help me understand why...

Guest kainobean

Guest kainobean

ok im just very confused on what the point of some things are within the windows mobile enviorment. such as the page pool: as far as i have read it seems to me that its just ram thats used for paging perpuses... now isnt that what the ram is for in the first place?? maybe im not accuratly understanding this aspect but it seems to me that it makes more since to get rid of the page pool all together and just use the ram as it was intended to temperarily store active processes... and now the other thing that is baffaling me is why windows allocates a chunk of the ram for its modules like the high and low modules? does it really need to reserve ram for things like that? i mean why cant you just not reserve the ram and still use it for the same purposes?? its just really confusing me on why its done like this... i could understand ram being reserved if it was for some intergrated components like video and what not but for windows stuff no it doesnt make sence... i might not be understanding how these things work exactly and would like some clarification on the matter... i dont even know if what i am thinking is going on is even accurate to what is going on but from what i have looked at and seen this is what i think is going on and cant understand why...

Guest JeremyGNJ

I'm not sure i understand all your questions, however I dont doubt that the programmers have reasons for setting up memory management they way they did. In other words...I sure dont know more about the coding of WindowsMobile than the developers do.

What i DO find funny, is that the users think they know more about managing memory than the developers do. Since the very first versions of PocketPC, it was built...intentionally....to just keep all programs in memory until they need to be closed to free up more RAM. These days people jump through hoops to make sure applications are closed down and re-opened all the time, which only serves to use more CPU and thus, drain your battery faster.

One day people will learn that empty RAM...is wasted RAM. The only exception being if you have an app that is CPU intensive and runs in the background...but if an app is CPU intensive, the developer should give you a way to hard-close it.

Guest amdzero
ok im just very confused on what the point of some things are within the windows mobile enviorment. such as the page pool: as far as i have read it seems to me that its just ram thats used for paging perpuses... now isnt that what the ram is for in the first place?? maybe im not accuratly understanding this aspect but it seems to me that it makes more since to get rid of the page pool all together and just use the ram as it was intended to temperarily store active processes... and now the other thing that is baffaling me is why windows allocates a chunk of the ram for its modules like the high and low modules? does it really need to reserve ram for things like that? i mean why cant you just not reserve the ram and still use it for the same purposes?? its just really confusing me on why its done like this... i could understand ram being reserved if it was for some intergrated components like video and what not but for windows stuff no it doesnt make sence... i might not be understanding how these things work exactly and would like some clarification on the matter... i dont even know if what i am thinking is going on is even accurate to what is going on but from what i have looked at and seen this is what i think is going on and cant understand why...

I'm not going to pretend to know it all, but let me put it to you this way.

Pagepool is like cache for programs that are currently running. If you set the pagepool to zero, then windows will "dynamically" control the pagepool. In my experience doing this will decrease the total amount of ram available for opening/closing programs. If you set it too low like 2MB, then programs take an extremely long time to load and react. If you set it to high, the programs run great but eat up available ram. Its kind of like terminal velocity though, as you can't set it to 500MB and expect the programs to run super fast. Depending on the programs you use you may need to adjust the pp for that particular purpose.

This is NOT a swapfile. The WinMo ram was designed this way since PalmPCs. Yeah Windows CE 1.0

The problem back then was not ram space, but programs running in their "own" space. As time evolved and programs grew exponentially the GWES/RAM problem be came more and more evident. HTC has circumvented this problem with extra doses of RAM on their devices, sometimes even 512MB RAM available (after driver allocation). But this is not a fix to the problem, it only allows it more room.

Keeping programs open/closed, doesn't really have that much effect on the system. If the system needs the ram it will take it (without your concent). For example:

Don't expect to run HTC Sense 2.5, Opera Mobile 10, and Garmin at the same time. One is eventually going to get shutdown, and as HTC Sense is more "integrated" into the shell, your probably looking at a O10 closure.

Guest xlightwaverx

32mb things load GREAT, the whole phone runs smooth, but if u try to run more than 2 applications your phone says, uhh, no, or we need more ram to dial this number, etc.

2mb lots of free ram but everything (scrolling, smoothness overall everything) is slloowwww, but you have a lot of ram, and run lots of programs at once, but just have a hard time switching over to them cause the system it self is bogged.

8mb, been running this for a bout a week. i have lockscreen lockups when i get multiple text messages while the phone is locked. gotta mess with it and wait for it to come around.

seems the ideal would be 12-16mb, for titanium based roms.

i would jack it up to 24-32 for SENSE roms because Sense itself needs all the PP just to run itself. plus 32mb pp would probably make the sliders in sense run smooth like everyone elses we are seeing.

just my 2 cents.

X

hmm ok i guess i wont play with it that much. maybe ill test a few page pool sizes and see what happens...

• 2 weeks later...

The really crappy part though is that samsung knows this -- if they would have bumped this phone up to 256 it would have made all the word of difference.