'm lost!! (sorry for being thick!!)

(this is why i like Windows & DOS!!! )

Edited by cmberry20

Haha!

Now you've chosen local, you should get a 'command prompt'... then just type in 'su' <enter> then 'hostname BLADE' <enter> (both without quotes obviously) and disconnect / reconnect your WiFi.

P

Guest cmberry20

cool. got it.

I guessing the 'network' name only stays on as long as Connectbot is running. So if Connectbot turned off, or the phone restarts the network name is lost.

I will try this tonight when i'm at home as its my home network thats given me the problems.

Thanks again!!

btw - can any one point me the right direction on how to use (a noobs guide - lol) 'adb' on the phone!

Guest cmberry20

aarrrhhh.... why is nothing easy!!!!! ;)

Tried using Connectbot, select local & then enter. (i didnt enter a nickname)

The 'command prompt' opened, but when ever i enter anything it says 'Permission Denied'

This also happens when i use a nickname as well.

:)