Root LG GT540 with 1 click running 2.1 OS

Guest joestone

Guest joestone

This topic is made for people who is not able to follow the original guide and want to root their phone.

This guide was made in cooperation with doubletakeit.

!!!! Use it to Your own risk !!!!!!

This is simple method. Download the zip file. Extract it. Find the extracted rootgt540 folder and open it from your favorite file manager.

Put Your phone to USB Debugging mode , and double click to root.bat found in the rootgt540 folder. After the phone reboots it is rooted.

To unroot the Phone turn on USB Debugging mode , double click to the unroot.bat in the gt540 folder.

[/urindex.php?act=attach&type=post&id=63708l]

Navigate to settings.

[/urindex.php?act=attach&type=post&id=63708l]

Select it.

[/urindex.php?act=attach&type=post&id=63709l]

Select application.

[/urindex.php?act=attach&type=post&id=63710l]

Turn on USB Debugging mode.

[/urindex.php?act=attach&type=post&id=63711l]

post-767487-1286023428_thumb.png

post-767487-1286023567_thumb.png

post-767487-1286023760_thumb.png

post-767487-1286023772_thumb.png

post-767487-1286023962_thumb.png

rootgt540.zip

Edited by joestone

Guest new123

Will give this a try. Does the unroot script definately work and unroot the phone?

If possible could you create a script or a guide on how to set up and use apps2sd on the gt640, ive looked around the net and cant really make sense of the guides, with having to create partitions etc on the sd card, so a step by step guide would be a big help.

Also, are there any downsides to running apps frmo the sd card instead of internal memory?

What re the benifeits of rooting the phone too, aaprt from being able to remove the built in apps, and using apps2sd, what are the other advantages?

Edited by new123

Guest joestone
Will give this a try. Does the unroot script definately work and unroot the phone?

If possible could you create a script or a guide on how to set up and use apps2sd on the gt640, ive looked around the net and cant really make sense of the guides, with having to create partitions etc on the sd card, so a step by step guide would be a big help.

Also, are there any downsides to running apps frmo the sd card instead of internal memory?

What re the benifeits of rooting the phone too, aaprt from being able to remove the built in apps, and using apps2sd, what are the other advantages?

Yes , after unroot and try to run su it says permission denied.

I am not planning to make a guide . Sorry.

According to my opinion there is no difference running apps from sd or from phone internal memory.Maybe from sd it will be a litle bit slower , but normally you will not notice anything.

There are applications on the market which require root access to the phone, for example Barnacle or Titanium backup.

Guest new123

How easy it apps2sd to get working on this phone? Have you sucessfully set up apps2sd on the gt540?

If you are not planning on making a guide for setting up apps2sd then do you know of anywhere that has a good tutorial or information on how to get it working and all the steps required with partitioning etc..

Guest RottenFoxBreath

I gave up using gparted, and used this guide here

using method 1..

Worked a treat, and also give you an insight into Linux, if you ever need it again(which you probably will.) :lol:

None really, every app I've tried runs just the same...and depending on the size of your memory card, with Apps2SD you can have 10 or more times the space available.

Guest new123

Is there a limit to the ammount os space you should allocate for apps on the sd card, I reas some places said not really to go over about 750mb, and some being 1.5g as it can cause problems?

When you use apps2sd can you choose which apps you want to have on the sd, and also have some on the internal memory..

FOr example i would like to set up apps2sd and have my downloaded apps on the sd card, but system apps, such as google maps (which currently has an update to 4.5.1) and other factory installed apps that have updates, i would like to install the updates for them on the internal memory. Can this be done, or once you install apps2sd do you have no control over it and it just puts all apps onto the sd card that you download?

Guest new123
I gave up using gparted, and used this guide here

using method 1..

Worked a treat, and also give you an insight into Linux, if you ever need it again(which you probably will.) :lol:

None really, every app I've tried runs just the same...and depending on the size of your memory card, with Apps2SD you can have 10 or more times the space available.

I used ubuntu a while back, so got a little bit of an idea for linux. DO you just create an ext2 partition and thats it all done? I reas on some other forums that you have to create symbolic links to other folders etc??

Guest joestone
Is there a limit to the ammount os space you should allocate for apps on the sd card, I reas some places said not really to go over about 750mb, and some being 1.5g as it can cause problems?

When you use apps2sd can you choose which apps you want to have on the sd, and also have some on the internal memory..

FOr example i would like to set up apps2sd and have my downloaded apps on the sd card, but system apps, such as google maps (which currently has an update to 4.5.1) and other factory installed apps that have updates, i would like to install the updates for them on the internal memory. Can this be done, or once you install apps2sd do you have no control over it and it just puts all apps onto the sd card that you download?

App2sd copies all application from the device to the sd card. I use 3GB for apps, but 750 MB should be enogh.To get app2sd working you have to download gscript from market.You have to download mini partition tool home edition from here :

http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

You need a card reader connected to your pc.

Put the sd card to the reader .

Start the mini partition tool.

Resize the fat partition from the end and leave for example 750MB free after the fat.

apply changes

create an ext2 fs on the free space .

apply changes

eject the card from windows.

put back the sd to the phone.

start gscript on the phone

pressing the menu on your gt540 list a possibility to load script.

Load the app2sd script from the sdcard.

select save.

on the blue screen you will see app2sd.

start it by pressing it.

restart the phone after it finished.

Guest new123

Is the ONLY way of doing this with a card reader connected to the pc? As i dont have a Micro-sd adapter.

Can it not be done with the phone connected to pc in mass storage mode?

As with toher things, if you ever need to revert back frmo apps2sd, can it be changed back so that the apps are just stored back in the phone memory like it is frmo a standard un rooted phone?

Guest joestone
Is the ONLY way of doing this with a card reader connected to the pc? As i dont have a Micro-sd adapter.

Can it not be done with the phone connected to pc in mass storage mode?

As with toher things, if you ever need to revert back frmo apps2sd, can it be changed back so that the apps are just stored back in the phone memory like it is frmo a standard un rooted phone?

I always done that with card reader .

I can't remember , but maybe factory reset restore the original setting.

Guest new123
App2sd copies all application from the device to the sd card. I use 3GB for apps, but 750 MB should be enogh.To get app2sd working you have to download gscript from market.You have to download mini partition tool home edition from here :

http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

You need a card reader connected to your pc.

Put the sd card to the reader .

Start the mini partition tool.

Resize the fat partition from the end and leave for example 750MB free after the fat.

apply changes

create an ext2 fs on the free space .

apply changes

eject the card from windows.

put back the sd to the phone.

start gscript on the phone

pressing the menu on your gt540 list a possibility to load script.

Load the app2sd script from the sdcard.

select save.

on the blue screen you will see app2sd.

start it by pressing it.

restart the phone after it finished.

Ive downloaded gscript lite frmo the market, that should do it yeah?

Where do i download the apps2sd script frmo though?

Guest new123

Does factory reset also unroot the phone?

Guest RottenFoxBreath

The app2SD file, is the one you attached here, Yes?

Guest new123
The app2SD file, is the one you attached here, Yes?

Ive downloaded the attachment now.

Do I need all of the files in that zip file, or just a2sd.sh?

Edited by new123

Guest joestone
Does factory reset also unroot the phone?

factory reset unroot the phone.This version.

There is a possibilty to let it after factory reset , but this was left out .

Edited by joestone

Guest joestone
Ive downloaded the attachment now.

Do I need all of the files in that zip file, or just a2sd.sh?

copy all folders(2) found in the zip to the sdcard.

Guest new123

Ok ive created an ext2 partition, copied the apps2sd folder to the sd card that you attatched, yet it says

stderr: failed

stderr: mount: no such file or directory

Guest joestone
Ok ive created an ext2 partition, copied the apps2sd folder to the sd card that you attatched, yet it says

stderr: failed

stderr: mount: no such file or directory

Was the gscript folder also copied to the root of the sdcard ?

Guest new123

OK i think it seesm to have worked now?

SHould the "internet phone storage" ammount have gone up in sd and phone storage in settings, or will it just ramain at the default.

Mine is 109mb currently, and i installed another app and it stayed at 109, is that what its meant to do?

Is it possible to browser to the folder where all the apps are now stored? Im using astro file manager.

Guest new123

It seems to all be working now, joestone.

DO you know how to remove app2sd should I ever want to remove it.

I konw how to remove the ext2 partition and format the sdcard as fat32, but what would i do in order to get rid of the app2sd side of things nad have the apps stored back on the phones internal memory.

Guest joestone

post-767487-1286033109_thumb.png

SHould the "internet phone storage" ammount have gone up in sd and phone storage in settings, or will it just ramain at the default.

Mine is 109mb currently, and i installed another app and it stayed at 109, is that what its meant to do?

Is it possible to browser to the folder where all the apps are now stored? Im using astro file manager.

Internal storage remains the default , Your apps are on the sdcard's ext2 partition. You see it under system/app/ .

There is a check script which should be load to gscript as app2sd and it will show tells you the free space.

post-767487-1286033109_thumb.png

Guest new123

Yeah its all working fine now, thanx :lol:

DO you know the steps involved in order to remove app2sd and go back to the default setting and having apps stoped on the internal memory?

Guest joestone
Yeah its all working fine now, thanx :lol:

DO you know the steps involved in order to remove app2sd and go back to the default setting and having apps stoped on the internal memory?

No , I didn't try it to remove it . My phone contains it in the factory default setting .Try a factory reset if you backup the phone and reroot the phone and install gscript and run check .

Guest RottenFoxBreath

The size will go down, but not by much, I've got 28 apps installed and mine is sitting at 112meg, it was 126meg to start with, so it must be the app cache, that does that.

Your information is held in data/app (using root explorer)