3G+

Guest cobhc

Hi All,

I can't seem to get 3G+ on my Blade, even though according to Orange I'm in an Excellent Area for 3G+ reception. My phone displays the 3G logo, but never H or 3G+. I'm using the Alpha Froyo build at the moment, but I've never seen it on 2.1 either.

Anyone else having problems with it?

Guest Stuart_f
Hi All,

I can't seem to get 3G+ on my Blade, even though according to Orange I'm in an Excellent Area for 3G+ reception. My phone displays the 3G logo, but never H or 3G+. I'm using the Alpha Froyo build at the moment, but I've never seen it on 2.1 either.

Anyone else having problems with it?

I had this. With the Orange sim all I get is 3g. In exactly the same place with my T-Mobile sim I get 3g+ so the phone is clearly capable of it.

This is with a stock 2.1 rom.

Ninja edit: Google seems to tell me that the Orange network will provide 3g+ speeds but isn't confugured to display the icon. Not sure I totally believe that though!

Edited by Stuart_f

I had this. With the Orange sim all I get is 3g. In exactly the same place with my T-Mobile sim I get 3g+ so the phone is clearly capable of it.

This is with a stock 2.1 rom.

Could be an Orange SIM problem then, I'll have to look into T-Mobile.

Guest Stuart_f
Could be an Orange SIM problem then, I'll have to look into T-Mobile.

Download speedtest from the market and see what speed you actually get. If you get 3g+ speeds then lets not care about the icon displayed!

Could it be that HSDPA isn't provisioned on PAYG sims? My T-Mobile sim is a contract web'n'walk plus one.

Download speedtest from the market and see what speed you actually get. If you get 3g+ speeds then lets not care about the icon displayed!

Could it be that HSDPA isn't provisioned on PAYG sims? My T-Mobile sim is a contract web'n'walk plus one.

I get a max of 2mbit on Speedtest. And yeah it could be not on PAYG sims.

Yes, I was getting around 280-300KBps using my SF as a modem on my pc. That was until I blew through my 100 meg allowance in minutes :P

Hmm, seems Orange's HSDPA speeds are at the lower end of the scale.

I get around 20-30kb most of the time. Only ever once got the 3G+ symbol ;( I'm on giffgaff(o2)

O2 having a poor HSDPA network is well known. It also doesn't help that there are x million iPhones on o2 that seem to bog the network down even more.

Probably the worst choice of network for 3G in the UK (even though the GiffGaff option is pretty good value).

O2 having a poor HSDPA network is well known. It also doesn't help that there are x million iPhones on o2 that seem to bog the network down even more.

Probably the worst choice of network for 3G in the UK (even though the GiffGaff option is pretty good value).

I was getting the 3g+ symbol until i flashed the froyo rom, will do a speedtest now.

Guest Pseud_ONym
I was getting the 3g+ symbol until i flashed the froyo rom, will do a speedtest now.

I don't get the 3g+ icon with the froyo rom either, but settings>About Phone>Status shows the correct connection protocol.

Guest Pseud_ONym
My phone is showing UMTS on the about phone menu, not HSDPA.

I think that just means you're getting your signal from a new or recently upgraded transmitter. HSPDA works over third generation equipment so you're seeing the beggings of 4g there.

Guest foxmeister
I think that just means you're getting your signal from a new or recently upgraded transmitter. HSPDA works over third generation equipment so you're seeing the beggings of 4g there.

I think you are rather confused! UMTS is part of the early 3G GSM standard, and is slower than HSDPA.

I guess you are thinking about HSPA+ which whilst still technically 3G, allows for 4G like speeds.

Regards,

Dave

Guest Stuart_f

I think you are getting your abbreviations mixed up. UMTS is plain 3g, HSDPA (not HSPDA) is 3G+ and the only pseudo 4G technologies are things like WIMAX and LTE but these aren't in widespread use in UK yet.

Guest Pseud_ONym
I think you are getting your abbreviations mixed up. UMTS is plain 3g,

I'll take your word for it, I was just (mis)remembering what I read on Wiki.

HSDPA (not HSPDA)

Now if you're going to start picking up on every typo on this board you'll be giving yourself a full-time job!