28/Oct r4b gforums Custom Rom FroYo for ZTE blade (Alpha!)

Guest gforums

Guest gforums

concerning the HTC IME Keyboard mod:

I posted a re-packed version of this for 2.2 in the original froyo thread here.

Cheers,

Andy

Hmm..this is absolutely NOT working for me...tried to include it, tried a complete wipe from data/cache, but still this just FC. Wonder why it is running for other users on 2.2?!

Edited by gforums

Guest Andy Maclean
concerning the HTC IME Keyboard mod:

Hmm..this is absolutely NOT working for me...tried to include it, tried a complete wipe from data/cache, but still this just FC. Wonder why it is running for other users on 2.2?!

Hmmm, I've used it in my own Froyo zip and its worked fine on a few different phones.

Does it work if you install it manually after you flash?

Guest SWOriginal

@gforums

any release date for alpha 2 / beta1 ?, just wondering as im getting my blade sometime next week and i dont have a credit card to remove the sim lock so froyo is the best option for me once most bugs are fixed (main concern is battery life). or are you waiting for the original dev to release alpha2 / beta1 so you can iron out the bugs included in that rom ?

ps. removing the fm radio from the 2.1 rom improved the average speed, will you be removing the fm.radio from this rom seeing as it doesnt work? (not a problem to remove myself but would be handy to have it already done)

thanks in advance :)

Guest socialworker

Imho the battery issue is just an issue of incorrect reporting.

I use the alpha froyo rom since it has been released. My battery seems to get better every day.

Well, most of the improvement might be me not fiddling around with the Blade that much, but still, I never thought battery performance was worse with froyo than before with eclair.

Guest schkinx
@gforums

any release date for alpha 2 / beta1 ?, just wondering as im getting my blade sometime next week and i dont have a credit card to remove the sim lock so froyo is the best option for me once most bugs are fixed (main concern is battery life). or are you waiting for the original dev to release alpha2 / beta1 so you can iron out the bugs included in that rom ?

ps. removing the fm radio from the 2.1 rom improved the average speed, will you be removing the fm.radio from this rom seeing as it doesnt work? (not a problem to remove myself but would be handy to have it already done)

thanks in advance :)

sorry if this sounds like a silly question , bur reading between the lines are you thinking froyo will allow you to use any sim without unlocking the phone ???

Guest Stuart_f

It's not a silly question because it's not something you would expect but the Froyo roms have the unusual side effect of removing the simlock. The simlock will return if one of the 2.1 roms is flashed.

I don't think anyone has really had the time to work out why this happens yet.

Guest schkinx
It's not a silly question because it's not something you would expect but the Froyo roms have the unusual side effect of removing the simlock. The simlock will return if one of the 2.1 roms is flashed.

I don't think anyone has really had the time to work out why this happens yet.

Seriously :) , well i never knew that , thanks stuart :)

i might just try froyo just to get back on T mobile .

And is it safe to switch back to 2.1 if you dont like 2.2 ( no side effects ? )

Guest ed.dark
Seriously :) , well i never knew that , thanks stuart :)

i might just try froyo just to get back on T mobile .

And is it safe to switch back to 2.1 if you dont like 2.2 ( no side effects ? )

yes - i did that

Imho the battery issue is just an issue of incorrect reporting.

I use the alpha froyo rom since it has been released. My battery seems to get better every day.

Well, most of the improvement might be me not fiddling around with the Blade that much, but still, I never thought battery performance was worse with froyo than before with eclair.

For me the difference is huge.. On Eclair 2.1, I was able to go to work without the charger. Now it drops to 85% on my 25 minute journey to work. I am actually considering to go back to 2.1 until this is fixed as I know I will be going out over the weekend and will need my phone to be working. Can anyone provide a link or the steps required to get back to the "21/Oct r4: MoDaCo Custom ROM (MCR) "?

I look forward to seeing the next Release as the Performance level is top notch.

Guest southeastblue
Hi did you just install from the update.zip after wiping some data (cache etc)?

I've gone from the original Alpha 2.2, back to Sebastian's r5 2.1 release, then back to this one... Just wiped the cache etc between installing the update.zip and worked fine. :)

Guest gforums

Well I'm not sure when I'll release a r2 of the rom. Currently the only thing I could fix is youtube just by replacing the apk. I don't get the modded htc keyboard to run (not by including it in the rom nor by addig it later manually). As for the other problems:

I'm not an android expert - just tried to include all fixes we have so far into this rom.

As long as we don't get a newer froyo rom from ZTE or any patches from more experienced member, this remain r1.

gforums.

EDIT: okay, installing HTC_ime by the app installer works. But not when trying to copy it using adb...why?!

Edited by gforums

Guest southeastblue

Just curious... When you install this rom it installs random icons and a horrible wallpaper as default and has the chinese bookmarks in the web browser which although don't detract from the stability, they all make the room look a little messy and require removing manually.

Is there any way to edit the install zip file to fix these things? I just think if all the messy looking bits were fixed, and the new (and better) youtube app was included, then it's pretty much 99% usuable as a proper full time rom.

Not sure if this should be in the other Alpha thread, and I'm probably being a little OCD but I just find it annoying to have to remove the annoying things, to make the phone look 'tidy'. :)

Guest edwardnoob
Just curious... When you install this rom it installs random icons and a horrible wallpaper as default and has the chinese bookmarks in the web browser which although don't detract from the stability, they all make the room look a little messy and require removing manually.

Is there any way to edit the install zip file to fix these things? I just think if all the messy looking bits were fixed, and the new (and better) youtube app was included, then it's pretty much 99% usuable as a proper full time rom.

Not sure if this should be in the other Alpha thread, and I'm probably being a little OCD but I just find it annoying to have to remove the annoying things, to make the phone look 'tidy'. :)

I agree would be useable as a proper full time rom once tidy

Guest southeastblue
My phone has started to freeze at the home screen. Only way to resolve this is to pull the battery. Anyone else found this and is there a fix ?

Only thing I've had freeze is the web browser, and it says that it's not responding or something but seemed like it was only on a certain website.

Other than that I've not had a problem with anything else so far.

Guest ArcticFox

What about power usage because of dialer?

Is it possible to remove it and replace it with something like dialer one?

Edited by ArcticFox

Guest Andy Maclean

Everyone having trouble with their battery life, have you tried calibrating it?

I was sceptical at first but I am now getting around 2 days moderate usage instead of 1.

This process is from an XDA forum post which in turn appears to be from an HTC support email.

• With the device on, charge to 100% (until the red LED turns green).
  • Unplug the device and turn it off.
  • Charge the device until the red led turns green (took another 45 minutes for me).
  • Unplug the device and turn it on.
  • Wait for the device to fully boot then turn it off.
  • Charge the device until the red led turns green (took another 20 minutes for me).

• Boot into clockwork recovery mod and go to advanced -> wipe battery stats.
    • Reboot device.
    • Run device down until it powers off before charging.

A few of us with blades at work have tried this and we are all seeing a marked improvement in battery life.

I'd like to fully understand what this process is actually achieving but until then I'd be interested to see if it helps anyone else. I'm assuming it's just resetting what android determines the min and max battery life is.

Cheers,

Andy

Guest schkinx

The Rom is great , but the dialer constanly running is doind me head in .

I ran for 16 hours yesterday with 2 phone calls , a few texts , few minutes on the web and about 10 minutes on angry birds and the battery only dropped 24% on the 2.1 R4 rom .

soon as i put 2.2 on it the battery was going flat out in no time , dialer is using 50% of the battery . But i checked the cpu state and its telling me its managing itself at 245 mhz , so its not the cpu thats draining the battery .

super user runs fine after an initial reboot , although titanium backup threw a wobbler on me lol .

Is there any way to cure the dialer syndrome ?

Guest socialworker

Anybody else got double contours in youtube?

Also a green/pink stripe at the top?

Very annoying, tried different versions of the app, none work...