[ROM] 31/Jan r9: de-orangeated ROM for ZTE Blade / Orange San Francisco [eclair] [OLED+TFT]

Guest Sebastian404

Guest Sebastian404
First post here.

Purchased 2 blades yesterday, applied your modified clockwork-recovery and then your R7 ROM image with no problems - everything seems great so far :0

My query is, I have read about rooting and installing superboot before installing clockwork on other ROM images - is this necessary? I see the superuser icon in the menu, and was able to unlock the phone too, am I missing anything by not installing superboot or the clockwork-recovery from the market?

There is no need to root or superboot your device.... ALL you need to do is:

- restart device in bootloader (vol up)

- flash clockworkmod with fastboot

- install alternative firmware with ClockworkMod.

Well that makes no sense.... since setting it to that works too, but ZTE-BLADE does not....

I'm running BladeVillain and awhile back I'd tidied up the BuildProp and had set ro.product.model=ZTE BLADE. I tried that mobile MafiaWars site and got the error like Lance posted in post 641. I then changed it to ro.product.model=BLADE and the page renders but I get a popup saying my device isn't supported and it seems to be under the impression I have a Samsung Behold 2 lol. Changing it to ro.product.model=Orange San Francisco allows the page to properly display.

Guest oh!dougal

My query is, I have read about rooting and installing superboot before installing clockwork on other ROM images - is this necessary? I see the superuser icon in the menu, and was able to unlock the phone too, am I missing anything by not installing superboot or the clockwork-recovery from the market?

Superboot is an old method from before Clockwork existed for the Blade.

Install Clockwork and then use it for easily loading any alternate (using) software sets ("roms").

Note that you only see the icon for Superuser because that is included in Seb's r7 package that you have installed.

Clockwork can even do a backup ("Nandroid") of your complete running system.

Take a backup snapshot of your system after you have finished setting up your accounts etc.

Take another before trying out any significant change to your phone.

That way you can restore a nicely running system if the experiment is a step backwards!

(Just remember to delete any old out-of-date backups to save space on your sdcard.)

Guest reluctant_traveller
There is no need to root or superboot your device....

Thank you, and thanks oh!dougal for clarification and advice. Have now also flashed my wifes phone too :(

Guest Len Ash
Thank you, and thanks oh!dougal for clarification and advice. Have now also flashed my wifes phone too :(

I've reverted to Paul's R4 - with my own slight customisations (old apps updated, some crud removed, Wifi driver updated and errors/omissions in build.prop sorted) - for necessary stability and usability.

Edited by Len Ash

Guest mELIANTE

My light and proximity sensors are not working propperly... Sometimes the keys light up only after I cover the front sensors and sometimes the proximity sensor stops working in the middle of a call, making me press random buttons with my ear :(

Any advice? Would replacing sensors.default.so and goldfish.sensors.so with the ones from R6 fix this?

Thank you.

Guest reluctant_traveller
I've reverted to Paul's R4 - with my own slight customisations (old apps updated, some crud removed, Wifi driver updated and errors/omissions in build.prop sorted) - for necessary stability and usability.

The phones I bought are TFT, if only someone could apply the modifications to the 08 firmware

Guest lordofangels

Seb,

if you get time could you check the GPS on r8,

with no WiFi on, or Assisted on, it failes to pick up a location.

Thanks

LoA

Edited by lordofangels

Superboot is an old method from before Clockwork existed for the Blade.

Gah! I wish I had read this before I rooted with Superboot!

I thought this was the first step before installing Clockwork.

It gave my phone a dark blue tint, making it very hard to see screen.

I flashed Clockwork and the tint remained.

Installing de-orangeated fixed it though thankfully.

Your reply could have saved me an 'oh ____!' moment though. :(

Guest lordofangels
Seb,

Thanks

LoA

I know your busy with getting ready to escape our fair isle, and working on 2.2,

but did you manage to take a look at the GPS on r8?

Thanks Seb

LoA

Guest oh!dougal
Seb,

How long a time are you giving it to try?

The whole point of those "assists" to location is that they give GPS a clue as to your approximate position.

Without the "rough estimate" of where about on the globe you might be, GPS has much more work to do to compute your position.

And the fewer GPS satellites "in view" the harder still it becomes to compute a "fix" of your location.

GPS satellite signals don't pass very well through buildings, or even trees.

So, you were outdoors, in an open area, when you tested it as "not working", were you?

Guest lordofangels
How long a time are you giving it to try?

The whole point of those "assists" to location is that they give GPS a clue as to your approximate position.

Without the "rough estimate" of where about on the globe you might be, GPS has much more work to do to compute your position.

And the fewer GPS satellites "in view" the harder still it becomes to compute a "fix" of your location.

GPS satellite signals don't pass very well through buildings, or even trees.

So, you were outdoors, in an open area, when you tested it as "not working", were you?

Yes too all the above,

just get a unable to locate your location or similar message.

Guest lordofangels
seems like he has r8 on his download site now?! whats new?

Been using this for a while-Never seen a change Log,

great ROM as always from Seb,

the only prob i've come across is the GPS will only pick up a couple of Sats

Guest whatsupduck

Hi, i am new here,i am new to the android OS and own a ZTE Blade (looked good 1st choice to play with with good spec at good price) brought yesterday so is only a tft model,i am looking to debrand it as i dislike all the orange rubbish that comes with it. Could someone help me please. I downloaded the free clockworkmod from the market but can't select phone in the menu(model not there on free v). Its not a option,i am guessing the zip file for CWM is the ap which can be put on your sd card which will work on your phone off the sd card ? could someone help me out if possible please, it would be much appreciated.I don't understand how i go about it as i just want to debrand to get rid of everything oranging as i hate it all :( I don't understand as other guides involve sending comands on your pc or does that app do it for you or am i confused with roms ect thanks

How would i back up to prevent ruining my phone also

Thanks in advance for any help

Have a good evening everyone ;)

Edited by whatsupduck

Guest protocold

Is this a feature or a bug?

Whenver I turn on the phone, the unlock screen will show the accumulated missed call I had, this number will keep adding up every time I turn on the phone. How do I get clear it?

Guest PsychoChimp

Hey Seb,

I know you're busy messing with the 2.2 ROM but is R8 ready to use or should we still use R7 + Update1?

Just need to flash a stock ROM for a relative and want the latest version as I won't be able to update it too often...

Thanks

Guest Sebastian404
Can't downlod this Seb, your website must still be down.

I've right in the middle of trying to do 6 different things at once.. but yeah your right... GRRRRRRR

There's a DDOS attack going on, either on my site directly or the VP it's running under, or maybe California as a whole, they are not being clear...

hopefully I'll have it back up later today....

Guest Simon O
I've right in the middle of trying to do 6 different things at once.. but yeah your right... GRRRRRRR

There's a DDOS attack going on, either on my site directly or the VP it's running under, or maybe California as a whole, they are not being clear...

hopefully I'll have it back up later today....

What the heck? Do you host the server yourself or is it with a hosting company?