Remove Orange Apps on San Francisco, Simple Beginners Guide!

Guest xeyaztian

Great! As soon i get the SF, Will definatly be using this method to unbrand it first, thanks.

@xeyaztian

maybe include the "titanium backup" method or add it as a surgestion, in the first post, seems, most people use that way instead ;)

Edited by Fou-lu

Guest targetbsp
Sim toolkit. I would leave it.

I removed with no ill effects - but I like things as lean as possible. It amuses my friends how few processes I have running on Windows for instance!

I've actually removed a lot of things above and beyond the orange apps. Based mostly on the optional things in the kitchens showing what is optional as well as a list I found somewhere describing all the parts of android and listing which ones are needed and which are optional.

Guest stevoknevo

Worked a treat for me using the androot>astro>busy box>titanium combo :) Initially it wouldn't open androot, so used astro to open it. Plain sailing after that.

I now have 74.5mb of free space, many thanks.

Guest cartierv

Just been a doing a test with Titanium Backup, trying to remove one of the many crapo paint apps I downloaded before removing the Orange stuff.

So when you go to do it, it is says: "Un-installing: "Finger Paint 2.1"

but nothing is happening. Titanium backup has just hung.

??

Worse CPU is now stuck at 96 percent even after reboot as if it's remembered that was the state before reboot and just decided to carry on with that. sigh

Any ideas ? Thanks

Edited by cartierv

Guest cartierv

hmm think i got it working. I didn't have usb debugging on, but I thought that was a legacy thing.

Managed to remove the 2 bundled game demos, and another orange thing.

My only concern is that if some of this orange stuff acts as some secret back door activation like YouTube app does for Google account.

But i got them backed up anyway so what does it matter.

Guest hecatae
Titanium backup free you can also do the same job, once combined with universal root and busybox

used Androot, then SuperUser, then Titanium Backup to remove all rubbish from B08 rom

Hi, I'm new to mobiles, especially android ones but am desperate to get rid of ll the orange junk on the sanfran. I have one woth a tft screen so cant update my rom. I read that titanium backup is possible so dl'd it but I couldnt bear the advert pop ups.

Does anyone know if there is any other way of getting read of the rubbish orange apps that a newbie can follow?

Thanks for your help.

Guest targetbsp

I don;t recall Titanium Backup having any ads? But I do have Adfree installed.

Even if it does... you seriously can't put up with ads for the 5 minutes you'd need to use the program in exchange for the long term gain? :)

You could always pay for it or the System App Remover mentioned in the first post then.

Guest PeterPandroid

I've struggled with this process and not sure what the issue is.

Universal Androot seems to work and leads me through to its "Woot, you're rooted" message.

I have a BusyBox installer icon but on the few times it executes without error(1) it isn't obvious what it installs. Or is it not an installer per se but just starting a BusyBox service? Whatever *that* might be.

The only method I have found of getting the process to work is to run Androot then Titanium and let the 'Problems' button on that get the busybox bit sorted.

A problem I find is that alhough I have thankfully relieved the phone of much of its orange flavour it doesn't seem to stay rooted. Is this normal?

I test the Rootedness of the phone using an unrelated clock synching app (market: ClockSync) which itself requires a prior root and this tells me, unless I repeat the whole Androot process again, that the phone isn't rooted.

Is it common for rooting to be forgotten, after power-down for example?

Pp

refs:

(1)

Busybox generally leads to the dialog:

"The Application BusyBox installer (process stericsom. busybox) has stopped unexpectedly. please try again - [Force Close]"

Edited by PeterPandroid

How do you hide the orange stuff ? If I go into the Applications list, I can see them but can't find a way to hide them.|

What about some of the 'Orange' icons such as 'Internet' - do you use that still ?

I've switched to the standard Launcher and just have 'Internet' on the home page as the only Orange branded icon. Still thinking about whether to use Launcher Pro...

Hey be careful with Launcher Pro... after a couple of hours all my icons disappeared and it wiped out my internet connection totally

Worked perfectly, thank you all

Problem is I did not back up before I started, i.e. created a backup of the original rom in case.

My rom is OUK_P729BV1.0.0B08 (bought in UK on 11th Dec)

I have two questions.

1) I have a copy of the above from StevenHarperUK, will this put it back to as was?

2) How do I make a copy of the rom I have currently?

an idiots guide will be appreciated

Still reading about installing a new rom, will try during the holidays.

Thank you all, great forum

Update: have now put on another thread, sorry

Edited by Samal

Guest Magnets

I removed the APKs from /system/app using ADB shell but didn't seem to gain that much space, and the orange apps still appear under manage apps list, but they appear as com.x.x with the standard android logo, and some are 0.00B, some are 100KB, orange app shop is 1.x MB, if I click on one it force closes the apps list.

Guest PeterPandroid

I could not download the Androot app from the barcodes indirectly linked via the top of this post so downloaded it instead from the attachment at the bottom that XDA DEVELOPERS post to the PC. It required site registration to access the attachment. The next issue was to get the file over to the SF which, for some reason, could not be done over USB since the mobile would not mount or even be recognised by my PC. I've not loaded any drivers though!

So as an alternative transfer method I loaded SwiFTP (FTP server) from the market onto the phone. I use a good FTP client FileZilla on the PC and used that combo to send the ANDROOT file over WiFi to the SF's SD card. Then I just used the stock 'Filer' to launch and install Androot by tapping on its filename.

Then ran Titanium, ignoring the BusyBox stage, and it just worked. I still haven't understood what part BusyBox is supposed to play in the process but on this particular operation it didn't seem to be necessary for my deorangification needs.

Does the mobile remain in a rooted state or should I unroot it now the job is done?

Pp

Edited by PeterPandroid

Guest stanfrancisco

Fingers crossed, I've successfully managed to remove the Orange apps and unwanted games thanks to all the advice here.

However, the Orange start-up logo is still there so wondering how I do remove that? An earlier post mentioned a 'unpacking the boot image' with a 'superboot' but what does this involve? Can you do this without then having to install a custom ROM?

And why do some people suggest that you remove Universal Androot and Titanium Backup when you finish the whole process? Are there any problems with keeping them on your phone as long as you unroot to remove the superuser icon?

Guest targetbsp

I removed them to start with. I think the philosophy is that if you're going to such efforts to clean up your phone it's then strange to leave behind the apps you cleaned it up with if they are no longer any use to you. I soon put androot back on for other purposes though.

Guest xeyaztian

To one. it says install BusyBox, it does not say open it or look for it, just remove it once you've done.

To another, No this way cant get rid of splash screen, this can be done by flashing, but that just replaces it with another one.

Most answers are in this thread, and I recommend reading the whole thread before you root.

And once more, you can use Titanium Backup, but I have never used it, so cant give any help if you need it, but others on here can, cos there's lots of smart people here! :)

Guest DroidNewbie2010

Hiya... my very first post here... please be gentle...

OSF is my first droid phone...I like it a lot... I have the latest white one probably with TFT screen... not sure if this affects...but I have read this threat a few times before I went down the Titanium route to delete the orange stuff last night...but I have found some problems and I hope some experienced guys out there can help me out!

1. it seemed work ok until this morning when I found that I cannot access mobile internet at all...it was ok when I used it at home with wifi... but without wifi... it doesn't connect through 3G internet... this didn't happen before until I rooted it last night...anyone aware that this might be problem of this rooting last night? I didn't see anyone posting this issue in this thread earlier....I tried to power off the phone, and taken the battery out and then power on again, didn't seem to help... problem persisted... wondered if anyone knew how to resolve this please?

2. after rooting my phone didn't seem to free up any space, rather it took 2MB more space away :) and my battery usage was still displaying 100% by android system... this shouldn't be the expected result of this rooting, correct? Anything I done wrong? I really did just follow the steps posted by those who succeeded...

3. rather than speed up, it actually slowed down my phone I had to say... when I power it on, it will boot as regular but then will flash the locked screen once before properly booted... then when I unlock the screen and enter the homescreen, it takes ages to load up my weather and clock widget... and my music widget is just showing problem loading (dead.. basically it is)... I did delete the orange music but I'm using other music widget from market and deleting orange music should not affect other widget I suppose? Anyways, the main problem here is it is very slow to load.....any suggestions on how to solve this please?

4. I haven't downloaded many apps from market and wouldn't mind factory reset if truely necessary....can someone just confirm that factory reset will just bring the phone back to original status when I purchased it from the orange shop and with every orange stuff on it? And I should be able to retry the rooting if I want to? Should I try it again?

Sorry for so many questions on my first post... just I'm really helpless with smart phones and am still trying to find my way into master it....

Any advice highly appreciated! Thanks!

Guest DroidNewbie2010

Hi,

just done a factory reset but still no 3G internet connection when I switch off wifi....oh dear... what's wrong with my phone? someone please help me!!

panicked newbie...

Guest PeterPandroid
just done a factory reset but still no 3G internet connection when I switch off wifi....oh dear... what's wrong with my phone? someone please help me!!

Perhaps after a factory reset defaults your [settings / Wireless & NETWORKS / Mobile Networks / Data Connection ] to disable 3G. Check it.

Pp