WiFi issue

Guest robot1000

Have any of you with the wifi issue tried setting the screen timeout to 10 minutes?

This, combined with setting the Wifi sleep policy to never, sorts out mine

Guest jdtanner
Have any of you with the wifi issue tried setting the screen timeout to 10 minutes?

This, combined with setting the Wifi sleep policy to never, sorts out mine

Turning my wifi sleep settings to never seems to stop it...but I'd imagine that this is a drain on the battery?

John

**Edit**

Actually, scrub that...it stil forgets the wifi connection after sleep :)

Edited by jdtanner

Turning my wifi sleep settings to never seems to stop it...but I'd imagine that this is a drain on the battery?

John

**Edit**

Actually, scrub that...it stil forgets the wifi connection after sleep :)

I turn it off manually when I want using the Power Control widget. You set the screen timeout to 10 mins?

Guest oh!dougal
Me to

Does not matter if I have bluetooth on or off still have wifi issue

Same here, after sleep wifi isn;t reconnecting automatically ;)

BTW, cheers for all the amazing work Paul et al! :)

So, are we to assume that you are both using "modified" roms?

Is anyone having this problem with the standard phone (with Bluetooth off)?

Guest ezablade

Just do a search on Android wi-fi problems, you'll find it's not just the SF, it's every make under the sun. You'll find forums on HTC, Samsung, Motorola etc, all sorts of modems, all sorts of suggestions and on Android from 1.6 to 2.2 at least....

No I am still running standard rom. Only thing I have done is unlocked to all networks via nck unlock

PS I am reasonably happy with the standard rom. I just wish I could remove the Orange apps which I do not use to free up a bit of space and have a few less icons to scroll through !

ern

Guest Kaiser Wilhelm II

Having earlier reported that I don't have the not reconnecting problem with my Belkin router, it is indeed happening sporadically. Not as much as with a BT homehub though.

Let's hope that they can get this sorted - given than you can easily reconnect manually it surely can't be hard for someone to make a patch to recheck a few seconds after going out of standby?

Guest Tony Fonda

I am not a programmer (can't even get my head around the simplified App Inventor tool)!, but the natural thought that comes to mind is writing a line of script that commands Wifi to turn Off, then On when the phone wakes up after sleep.

That should guarantee wifi working (with 10 seconds delay for the operation).

Would that work? Anyone has the skills to write a small program that can replicate our action of turning off the Wifi and on again to re-enable it?

Tony

Errata: would the app called "Tasker" be designed to do the above?

Edited by Tony Fonda

Guest jdtanner

I'm on the V3 rom using a BT Homehub...

Guest sensory
Would that work? Anyone has the skills to write a small program that can replicate our action of turning off the Wifi and on again to re-enable it?

Tony

Errata: would the app called "Tasker" be designed to do the above?

There's a few apps on the market that already do that. Fix My Wifi works quite well, but of course it doesn't "fix" the problem, only does automatically what you have to do to restart the connection.

Guest Tony Fonda
There's a few apps on the market that already do that. Fix My Wifi works quite well, but of course it doesn't "fix" the problem, only does automatically what you have to do to restart the connection.

any free app doing the same job as Fix my Wifi?

Guest sipart
I'm on the V3 rom using a BT Homehub...

I had the problem on stock rom and same problem now I've gone to R3.

I have a BT homehub (wireless N, WPA).

My Samsung Galaxy Portal (android 2.1) never has this problem (wifi set to go off when screen goes off).

Wireless set to never sleep and 10min screen timeout on SF.

Tried all the wifi fixer apps suggested - they don't work.

The wifi hardware is the same as in my Samsung (its Samsung - you can tell by the MAC address - first 6 characters are the vendor code).

EDIT - My Samsung Galaxy is seen on my router as unknown (no network name) - just like the SF - but the Samsung always works fine.

I've just mailed Orange with all the detail - don't really expect much of a response but hey it's worth a go.

http://help.orange.co.uk/orangeuk/support/...tacting-us/payg

Edited by sipart

Guest cmberry20

I still think its a bug with the phone that only affects certain routers with a certain settings.

I have the 'Wifi Bug' with my router at home (Netgear DG834Gv5). My phone only connects once the router is reset. However, if it looses the wifi signal or i turn off the wifi on the phone, it wont reconnect. The phone can see the router but wont establish a connection unless i restart the router.

However, i dont get this problem at work. And i've tried two other routers at home. All work 100%. I can switch off the phone, turn off wifi, let the phone sleep, let wifi turn off when the screen goes off. I always get a connection back again.

So, for some reason my Netgear router wont let the phone re-join. I'm sure its something to do with the phone not having a network name. (its blank)

Edited by cmberry20

Guest Commadus

I have gone from normal to airplane mode twice and turned off the phone as well and wifi works fine.

Using stock rom and no bluetooth with a zyxel and d-link router.

Guest sipart
So, for some reason my Netgear router wont let the phone re-join. I'm sure its something to do with the phone not having a network name. (its blank)

See my edited post above - my Samsung Galaxy Portal works fine and is 'seen' by the router as unknown just like the SF.

I have gone from normal to airplane mode twice and turned off the phone as well and wifi works fine.

Using stock rom and no bluetooth with a zyxel and d-link router.

Mine is also fine when you switch off the wifi and back on (like airplane mode would) and also fine when switching the phone on - the problem occurs when it comes out of sleep after a period of time - you have to turn the wifi off and back on again OR go into wifi settings - see the error connecting message and tap to try again and it's fine.

Guest Tony Fonda
any free app doing the same job as Fix my Wifi?

I can confirm that I fixed my problem using Tasker (with no prior training whatsoever :))

simple sequence: If screen off Then Switch Wifi off Then Switch Wifi on.

Voila!

Guest Commadus
Mine is also fine when you switch off the wifi and back on (like airplane mode would) and also fine when switching the phone on - the problem occurs when it comes out of sleep after a period of time - you have to turn the wifi off and back on again OR go into wifi settings - see the error connecting message and tap to try again and it's fine.

Right I have just had the same problem.

After about 10 minutes I turned the phone on and there was no wifi. I now cannot connect without turning the wifi off and then back on. Touching the connection settings to reconnect does not work.

I only got the phone today. If this persists I will return it.

Guest Blasphemous

My tuppence worth...

I have the Wifi dropping issue BUT, when the phone is being charged it NEVER loses Wifi even if the screen closes and locks. I assume therefore that it's a power management issue?

Edited by Blasphemous

Guest oh!dougal
Right I have just had the same problem.

After about 10 minutes I turned the phone on and there was no wifi. I now cannot connect without turning the wifi off and then back on. Touching the connection settings to reconnect does not work.

I only got the phone today. If this persists I will return it.

Just in case you hadn't discovered it, there is a homescreen widget that will let you very easily turn wifi off and on -- should it ever be needed.

Its installed by default on the far left homescreen of the Orange version, though you could install it on any of the panes.

A long press on a blank part of the homescreen background brings up the menu. "Power Control" is among the Android Widgets. And the new widget will be initially positioned centred, if possible, on your press location.

Guest Commadus

Installed the wifi fixer it works kinda.

I have 2 wifi points in my house, one upstairs one downstairs. When the phone comes back from sleep the wifi fixer swaps the connection from upstair to down and vice versa. So I still have to uses the wifi on/off on the main screen.