Bluetooth DUN / PAN client?

Guest psuter

Hi

I just bought my galaxy tab yesterday and it really is nice! however, i don't want to insert a sim card with another contract on it just to go online from time to time when i don't have a wifi connection near me.

I have a nexus one with the desire rom installed which is my primary phone and it has a unlimited data and voice plan on it. i know i could start wifi tethering and allow my galaxy tab to use this connection, but this means, that i have to start wifi tether whenever i want to go online with my galaxy tab. it would be much more conveniant if i could enable bluetooth on my phone and then connect with my galaxy tab through a bluetooth DUN or PAN connection. this way i don't need to touch my phone and my galaxy tab is always online as soon as i am near it.

is this somehow possible? ( i think the ipad does exactly that to go online if you don't have a sim card inserted)

cheers

pascal

Guest stevenz
Hi

I just bought my galaxy tab yesterday and it really is nice! however, i don't want to insert a sim card with another contract on it just to go online from time to time when i don't have a wifi connection near me.

I have a nexus one with the desire rom installed which is my primary phone and it has a unlimited data and voice plan on it. i know i could start wifi tethering and allow my galaxy tab to use this connection, but this means, that i have to start wifi tether whenever i want to go online with my galaxy tab. it would be much more conveniant if i could enable bluetooth on my phone and then connect with my galaxy tab through a bluetooth DUN or PAN connection. this way i don't need to touch my phone and my galaxy tab is always online as soon as i am near it.

is this somehow possible? ( i think the ipad does exactly that to go online if you don't have a sim card inserted)

Pretty sure there's no way you can get the iPad to do it over bluetooth, don't think it supports the DUN bluetooth protocol, or pretty much anything for that matter other than the basic audio protocols (and maybe a limited version of OBEX?). Apple's bluetooth implementation is quite poor (although a lot better than it was in the early incarnations of the iPhones).

AFAIK the Android bluetooth stack doesn't support internet sharing over bluetooth either. Other than the fact it'll eat your battery, leaving the wifi hotspot option turned on on the N1 might be your only viable option.

I've left my iPod touch connected to my N1 all day before and it actually seems to work pretty well, the battery drain doesn't seem to be too excessive, unless you're making a lot of phone calls etc. then it'll still easily get through the day.

thanks for that clarification. i can't say firsthand if the ipad supports bluetooth dun or not, a friend of mine told me it did but he sometimes tells a lot of things :P

still sad to hear it doesn't work between two android devices.. but i guess with the speeds of modern 3g networks bluetooth is quite obsolete, that might be the reason why this is not supported anymore.

cheers

pascal

• 2 weeks later...
Guest hairsup
Pretty sure there's no way you can get the iPad to do it over bluetooth, don't think it supports the DUN bluetooth protocol, or pretty much anything for that matter other than the basic audio protocols (and maybe a limited version of OBEX?). Apple's bluetooth implementation is quite poor (although a lot better than it was in the early incarnations of the iPhones).

AFAIK the Android bluetooth stack doesn't support internet sharing over bluetooth either. Other than the fact it'll eat your battery, leaving the wifi hotspot option turned on on the N1 might be your only viable option.

I've left my iPod touch connected to my N1 all day before and it actually seems to work pretty well, the battery drain doesn't seem to be too excessive, unless you're making a lot of phone calls etc. then it'll still easily get through the day.

There's an app call ibluever for idevices that connects to internet via DUN. That's how I get my ipod to connect to internet 24/7 via my Android phone using PDAnet app.

Now...if only there's an app like ibluever for android, I'll be the first to purchase it.

• 1 year later...