Speaker Phone hmm Deal Breaker ?

Guest ancientyne

Guest ancientyne

Is it just me ? but when im using speaker phone there appears to be huge feedback for the user at the other end of their own voice ? feeding back through my phone so much so than anybody I call with the speakerphone on , immediately complains of wierd noises and and accuses me of having television on loud in the background ? Who else experiences this ?

I know allot of people will use earphones or a headset or in the standard way ? but my personal use pattern involves allot of speaker phone calling ? as the most comfortable solution ?

Anybody else got this issue, im presuming that the mic input is not filtering for the speaker output ?

Is this a big issue for everyone im wondering what can be done about it ? perhaps there are some audio settings or volume levels that help ?

For many of you is a good speakerphone aspect important ? and if the ZTE blade is a bad speakerphone does that put you off ?

I think the mic happens to be low down and at the back of the unit, and the mic likewise situated ?

SF bought last week, unlocked and Custom ROM installed. Using on 02 network. I have also experienced issues with using speakerphone for calls. :)

When on it is very noisy for person on other end, sounds as if a water tap is running. When you speak it clears up a bit but back again when silent. When the other party talks back you can hear it on the SF but they notice their own voice breaking up. Really is unusable.

I've tested it by disabling Wifi and 3G and using on 2G connectivity. When you put the call back to normal (speakerphone off) all is fine.

If it is a design flaw then most users should be experiencing this. Please can you try it out and post your feedback? thanks.

Do not want to call orange and have the hassle of replacing it, if its a design flaw. May have to just live with it. If its not a design flaw then maybe something can be teaked on a future ROM release for the dialer or mic/speakerphone settings??

Guest clonmult

Used the speaker phone at weekend, it worked absolutely fine.

My only "problem" is that with a regular stereo headset connected, someone at the other end of a call doesn't, er, hear you. Got to disconnect the headset, or maybe just buy an iPhone style headset (ie. 4 core 3.5mm connector).

Guest shawn0

The issue I have with the speaker phone is that the volume is low and a bit muffled.

No one has complained about my speech to them. YET! ;)

Thing is though video and Youtube playback is great so it may be a software issue. :)

clonmult thanks for your feedback. Ou of interest was the SF held in your hand or docked. Ive not tried the audio jack yet.

Done some further testing, here's what i've found.

With the back cover removed or unclicked on the bottom (especially right hand side) humming clears considerably.

When on speakerphone, if you place your hand, fingers over the bottom right side speaker then major interference.

Looks like a faulty speaker maybe? Also looks like some special tape on the bottom of the phone when the cover is removed, maybe thats not be placed correctly.

Please continue to post your own experiences and maybe try placing your hand on the side speaker bottom right to see if that alters anything. thanks.

Guest clonmult

It was in my hand, for my son to call his mum on saturday night .... we had no problems with sound quality, and the ex wife would no doubt have complained a *lot* if she couldn't hear our lad ....

Although the speaker and microphone are very close to each other, so wouldn't be surprised if there was some interference.

Thanks for the feedback.

ancientyne any update on your situation, have u tried not covering the bottom right speaker or removing the back cover and trying it?

I'll wait till tomorrow for other responses and then decide whether to contact orange and have it replaced/exchanged. Just don't want to end up with another phone which has an issue that is not easy to live with such as wifi constantly dropping etc.

And if it goes back then I will have to flash it back to original ROM. Maybe I could get them to refund me the £10 topup that has not yet appeared on the orange SIM.

Ok got replacement SF. Speakerphone call quality is just slightly better than the 1st set, but still not good. Whilst testing, if u slide ur finger on the back cover this causes noise to go through to the caller on the other end, even when speakerhpone is off.

Really don't know what to do. Could try another replacement. As only a handful of others have responded saying they have had call quality issues I'm still thinking this is not normal with all SF's.

Maybe if I get one of the covers that fits the back/sides completely it may help or could cause the problem to become greater.....

So problem is mainly when held in hand, more with speakerphone active and phone being moved rather than still. And when the speaker on the right is covered with speakerphone on its even worse.

Let me know if urs has similar issues or even if it is really clear in both modes, so I can decide on whether to have it replaced,,,, again :)

Guest oh!dougal

When on speakerphone, if you place your hand, fingers over the bottom right side speaker then major interference.

Looks like a faulty speaker maybe? Also looks like some special tape on the bottom of the phone when the cover is removed, maybe thats not be placed correctly.

Have you looked at pages 20 and 21 of the manual ("San Francisco") ?

Thanks for that. Its probably explains most of the issue. As this set is better than the 1st it looks like it will stay then.

• 1 month later...
Guest Andrew1964

Its not just you ancientyne, I get exactly the same problems. Horrible feedback when on speaker phone and callers complain about noise and echos. :rolleyes:

Guest thomasboyd

I've been having major problems with the SF speaker phone.

I need to use speakerphone for *All my phone use - so I need it to work.

I've had complaints that it sounds like im underwater, a tap running, the callers voice echoing back at them.

Sometimes there seems to be a chronic feedback loop the squawks at them and general low volume of my voice.

What is on page 20 and 21 of the manual regarding speakerphone ?

Guest oh!dougal

Please RTFM before complaining about in-call audio quality!

I've said it before ...

Guest DaneelS
Please RTFM before complaining about in-call audio quality!

I've said it before ...

I don't have the manual to hand, is this it? http://help.orange.co.uk/orangeuk/com.inst...924&Usage=2

I have the same issued raised by others, I can hear fine, the people I'm calling can't. It can't be the way I hold it though, as I usually have it sat on my desk whening using speakerphone.

Guest oh!dougal

The main issue is respecting the position of the antenna within the phone - if your hand is too close, you'll get all sorts of buzzing.

Knowing where its located is the first part of the solution.

Flat on a hard table isn't ideal, because you get all sorts of echos and acoustic effects from that hard surface. Radio Shack used to make a magic microphone that actually exploited those effects, it still sells used (and 20 years old) for £100 or more (way more than it cost new IIRC).

With the microphone being so low, and round the corner, its going to be open to issues like that.

Better to set it on something softer (less echo-ey) like a book or writing pad, rather than on a hard empty desk or table. Try it!

Edited by oh!dougal

Guest thomasboyd
The main issue is respecting the position of the antenna within the phone - if your hand is too close, you'll get all sorts of buzzing.

Knowing where its located is the first part of the solution.

Flat on a hard table isn't ideal, because you get all sorts of echos and acoustic effects from that hard surface. Radio Shack used to make a magic microphone that actually exploited those effects, it still sells used (and 20 years old) for £100 or more (way more than it cost new IIRC).

With the microphone being so low, and round the corner, its going to be open to issues like that.

Better to set it on something softer (less echo-ey) like a book or writing pad, rather than on a hard empty desk or table. Try it!

WOW what a post!

Thanks Dougal!

i've been doing alot of the rooky errors you mentioned, will test out your fixes shortly

• 4 weeks later...
Guest thomasboyd

tested out holding the phone correctly as shown in the manual.

Not placing it on a desk etc.. small improvement but still not anywhere near usable.

sending it back - a phone without a speaker is junk to me.

Guest cool_droid
tested out holding the phone correctly as shown in the manual.

Not placing it on a desk etc.. small improvement but still not anywhere near usable.

sending it back - a phone without a speaker is junk to me.

I had a problem when using the speaker (hands-free) phone calls. The other person would say that I sound like I was under water. Had the phone replaced due to another problem (stopped reading sdcard) and now the hands-free call work fine.

Get yours replaced.... ;)