28/Oct r4b gforums Custom Rom FroYo for ZTE blade (Alpha!)

Guest gforums

Guest gforums

Okay, maybe someone is keen enough to give it a try - I had no time to test this for a longer period and am away until Monday evening.

This is my first and ALPHA custom rom for the ZTE blade. It is based on the work from all other forum members and includes everything that we have as fix for the current ALPHA rom yet.

So, in short (hope I don't forget anything):

- Froyo 2.2

- includes superuser and busybox

- includes calculator and deskclock from a mcr nexus one rom

- maybe calendar is working too

- all languages are set available

- working gps

- standard icons

- standard density

- removed chinese keyboard

- added titanium backup

- added "no wifi" indicator

- NO OTHER FIXES!

Download:

gforumscustomrom_r1_froyo_zte_blade.zip

Wipe Data/Cache before install.

Rom is unsigned.

known bugs:

- youtube does not work. fix in next release!

Guest nicksoph

NOTE_ I have updated this post several times over the past couple of days trying to keep it up with the updates in various threads thinking it would be best as gforums. the original poster, is unable to update his post until at least Monday evening. Sorry if this is not the best way to do it.

Note that I have very little experience with these ROMS (or any others) and no previous experience with Android, so I am mainly collating info.

Having downloaded the link above I got a Hash of 658807E422579179375C3A2BD76D10DE and

first impressions are that it runs fast and most things seem to work well.

Issues

NB. MARKET is not working very well at the moment. This is a problem on the servers and is being experienced by all Android users.

If you have been able to download any apps from Market then it almost certain that any further problems are NOT related to this ROM.

Once you have installed the ROM turn off wifi and do not turn it on until you have setup Talk on 3G/2G and run Market and downloaded any app on 3G/2G.

Market fails on every attempt to download

Talk authentication fails

Got Market and Talk working by Not setting up google mail first - instead turn off wifi and then setup Talk on 3G/2G then go to Market and download any app on 3G/2G then turning on wireless.

This seems to be causing problems for other upgraders. I can only add that it worked for me and that it is important to turn off wifi and not to enter any google credentials until you have set up the credentials in Talk and at least started a Market download on 3G or 2G.

If you have failed to do this and are already experiencing the problem of not being able to download from market or connect in Talk - go into clockwork mod and delete the 2 caches and data and reboot. Then turn off wifi, set up Talk and download from market on 3G/2G.

Once the rom is installed you may need new drivers, see

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...nd-workarounds/

Task Manager Crash going into it

Superuser stops on going to log

I managed to cure the Task manager and Superuser by

Installing and running Universal Androot 1.6.2 beta 5 from

http://blog.23corner.com/tag/universalandroot/

Task manager still dies but now does so when you exit the screen

Others have reported that there are no problems with root so it may be that the problems actualy relate to the Superuser and Task Mgr apps.

As mentioned, YouTube fails but managed to install a very nice version by removing and then following instructions at

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=817528

Acrobat Reader Fails - managed to install by removing old version and then redownloading from Market

(To remove the apps I used Super Manager and simply deleted The YouTube and Acrobat apk's and folders in /system)

Fancy Widget doesn't pick up where you are from GPS or mobile network but will give you the weather if you enter your location manually.

Wifi is working fine for me but some people are reporting issues with it automatically connecting and that they must manual connect each time.

Camera fails to adjust focus and frequently has bands across image

FM Radio seems not to work

GPS seems to work but location based on phone network fails - Not certain of how well GPS is passing info to apps.

MP3's work for me but others report failures this is likely to relate to differing MP3 compression/format settings

Custom Notification Sounds seem not to work

There are also some questions about the dialler apps battery usage (although overall my impression is this ROM is kinder to the battery than it was with 2.1 and this may be a reporting error rather than actual high battery drain).

Adobe Flash is not included and very unlikely to ever work on this phone - it simply doesn't meet the hardware requirements.

Everything else seems A1 and most people, who have managed to get thru the fixes, report a VERY fast and stable rom.

There WAS some suspicion that the ROM is set to send an MMS to a number in China and if it fails to send it would then turn off the phones ability to make/receive calls or texts. From the little Ive read of the logs from the developers who have studied this, it seems that this is likely to be a method ZTE is using to monitor the phones it uses for development - from which this rom is derived.

NB. Stephen the developer (CB) who was one of those who modified the ROM also dealt with this issue and it is no longer a worry. See

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...me-false-alarm/

Many thanks

Edited by nicksoph

Guest Justin Tsien
Just a note to say that having downloaded the link above I got a Hash of 658807E422579179375C3A2BD76D10DE and

first impressions are that it runs fast but

Market fails on every attempt to download

Talk authentication fails

Task Manager Crash going into it

Superuser stops on going to log

Im going back to 2.1 until a fix for market is found

Market functions pretty good as I am downloading an app from it.

Also, talk works.

Yes superuser crashes on attempt to enter log.

Guest jasonchain
Market functions pretty good as I am downloading an app from it.

Also, talk works.

Yes superuser crashes on attempt to enter log.

Are you sure? Market available?

Guest JolyonS

Going by a quick run through of the new ROM the differences between this and the Stephen Hyde Froyo Alpha seem to be:

In the update-script:

Symlinks for busybox

Chmods for busybox and su

Deletes for binaries duplicated by busybox

The following files are changed:

build.prop (changes density and version string)

system/xbin/su (not sure why the change to this - doesn't the Stephen Hyde version work once chmodded correctly?)

calendarprovider.apk

camera.apk

contacts.apk

email.apk

gallery3d.apk

mms.apk

music.apk

phone.apk

settings.apk

settingsprovider.apk

setupwizard.apk

smartdialler.apk

youtube.apk

The following files have been added:

adobereader.apk

calculator.apk

calendargoogle.apk

[possibly some cardock apks]

com.fancywidget.android.apk

com.keramidas.titaniumbackup.apk

com.schwimmer.android.wifistatus.apk

deskclockgoogle.apk

qualcommsettings.apk

stk.apk (SIM toolkit, I presume)

touchscreen.apk

/system/xbin/busybox

The following have been removed:

calendar.apk (makes sense as this wasn't working)

chipertest.apk \_ (Chinese language tools)

pinyinIME.apk /

quicksearchbox.apk

/system/etc/customize/default.xml (to remove the 'only two locations available' bug)

/system/xbin/nc (netcat provided by busybox)

Edited by JolyonS

Guest stephen m
The market doesn't work for me, can browse it fine but every download fails.

After install it appears Market is not available until GTalk syncs. Can this be done manually, as it seems to take ages signing in or is there away round this.

Guest monkeyfeatures

I've installed this and it generally seems like a good job. Most stuff seems to work nicely, but the market could not connect until logging in to Google Talk and then even after that it will only browse. Any app download attempts fail so it's a big problem. :)

Edit: Just seen this thread, guess it could be a general issue not specific to this ROM although I was installing apps just a few hours ago on the r4 ROM:

http://android.modaco.com/content-page/321...market/page/20/

Edited by monkeyfeatures

Guest stephen m
I've installed this and it generally seems like a good job. Most stuff seems to work nicely, but the market could not connect until logging in to Google Talk and then even after that it will only browse. Any app download attempts fail so it's a big problem. :(

Edit: Just seen this thread, guess it could be a general issue not specific to this ROM although I was installing apps just a few hours ago on the r4 ROM:

http://android.modaco.com/content-page/321...market/page/20/

I found that a reboot did the trick :) Great fix gforums :)

BTW. How's it going in terms of Joggler updates ?

Edited by stephen m

Guest hero protagonist

Congrats on the rom. I have a problem with a lot of mp3 files, however (same on the original froyo rom). They are displayed correctly in music player, but playback fails (nothing happends). In doggcatcher I get an android notification (e.g. "Error preparing stream" Android code: 0(100,0)). Everything works fine on 2.1.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Guest bugeyes
Congrats on the rom. I have a problem with a lot of mp3 files, however (same on the original froyo rom). They are displayed correctly in music player, but playback fails (nothing happends). In doggcatcher I get an android notification (e.g. "Error preparing stream" Android code: 0(100,0)). Everything works fine on 2.1.

Any ideas?

Thanks

is it mp3's or wma?

As i find normal MP3 fine but wma does nothing at all on any froyo roms!

Guest leetron1

Many thanks for your work...still not finding my location & light sensor not functional hence buttons don't illuminate...any thoughts?

These are the 2 big issues still remaining, at least for me>>

Guest bugeyes
is it mp3's or wma?

As i find normal MP3 fine but wma does nothing at all on any froyo roms!

Just spent hours converting my wma's to mp3 and everything works better......also recognises artist which it didnt with wma's!!!????? wtf??? hey it works

Now need sleep uuuurrgggghhhhhh