15/Jan [GUIDE] Installing the MoDaCo Custom Froyo ROM from scratch (and other ROMS)

Guest StevenHarperUK

Guest dwattsy21
I cannot seem to get past this bit.

fastboot-windows flash boot boot.blade.superboot.mcri.r3.img

Each time I try I come up against "Waiting for device" in the command prompt window.

I am using XP

cslogg

I too am getting that, using vista

Guest StevenHarperUK

L

I too am getting that, using vista

I know its a lot to ask, but could you try it from an ubuntu livecd. The livecd is a great tool to have around and makes no change to you current os.

Guest Hostile17

I cannot speak for the others but as the SF does not get past the green man it does not get to the point where it asks if you want to mount or not.

cslogg

Guest burninglord

nice step by step-thanks, only problem was getting phone to stay at 'green android' after first reboot after stage 1. It took many attempts at removing battery/reboot before it finally stayed ready for stage 2 (might be quirky phone ?)

Nice and smooth after that!

Guest dwattsy21
I cannot speak for the others but as the SF does not get past the green man it does not get to the point where it asks if you want to mount or not.

cslogg

Is anybody else getting this? I got the MD% to work by having it in the fastboot folder on the desktop, and the numbers matched up. But on this step, i turn the phone on with the wolume key pressed up, and it stays on the green man. But when i type in the next command it just syas "waiting for device". How do you mount it??

If I can't get this to work, then i will try an ubuntu live cd, just looking in to how to create one now.

Cheers,

Dave

Guest StevenHarperUK

For the live cd

Go. To ubuntu.com. download a 32bit 10.4 live cd image. It will be a .iso file.

Burn this iso to a disk using Imgburn

Change yout bios to boot from cd. Newer bios have f10 or f12 prompts to get a boot menu

Once you re in ubuntu use firefox and a terminal to do everything.

Edited by StevenHarperUK

Guest Blasphemous
If you use this guide and it works, please give me a post so I can see that it's doing it's job.

Also if you spot any typo's - or get stuck because something wasn't clear - please post also.

ta

Steven,

Thank you for taking the time to put this together. I've already got my SF on R2 but I'd like to be able to use A2SD and I see Paul has added that as an option in R3.

As I have already got R2 and therefore have Superuser on the SF, do I need to do stage 1 again if I want to update to R3? Does R3 require a different Superuser? If so, will Superuser just update when I carry out Stage 1 or do I need to delete my current Superuser from the SF? And if so, how would I go about deleting my current Superuser?

Thank you in advance.

Guest StevenHarperUK
Steven,

Thank you for taking the time to put this together. I've already got my SF on R2 but I'd like to be able to use A2SD and I see Paul has added that as an option in R3.

As I have already got R2 and therefore have Superuser on the SF, do I need to do stage 1 again if I want to update to R3? Does R3 require a different Superuser? If so, will Superuser just update when I carry out Stage 1 or do I need to delete my current Superuser from the SF? And if so, how would I go about deleting my current Superuser?

Thank you in advance.

Honestly I don't know. I suspect.you can skip step 1.

If it was me that's what I would do.

Guest blackboab

hi again...well after a few days of not really getting anywhere with my san francisco ...i have got it to the clockworkmode and i have followed this guide closely but i cant see my sd card on my windows 64 computer...i have tries most things but i cant see it...i was wondering if there is any way of getting this zip update onto the card...i think the card has been wiped clean now...thanks..

Guest jdtanner
Honestly I don't know. I suspect.you can skip step 1.

If it was me that's what I would do.

You dont need to do step one or two again unless they change revision number :)

John

Guest JennyCide

Finally registered here especially to say thanks for this post - followed instructions exactly and it all worked first time and took just over five minutes.

Did it on ubuntu as suggested and no problems at all.

Full marks for collating all of the various other threads into one coherent how to.

Guest ukjeff27
This is a great guide. I was a bit apprehensive about trying it but this breaks it down in a nice way.

A lot of people put in a lot of work on this site so a big thank you to Paul and the others who make it easier for the noobs.

I myself am a SUPER noob! anyone on this forum know a shop or private individual who can root the phone for me and install the custom rom (for a small fee!)

[email protected] any help appreciated!

Edited by ukjeff27

Guest bignred84

bit of advice please folks, quite new to all this android phone stuff etc

I eventually rooted my SF with the Rom3

however since then this clockwork malarkey thing has come out

my query is do I still need to do it, & what are the benefits of this clockwork

thanks

Guest dwattsy21
In or near Southampton by the way!

I'll second that, I'm doing my nut trying to get this done. Tried everythign with windows, installed all drivers etc, still says device waiting. So finally decided to create a Ubuntu live cd, tried it in that, but when i went to flash the superboot image (from the fastboot folder i have on the desktop) it wouldnt recognise that the "fastboot-linux" file was in the fastboot folder!

I live near southampton, so I too would love to get somebody to do it for me (for a small fee)

Guest dwattsy21

Wahooooooooooo finally did it today using my workmates linux ubuntu netbook. Did exactly what I did when i tried the Ubuntu live cd but it could actually see the fastboot-linux file on his for some reason. Anyways this may be a dum question, but i downloaded and installed the custom rom which has a download link in the first post. I notice it doesnt have wavesecure or anything on it.

I have baked a custom rom in the kitchen, do I just install this by doing the exact same process but with my own rom instead of the one linked to??

Cheers,

Dave

Guest yee_har

First off - thank you so much Steven for putting this together...and Paul and others for the underlying work.

Had success using Ubuntu 10.10 (on a dual boot) laptop.

Some thoughts:

Stage 1: Rooting the Device

Open a Terminal

cd Desktop/fastboot

md5sum boot.blade.superboot.mcri.r3.img

Check that the outputted MD5 is: 03105bbbf5120535c8921075822a1b67

Might be an idea (for Ubuntu/Linux super-noobs) to make it clear this is two separate commands (and not to do a two line scrape and paste.....no need to guess what this is based on! :) )

Stage 3: Unzip/Install the Rom

Download via ClockworkMod Recovery: r3 - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid Load Balancing)

http://loadbalancing.modaco.com/download.p...lade-signed.zip

(Check the Stage 3 link to make sure this is the latest version)

I downloaded the file by clicking on the link but as a super-noob did initially wonder whether I really needed to "Download via ClockworkMod Recovery". Worth rewording?

In case anybody is shaking their heads at the comments it's only meant to help first-timers.

Again, many thanks.

Edited by yee_har

Guest StevenHarperUK
Some thoughts:

Might be an idea (for Ubuntu/Linux super-noobs) to make it clear this is two separate commands (and not to do a two line scrape and paste.....no need to

I downloaded the file by clicking on the link but as a super-noob did initially wonder whether I really needed to "Download via ClockworkMod Recovery". Worth rewording?

Noted : Both will be merged in to the guide

Guest Jozzo68

Thank you!

After 2 days of owning my first Android I have managed to Root and Flash my Blade thanks to all you fine people posting here.

Big thanks to Paul for his excelent work with the ROMS, tools and all other good stuff I just have started to read about!

Big thanks to Steven for this excelent guide of understandable "1-2-3" steps, and above all-->feeling secure while doing them.

Again, many thanks.

Guest StevenHarperUK
Thank you!

After 2 days of owning my first Android I have managed to Root and Flash my Blade thanks to all you fine people posting here.

Big thanks to Paul for his excelent work with the ROMS, tools and all other good stuff I just have started to read about!

Big thanks to Steven for this excelent guide of understandable "1-2-3" steps, and above all-->feeling secure while doing them.

Again, many thanks.

That gives me a warm glow.

Glad to see you feel secure - it's the ClockworkMod that offers you the safety.

I will keep supporting the post and as soon as the R4 is out (prebaked) I will make the guide target r4 and also explain what Upgrading users need to do (i.e. Skip steps)