Omnia 7 disapointing

Guest adrianhaslett

Guest adrianhaslett

Hi,

I bought one of these phones yesterday and the main 2 things I use MS Operating system devices on have been discontinued.

a) Activsync does not work so I can't sync my works calender up from OutLook

:P Cab files don't work, in fact I can't even transfer any files apart from Video and Music using Zune.

I'm very unhappy.

Guest VulakAerr
Hi,

I bought one of these phones yesterday and the main 2 things I use MS Operating system devices on have been discontinued.

a) Activsync does not work so I can't sync my works calender up from OutLook

:P Cab files don't work, in fact I can't even transfer any files apart from Video and Music using Zune.

I'm very unhappy.

Without wanting to appear unkind, it would appear you've done very little research into the new OS before buying your phone. I'll try to address your issues though (the ones to do with WP7 at least):

A) ActiveSync is no longer the synchronisation method. You should use the Zune Desktop software from the Microsoft website (version 4.7 onwards will be available internationally), use Windows Live for synchronisation, or speak to your IT department at work about Exchange ActiveSync details.

:D Cab files don't work. Indeed. You'll need to make purchases or downloads from the Marketplace. This is the way the market is going, sadly. I expect there will eventually be a method for businesses to side-load custom applications to their devices, but for now you'll need to use the marketplace and Zune desktop.

Enjoy.

Guest adrianhaslett
Without wanting to appear unkind, it would appear you've done very little research into the new OS before buying your phone. I'll try to address your issues though (the ones to do with WP7 at least):

A) ActiveSync is no longer the synchronisation method. You should use the Zune Desktop software from the Microsoft website (version 4.7 onwards will be available internationally), use Windows Live for synchronisation, or speak to your IT department at work about Exchange ActiveSync details.

:P Cab files don't work. Indeed. You'll need to make purchases or downloads from the Marketplace. This is the way the market is going, sadly. I expect there will eventually be a method for businesses to side-load custom applications to their devices, but for now you'll need to use the marketplace and Zune desktop.

Enjoy.

Hi, You are correct, should have looked into this before as above is my main 2 things I use. Can't use Exchange as their is no way in unless the phone allows ftp connections, which it appears it does not. I'm only interested in Calender Sync, is their no way I can do this without using my data connection and vpn ?

Cab files ovouisly I used alot and having to purchase everthing through marketplace is going to kill me as I love things like TomTom navigation.

No SD Slot either, that's poor, does the HD7 have SD Slot ?

Thankyou for your time.

Guest adrianhaslett
where did you get it from Adrian?

i've yet to find anywhere i can get one & am determined not to break and buy the PAYG HD7 from O2!

Hi, I bought it from Orange Store, they have plenty, I also seen them in 3 stores. I paid a premium though, 40PM * 18 Months + £50.

T-Mobile offering a better deal

Guest adrianhaslett
dude same deal on t-mob

http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/pay-monthly...mobile-tariffs/ except u get a flexible booster

and more minutes, I only get 600. I beleive the internet is only 750MB also, where T-Mobile have a better limit and it's fair use.

Should be a T-Mobile rep.

If I can just get TomTom on my phone and syncing calender with Outlook, i'll be happy again.

Guest awarner
No WP7 phone will have an sd port, this means HD7 does not have one.

Not true, then do have them and some devices are more accessible than others.

The problem is they are non removable and removing them will cause a hard reset as there is now just one storage and not lots of seperate units as in the older WM devices.

Outlook does need to be addressed though as I'm pretty screwed without it.

Guest Mysterious Stranger
I expect there will eventually be a method for businesses to side-load custom applications to their devices, but for now you'll need to use the marketplace and Zune desktop.

As of the last tech day I went to( 16th April) the only way was using a 'developer' mode to test apps, not designed for actual deployment. There were quite a few q's about this and Microsoft were adament the only way to get your custom app deployed in the field was to publish it to market place. Que lots of sharp intakes of breath in tha auditorium....

M.S

Guest adrianhaslett

For now to solve the calender sync issue i've joind google calender which syncs with outlook fine and then pulled the google account easily using the windows phone. A bit about the bush and it's costing me data, which is not good. But until a better resolution. It will do.

Please MS, I want Tom Tom, its not fair, bring us back cab file loading and activesync and ill be happy.

Guest awarner

MS is not stopping you from using TomTom, TomTom are stopping you until they make a compatible version.

Activesync will not happen and the same with cab files I expect, but technically you don't need cab files when the only compatible apps at the moment are on the Market Place.

Guest adrianhaslett
MS is not stopping you from using TomTom, TomTom are stopping you until they make a compatible version.

Activesync will not happen and the same with cab files I expect, but technically you don't need cab files when the only compatible apps at the moment are on the Market Place.

I guess you are right, does seem silly being forced to use data allowance to sync calender etc, anything that works via usb data cable would be fine for me. Theirs no setup allowing ftp connection either, I'm sure i saw it on my Omnia 2.

Considering my solution is Google, surely MS should be thinking, don't like that solution must sort that out.

I have apps on my Omnia 2 that are useless now, I likes being able to plug it in and then drag and drop files of my choice to it. I know MS are clamping down but the whole reason I likes Windows Phones were ease of use and not being clamped down on. To me, MS are going the apple way as Zune is basically ITunes as far as I see.

BTW, Surely i'm not the only one with one of these phones, perhaps i'm just the first poster on the forum

Guest ashleighhhh

its a great phone!

I'm really happy with the os, i'm actually please that the buggy active sync and installing cab files have gone well done ms!

Guest awarner

With Outlook and the calender, contacts and email, you can sync this to a Hotmail/Live account and then sync over the air.

Remeber you can sync using a data plan but you can also do it when connected to a WiFi or USB at home etc.

• 3 months later...
Guest Bridger

Hey all,

Im researching WP7s and looking for my first. What phone do you you guys suggest? It looks to me like either the Dell Venue or Omnia, but neither are offered on AT&T. (I spend a lot of time in Idaho and Montana so T-Mobile is not an option). Im okay to buy an unlocked one I just would like some opinions on available phones.

Guest Dado...

maybe in near future when Nokia start to develop WM7 phones, situation for software support be better then now... WM7 phones not support WM5 and WM6.x applications and that is major minus for WM7... if you look for WM7 phone, look for HTC, LG and Samsung models....

• 8 months later...
Guest fatal_g

Seriously?

Do you work for MS?

Your statements both are poor, and quite so - un true.

MS is, has, and almost always will, re-engineer and pay little mind to backwards compatibility. With that said, since MS could have carried forward the favorable features of WM6+ why didn't they? They had their marketing reasons, just like many of us have chosen to avoid WP7 until a change is made. It is most certainly their doing to migrate the platform to a marketplace only environment. They want to capitalize just as Apple has. So, yes, MS IS stopping us from using TomTom & many other tools that existed on the WM6+ platform. How one sided of you to suggest TomTom has to meet MS' and not the other foor, which is MS has to meet its customers desires.

Indeed, MS made a marketing decision, now it is a question of whether it was the right move. I for one was very much anticipating the WM7, but WP7 is a bust 10x over and I will sit back with my WM6+ in hand and accept it. They have to satisfy the customers desires, or the customers have to accept their change. Hopefully the populace will avoid WP7 and smite MS for their "move to the web only" BS. I wish more people were as cynical about facebook, and other services pressing for an all online life. It is a mistake for us to accept it.

Guest awarner

First I do not work for MS and never have, just because I like and personally think WP7 is a very good mobile OS does not automatically mean that I now work for the comapny behind it.

As I have said above MS is not stopping anyone from using TomTom, TomTom themselves have stated that are currently not supporting WP7 so the onus is on them.

WP7 is a completely different OS and has a different structure and so apps etc from Windows Mobile will not work as WP7 does not use cab files so unless they need to be re-written and that is down to the developer of the app and not MS.

From what you have written above it appears that you have not properly tried WP7 of if you have what are the actual issues you have? Apart from writing a reply that is basically very blinkererd and anti MS you have not given any actual reasons why the move to the new OS platform was a bad decision.

As for the move to web only ie using cloud services all the main smartphones are going this way, Android, Iphone etc.

I prefer Activesync or certainly used to, but have moved to Livemail reluctantly initially I am glad I did. I do not actually remember the last time I even looked at Outlook, I just have no need for it now. Cloud has it's advantages especially SkyDrive with the Mango update, I can now access all the documents I need at home, work or on the phone.