28/Oct r4b gforums Custom Rom FroYo for ZTE blade (Alpha!)

Guest gforums

Guest nicksoph
gforums, I installed your ROM and can confirm I can also start Ti backup ok. I did a data & cache wipe in ClockWork and also a factory reset once I booted in after install - could it be some ppl are missing one of these?

Ive been thru the process about 3 times for various reasons and am certain that every time I wiped both caches, and the data using clockwork Mod and fairly sure I did a factory reset each time but when I ran Androot although it always says that Im already rooted if I dont reapply root permissions (using androot) I sometimes get problems with Titatnium and Task mgr. Even after they work they have stopped working and the fix has been to root with Androot again.

I wonder if the Base rom has something in it that is there because of it's developmental nature that removes root?

I am just guessing.

Edited by nicksoph

Guest nicksoph
Another bug that may have been already reported is that quite often the phone reverts to ring setting from vibrate only without any intervention, anyone else notice this?

I think so or its not locking and my pockets doing it.

Guest igors_s

Just installed the rom linked on front page. Love it!

Everything is fast and smooth.

Market works perfectly (3g and wifi) (i did do the 'sign into gtalk and download an app over 3g' trick first)

calendar works.

gps is lightning fast.

Issues:

Dialer reporting very high cpu usage.

can't wait for next release!

Guest stephen m

I was having problems re-downloading youtube and Adobe Reader, I found this in another thread, and after doing this I could download them. It may just have been timing if market was flaky, but it would be a co-incidence.

[/quote

Adobe reader and you tube now working. Thanks flash2004!

Guest thepeganator

Have an annoying problem.

Posted a thread about it but it was closed, it said:

Running the r4b Froyo alpha rom, fantastic rom, very fast.

Every now and then my screen will just stop responding when locked.

I press the hold button up top, lights up to put in my pattern code, but no screen response.

All physical buttons work fine with a vibrate when pressed, but can't get a thing out of the touch screen.

End up having to take the battery out and restart the phone.

No warning for this, happens completely random seemingly.

Any help would be awesome.

Ive been thru the process about 3 times for various reasons and am certain that every time I wiped both caches, and the data using clockwork Mod and fairly sure I did a factory reset each time but when I ran Androot although it always says that Im already rooted if I dont reapply root permissions (using androot) I sometimes get problems with Titatnium and Task mgr. Even after they work they have stopped working and the fix has been to root with Androot again.

I wonder if the Base rom has something in it that is there because of it's developmental nature that removes root?

I am just guessing.

I know this isn't related to 2.2, but i'm having exactly the same issues with the sebastian rom on 2.1

Guest nicksoph
I know this isn't related to 2.2, but i'm having exactly the same issues with the sebastian rom on 2.1

Thanks for the info Revs, it dosent help me much but if you rooted the seb rom and it is losing that Root permission I think it dismisses my theory about the rom being interefered with by makers.

How did you first root the seb rom?

Guest oh!dougal

Sebastian's 2.1 rom is NOT rooted.

Every time you flash that rom onto your phone, you need to run Androot to get (back) root privileges.

Sebastian's aim is to produce an utterly vanilla example of a user Android phone (ie not rooted).

Its just serendipity that it should also make a nice barebones foundation for anyone else. But they might want to root it, turn on hardware acceleration, etc ...

But I'm pretty sure there's nothing in the rom that would un-root it.

Guest nicksoph

Thanks for that info - mine definitely loses root (gforums derivation) - which either brings doubt on whether the rom was actually rooted in the first place, or on me following the instructions :)

What makes you think that there's nothing in the rom that removes root permissions?

Has anybody gone thru the process and sure that their rom has never lost root?

Every time you flash that rom onto your phone, you need to run Androot to get (back) root privileges.

Sebastian's aim is to produce an utterly vanilla example of a user Android phone (ie not rooted).

Its just serendipity that it should also make a nice barebones foundation for anyone else. But they might want to root it, turn on hardware acceleration, etc ...

Thanks for the clarification, makes perfect sense now.

What about clockwork mod does that have the root/superuser permissions to do factory rest and and flash another rom?

Edited by revs

Guest microsnakey

I have installed this after I got the Blade yesterday, I fixed the Market with the 3g method.

But I am having the same problem as other people about it being rooted. I ran androot and it said this is allready rooted.

I did it again with androot anyway but I still get the application crashes.

Also can I move apps that I am not supposed to move to the SD card with root, thanks

I think it is rooted actually because Titanium asked for root and I clicked okay and it worked ( I think

Edited by microsnakey

Guest nicksoph
I have installed this after I got the Blade yesterday, I fixed the Market with the 3g method.

But I am having the same problem as other people about it being rooted. I ran androot and it said this is allready rooted.

I did it again with androot anyway but I still get the application crashes.

Also can I move apps that I am not supposed to move to the SD card with root, thanks

I think it is rooted actually because Titanium asked for root and I clicked okay and it worked ( I think

not sure - which apps are crashing for you ?

And no you cant move apps to sd card (except those that say you can have a look in application info for each of the apps you would like to move)

Guest Andy Maclean
Has anyone managed to get the HTC keyboard (http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blade-blade-modaco-com/318710/27-sep-v27-htc-ime-mod-by-jonasl-repacked-for-the-blade/) working with this rom?

Every time I try and use it it force closes. Oddly enough I can run the calibration on the keyboard in it's settings.

I posted a re-packed version of this for 2.2 in the original froyo thread here.

Cheers,

Andy

Guest bencallis
I posted a re-packed version of this for 2.2 in the original froyo thread here.

Cheers,

Andy

Thanks very much. It worked brilliantly.

After installing it my home, back and menu button make the phone vibrate when I click them. It may have been happening all along but I have never noticed it before.

Guest Andy Maclean
Thanks very much. It worked brilliantly.

After installing it my home, back and menu button make the phone vibrate when I click them. It may have been happening all along but I have never noticed it before.

That's the default behaviour but you can disable it in Settings->Sound->Haptic Feedback (it's right at the bottom)

Cheers,

Andy

Guest bencallis
That's the default behaviour but you can disable it in Settings->Sound->Haptic Feedback (it's right at the bottom)

Cheers,

Andy

Sorted.

Thanks again.

Guest southeastblue

After sorting out the messy homepage, deleting the chinese bookmarks, and reinstalling youtube (after deleting the old one using ES Explorer with root and system mount) I'm now very happy with this! :) Oh and the fact I can finally use my Three UK simcard is excellent too.

Anyone know if I use Titanium backup with my phone how it is, if it will save exactly the way I've set my system up? Never used it before, so just curious.

Guest tippo88
The Win xp drivers wont work with this now, is there any available ?

I'm having the same problem with windows xp drivers I've tried using the sdk to download the drivers and aslo downloading the drivers and midifying the .inf file as suggested but neither work properly in devive manager the android phone abd interface is installed ok but I have 3 zte HSUSB devices not installed and the phone does not connect to the pc.

thanks

Hi all, I have upgraded to this ROM from 2.1 and here are my findings:

The Good :):

- Overall performance is very responsive and smooth.

- Games like Angry Birds works great.

The Bad :) :

- The worst thing about updating is the BATTERY LIFE. It drains a lot and I constantly have to plug it in when at my desk at work.

- Youtube/Adobe Reader don't work. I have seen posts to fix this but I can probably hold on for the next release.

- ChompSMS stalls occasionally...

- MP3 player (Double Twist) stalls a lot and I have to force close it before I can play some tunes.

- The version of mylock that I was using, doesn't appear to work.

- FM radio produces no sounds.

All in all.. I'm pretty happy with the new release minus the battery issue. I hope this is resolved as quickly as possible. I am also getting warnings when I plug in the mobile to my PC but it still reads the SD Card.

Edited by BCODE