Hi all, just bought my first smartphone.

Guest plasmahal

Guest plasmahal

Hi all,

I have just bought my first smartphone.

I've been using SE k770i for a couple of years now and liked the thought of moving to something new.

I primarily wanted a smart-phone for music, video, wi-fi at home and hot-spots, games and a touch-screen.

I been liking the Samsung Galaxy S for a while, but one issue, the price.

I'm been using Pay as you go for a while and was intending to stay that way for a while.

So after a bit of looking around, I heard Orange were bringing out an android smart-phone for £99, sweet.... ;)

I went in, had a demo, played around with it etc.

The screen is very good and that really sold it to me as well as being more flexible being open source (no locking down by apple here).

So i got myself the San Francisco. :)

I've had the phone a few days now and still learning all it's functions.

Had some issues downloading apps from the android market, but seem to be getting past those now.

Also, I've had to turn of the 3G function, as it ate over £10 of credit just sitting there. It wasn't trying to download anything that I could see, but data was being used somewhere. The guys in the Orange shop weren't hugely helpful about this. I doubt if I'll be able to get that credit back from Orange.....

So, what can I do now to get the most out of my new phone?

I'll be doing lots of reading on these forums, as there seems to be a lot of San Francisco users here.

see you around.

Guest JackDSParker
Hi all,

I've been using SE k770i for a couple of years now and liked the thought of moving to something new.

I primarily wanted a smart-phone for music, video, wi-fi at home and hot-spots, games and a touch-screen.

I'm been using Pay as you go for a while and was intending to stay that way for a while.

So after a bit of looking around, I heard Orange were bringing out an android smart-phone for £99, sweet.... :(

The screen is very good and that really sold it to me as well as being more flexible being open source (no locking down by apple here).

So i got myself the San Francisco. ;)

Had some issues downloading apps from the android market, but seem to be getting past those now.

Also, I've had to turn of the 3G function, as it ate over £10 of credit just sitting there. It wasn't trying to download anything that I could see, but data was being used somewhere. The guys in the Orange shop weren't hugely helpful about this. I doubt if I'll be able to get that credit back from Orange.....

I'll be doing lots of reading on these forums, as there seems to be a lot of San Francisco users here.

see you around.

hi there, mee to it ws my first smart phone :) LG optimus Gt540

All i can say is it does get just like any other phne, i too am on orange PAYG and it drained my credit so i turned off all things to do with internet and now it wont work FML right? lol

Hi all,

So after a bit of looking around, I heard Orange were bringing out an android smart-phone for £99, sweet.... :)

see you around.

Set the phone to connect to the WiFi router at home and work.

And get some sort of data bundle from your provider (orange in your case)

To me, switching off all the data connections on the phone means disabling 70% of its capabilities (just my 2c)

Hi,

I am also with my first smartphone - Orange San Francisco.

All this talk of new ROMS and rooting - do you need to unlock from Orange before you do that or are the network locks separate from the Android software it is running..

Andy

Hi,

I am also with my first smartphone - Orange San Francisco.

All this talk of new ROMS and rooting - do you need to unlock from Orange before you do that or are the network locks separate from the Android software it is running..

Andy

it is seperated. unlock is purely to unlock the ability to use sim cards from other providers.

Im about to buy this phone, can see the unlock and all appears easy. Now I am new to smart phones and have no idea what ROM or rooting is, do I need to do it, why do I need to do it and what do I get by doing this?

Im about to buy this phone, can see the unlock and all appears easy. Now I am new to smart phones and have no idea what ROM or rooting is, do I need to do it, why do I need to do it and what do I get by doing this?

Don't need to do it. Can just unlock and use another sim. New ROMs give access to additional features - search this board to find out details. I am new to this but removing most if not all of the Orange special effects and adding standard Android ones is one of the attractions which may make you consider this.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest craig17

I think that the Orange data bundles are terrible. Last time I checked it was £5 for just 250MB. If you're going to unlock, I can recommend the GiffGaff network. If you're unaware of who they are, have a look at their website www.giffgaff.com. They offer truly unlimited internet on Pay As You Go (there is no cap) which is impossible to find on any other network, and only for a £10 top up. You also get unlimited texts and 100 minutes for this. There are other goody bags to choose from too giving more minutes for more money. Give their website a browse.

I'm not an advert, just a very satisfied customer. :)

Guest James Kara
it is seperated. unlock is purely to unlock the ability to use sim cards from other providers.

You can't unlock your phone, unless you root it :)

You can't unlock your phone, unless you root it :)

Who told you that - first thing I did. http://www.unlocks.co.uk/ got code within 24 hours for about £5, insert new SIM, phone asks for unlock code you enter it, job done.

Its now on Asda 8p/min, 4p text (Vodaphone network resold) not 3G but then I don't want the data working as its for daughter - wifi does her just fine. When data charges come down to earth I'll reconsider it, right now data isn't worth the price for a teenagers phone.

P.S. Sorry Orange, really like your phone (although you've tried to make it look bad with your branding ... why do that ?), I would have kept it on Orange except zero coverage at home so not an option.

Edited by quails

Guest Butterfly1981

Hi there!

I did the same as you - finally moved from my very old looking Sony Ericsson K770i to the Orange San Francisco. I was with Vodafone, but have unlocked the OSF and popped in the new Tesco Sim. Am expecting transfer of my number today.

I am going potty with how to move my contacts from my old SE to the OSF - any advice please! I am having problems navigating through these forums.

Many thanks in advance and hope to hear from you soon!! :) :(

Hi all,

So after a bit of looking around, I heard Orange were bringing out an android smart-phone for £99, sweet.... :(

see you around.