WiFi issue

Guest robot1000

Guest oh!dougal
Well I just found out that if wifi is enabled and up and running, the phone doesn't seem to want to pair with my laptop. If is disable wifi, then pairing works...wonderful :)

See posts 121 and 122 in this topic, and the post quoted from the other thread.

Guest jdtanner
See posts 121 and 122 in this topic, and the post quoted from the other thread.

Yeah, I knew there were minor bluetooth issues...the pairing one was new to me. Apparently the wifi and bt chip are the same thing, so thereis probably a driver conflict...meh.

John

Guest mike557

Just doing some further testing and so far the results are 'problem solved' !!!!!

I wanted the front buttons working like on the Pulse instead of having to press the power button every time to use the phone.

So this thread although not completely solving the button problem, has SO FAR fixed my wifi issue :)

I was seriously thinking about returning the phone (my 7 day return period finishes on Monday) because the wifi disconnecting meant that I was using the mobile network (for background tasks) and therefore potentially generating charges.

Appreciate the battery aspects of using wifi continuously but prefer battery life to cost for data.

Hope that helps others to diagnose what the disconnect problem is, and also gives extra functionality for powering up the phone.

Guest AndyHibberd

I don't want to jinx it but my WiFi seems to be working now... Consistently too...

Not sure what I did although I did notice it working after installing an app called Airplane WiFi or similar which was for using WiFi during a flight, it seems the app was not needed cos I have widgets to do the same but it looks like something got fixed. I hope. Time will tell.

This wi-fi disconnection problem had been driving me mad, but I've finally found a tiny, simple and free app that works around the problem perfectly. It's called 'WiFi Auto ReEnabler' (AppBrain link). Install, run, then select the 'Disconnect then reconnect' option (don't use auto reassociate, that doesn't help).

What it does: If wi-fi is disconnected when you wake your phone from sleep, it quickly switches wi-fi off and then back on again, re-establishing the connection. If you've been having this problem, this is what you will have been doing to fix it yourself, but manually and obviously a lot slower. If you wake your phone up and wi-fi is already working, it recognises this and doesn't bother cycling the wi-fi, which is just how you'd want it to work.

I've been testing it since last night and it seems like the perfect workaround so far. Obviously it would be nice to not have the issue in the first place, but this is the next best thing. :)

Guest Bradmax57
This wi-fi disconnection problem had been driving me mad, but I've finally found a tiny, simple and free app that works around the problem perfectly. It's called 'WiFi Auto ReEnabler' (AppBrain link). Install, run, then select the 'Disconnect then reconnect' option (don't use auto reassociate, that doesn't help).

What it does: If wi-fi is disconnected when you wake your phone from sleep, it quickly switches wi-fi off and then back on again, re-establishing the connection. If you've been having this problem, this is what you will have been doing to fix it yourself, but manually and obviously a lot slower. If you wake your phone up and wi-fi is already working, it recognises this and doesn't bother cycling the wi-fi, which is just how you'd want it to work.

I've been testing it since last night and it seems like the perfect workaround so far. Obviously it would be nice to not have the issue in the first place, but this is the next best thing. :)

Many thanks for that info, just installed it and it works great as a work around till we get an official fix ;)

Guest philmein

to solve wifi issues on R3 rom

go to wifi settings/menu/advanced/wifi sleep policy/never/save/

presto solved.

Edited by philmein

Guest zuccster
to solve wifi issues on R3 rom

go to wifi settings/menu/advanced/wifi sleep policy/never/save/

presto solved.

That was certainly the *first* thing I tried, and it wasn't effective for me...

experiencing same issue regarding no wireless after screen inactivity. in the wlan settings for my router (Zyxel P660HWP-D1) i have the ability to edit the reauthetication timer (currently set at 1800 seconds) might playing with this value have some effect. or has the router been eliminated as a contributing factor?

will have a play and see.

Oddly never had this issue until yesterday when i upgraded my wireless Adsl Router.Had been using a very old speedtouch for many years.

I wonder if ths is just coincidence?

@PabUK - thanks works a treat

@jay686 - the issues do seem to be associated with certain routers (but a SanFran wifi driver/wifi sleep issue rather than your router) - so a change of router is the reason.

Edited by sipart

Guest cmberry20
Oddly never had this issue until yesterday when i upgraded my wireless Adsl Router.Had been using a very old speedtouch for many years.

I wonder if ths is just coincidence?

No its not a coincidence. Some routers just dont like how the phone handles wi-fi. I've found my Netgear router doesnt like the phone, however, i have tried it on 3 other routers without any issue.

I'm still think its got something to do with the phone not having a network name, & because of this the router gets really confused.

I'm still think its got something to do with the phone not having a network name, & because of this the router gets really confused.

Its not the lack of a network name as my Samsung Galaxy Portal gets registered with my BT Home Hub in exactly the same way and that works perfectly. In fact as mentioned before the wifi hardware vendor is the same in the Samsung as in the SanFran (it's a Samsung chipset). I suspect the issue is the implementation of the driver in the SanFran and associated software settings (not user configurable ones - ones at the operating system level). If someone knows where to look than the settings could be compared to a working handset perhaps? (like the Samsung Galaxy Portal) - samdroid is the best and most technical forum for Samsung Android phones - if someone can tell me what I need to ask for I can post a query (as I'm registered already etc).

Cheers

Guest Sheshka

I'm not sure if this has been covered yet, but my SanFran seems to only drop the connection when the screen is off and it isn't on USB power.

I can connect fine on my home router, but the WPA wireless at work it has trouble with, and over the course of a couple of days I've come to notice that the connection never dropped when the screen was off, so long as it was plugged in.

Would it be possible for other people to try this to see if they still experience issues?

It could be that sleep policies for discharging and charging are different, and if that's true, wouldn't it be possible for a hack to force (possibly rooted) phones to use the charging wifi sleep policy?

Just removed com.schwimmer.android.wifistatus.apk using ADB, and it seems to have stopped the Wi-Fi problem permanently for me, every other option here including PabUK's didn't seem to do it for me, but this did, even solved the Wi-Fi being disconnected at boot.

Strangely it still exists in "Manage applications" anyone have any idea why? Have I forgotten to remove something else?

Just removed com.schwimmer.android.wifistatus.apk using ADB, and it seems to have stopped the Wi-Fi problem permanently for me, every other option here including PabUK's didn't seem to do it for me, but this did, even solved the Wi-Fi being disconnected at boot.

Strangely it still exists in "Manage applications" anyone have any idea why? Have I forgotten to remove something else?

What does the 'com.schwimmer.android.wifistatus.apk' app do?

As far as I can tell from the rom's kitchen, it basically tells you when you have Wi-Fi enabled, but aren't connected to a network, but I think that was some how really messing with the Wi-Fi reconnecting after sleep. It's not something I feel I needed, so I removed it.

Can anyone with experience of the android file system tell me if another file is still there that's making the "Manage applications" menu show that file even though I've RM'd it and rebooted?

Edited by cobhc

Guest jimbobvfr400
As far as I can tell from the rom's kitchen, it basically tells you when you have Wi-Fi enabled, but aren't connected to a network, but I think that was some how really messing with the Wi-Fi reconnecting after sleep. It's not something I feel I needed, so I removed it.

Can anyone with experience of the android file system tell me if another file is still there that's making the "Manage applications" menu show that file even though I've RM'd it and rebooted?

No idea. However I just this moment upgraded to R4 using the kitchen and deselcted the WiFi notification thingy and reflashed.

So far I've been reconnected to WiFi after waking from sleep everytime my device has slept so far. Not many mind but looks promising

Yeah, I'm just downloaded a rebaked R4 rom. Forgot to select the android launcher first time, and I think that's why it wouldn't boot for me lol, I've deselected that app as well.

Guest tonycornholio

Anyone able to give me an idiots guide to removing the apk using ADB - all greek to me and I don't want to go through the hassle of reflashing the ROM.