My goodbye

Guest Steel Reign

Guest Steel Reign

I have gotten a hold of a Droid X, and am going to start development on a rom for that. See you guys on the other side, it has been a awesome ride! If it is upgrade time, and you are trying to decide between the Droid X and Fascinate, go with the Droid X. They've managed to flash roms onto it, and it is so much better. GPS wise, call quality wise, screen size, and signal strength. The AMOLED screen on the Fascinate doesn't make that big of a difference to me, as after I decided to watch a movie on both, for me at least the bigger screen won over. In my opinion it will be along time before apps start to take advantage of the much faster GPU in the Fascinate(which is what I was going for orginally) as other android phones don't even come to close the power of the GPU that thing has. They've already overclocked the Droid X, and on the Droid X you can actually adjust the voltages! Also, Android now has a awesome PSX emulator, it's catching up to FPSECE.

-Thank you for your support.

Farewell, SteelReign

Hope to see you in the DroidX forums ITS A DIFFERENT WORLD :)

The Rom and Developer are doing wonders also Bgill55 is doing some DroidX stuff.

To me the locked down processor is really a non-issue. Mainly because of the improvements you stated.

As I remember you were one of the first ones to get the i920 Rom cracked for development almost two years ago.

Looking forward to see you on the MANY forums.

Unfortunately "MoDaCO" is not active in our Android Market but "Android Central" is a place to start.

:) :(

Guest tedkord
Well that sux. Am I the only i920 chef left?

Is ninja still around? Regardless, I think the wonders all of you have done have taken this phone about as far as it can go. It's just got too many inherent handicaps - not enough RAM, awful OpenGLES2.0 drivers, no GLES1.0 drivers, and FPU unit that is non-functional, WinMo...

I'd have never gotten this phone if it hadn't been for folks cobbling together GLES1 drivers, and FPU patch, chefs removing all the Verizon garbage, etc... But let's be honest - even with all the miracles people have performed on this phone, it's still not as smooth or functional as some of the phones released 8 months ago. Samsung really punted on this one.

Goodbye, Steel. Thank you for all your work. Hope you have lots of breakthroughs on your Droid X. I can't agree with your analysis - every time I've visited the Verizon store to drool over new devices (I'm not out of contract until Feb), I have found the Fascinate to be sooooooo much smoother, faster and prettier than the X. I will concede quality of materials to the X (nicer, more solid feel), but using them side by side, the Fascinate scrolls through screens buttery smooth, while the X looks jumpy. Apps load just a bit more quickly, live wallpapers are more fluid. And, I really dislike that raised hump on the back for hand comfort.

GPS is a concern, as it looks like Samsung flubbed this across the Galaxy S line. I have hopes it will be rectified soon. At any rate, as mouth watering as each is, since I'm not up until February (and will probably go to Sprint), I'm holding off to see what sort of dual core goodies roll out early next year.

Edited by tedkord

Guest Steel Reign
Is ninja still around? Regardless, I think the wonders all of you have done have taken this phone about as far as it can go. It's just got too many inherent handicaps - not enough RAM, awful OpenGLES2.0 drivers, no GLES1.0 drivers, and FPU unit that is non-functional, WinMo...

I'd have never gotten this phone if it hadn't been for folks cobbling together GLES1 drivers, and FPU patch, chefs removing all the Verizon garbage, etc... But let's be honest - even with all the miracles people have performed on this phone, it's still not as smooth or functional as some of the phones released 8 months ago. Samsung really punted on this one.

Goodbye, Steel. Thank you for all your work. Hope you have lots of breakthroughs on your Droid X. I can't agree with your analysis - every time I've visited the Verizon store to drool over new devices (I'm not out of contract until Feb), I have found the Fascinate to be sooooooo much smoother, faster and prettier than the X. I will concede quality of materials to the X (nicer, more solid feel), but using them side by side, the Fascinate scrolls through screens buttery smooth, while the X looks jumpy. Apps load just a bit more quickly, live wallpapers are more fluid. And, I really dislike that raised hump on the back for hand comfort.

GPS is a concern, as it looks like Samsung flubbed this across the Galaxy S line. I have hopes it will be rectified soon. At any rate, as mouth watering as each is, since I'm not up until February (and will probably go to Sprint), I'm holding off to see what sort of dual core goodies roll out early next year.

Heres the thing though, about the Droid X, it has more ram, about 1.5 times more(Droid X has 512, Fascinate has 384). And once you replace the default launcher with launcher pro, everything becomes MUCH smoother. Which is something you'd want to do on either phone. It also probably didn't have Froyo installed, which has a JIT compiler and makes things up to 5x faster. Don't get me wrong, the Droid X has it's problems, they are just fewer in number, and not as serious. But Motorola is much quicker to fix them than Samsung. Look at the massive support they have given to the Droid, that phone is over 2 years old, and might get Gingerbread, it has already gotten 2.2(the latest release of android). Samsung only released 2 updates for the i920, and they are both horrible, and neither added new features. With Samsungs current track record, I don't think you will get much further than 2.2 on the Fascinate. I had a hard time choosing between the Fascinate and the Droid X, but once I started looking deeper into the forums at problems. The Droid x really shines in that area. Don't get me wrong, this is not a biased review. The fascinate does have awesome talk and video watching life.

And once you replace the default launcher with launcher pro, everything becomes MUCH smoother.

I would completely agree... Launcher Pro levels the playing field for all the android phones. Due to crappy signal strength in my area, I switched to Sprint from Verizon, so my options were limited to the Evo or Epic (both 4g, which is available here in Charlotte). The Sense front-end was a big selling point for the Evo, but once I tried Launcher Pro, I opted for the Epic. Aside from the faster GPU and CPU (recently clocked to 1.6ghz on XDA), the slide out keyboard is great from all the emulators. Program the keys, and no more thumbs blocking the action. :) Throw in the fact that the Epic seemed smoother even without the Froyo update, and it was a fairly easy choice.

I also wanted to give a big thanks to all the chefs here. As I'm writing the ad to sell my O2 on Craigslist, I'm realizing how truly versatile that phone was. Yeah... it was pokey and somewhat limited, but there wasn't much I couldn't do on it that others were doing on newer phones (albeit slower). That was due in large part to the guys here who made up for the vast majority of the O2's shortcomings. I still think the stereo speakers on my 02 were one of the most underrated aspects of that phone. By comparison, my Epic sounds like two tin cans and a string. :)

I'll look for you on the other side Steele.

Edited by ED2O9

Guest Steel Reign
I would completely agree... Launcher Pro levels the playing field for all the android phones. Due to crappy signal strength in my area, I switched to Sprint from Verizon, so my options were limited to the Evo or Epic (both 4g, which is available here in Charlotte). The Sense front-end was a big selling point for the Evo, but once I tried Launcher Pro, I opted for the Epic. Aside from the faster GPU and CPU (recently clocked to 1.6ghz on XDA), the slide out keyboard is great from all the emulators. Program the keys, and no more thumbs blocking the action. :) Throw in the fact that the Epic seemed smoother even without the Froyo update, and it was a fairly easy choice.

I also wanted to give a big thanks to all the chefs here. As I'm writing the ad to sell my O2 on Craigslist, I'm realizing how truly versatile that phone was. Yeah... it was pokey and somewhat limited, but there wasn't much I couldn't do on it that others were doing on newer phones (albeit slower). That was due in large part to the guys here who made up for the vast majority of the O2's shortcomings. I still think the stereo speakers on my 02 were one of the most underrated aspects of that phone. By comparison, my Epic sounds like two tin cans and a string. :)

I'll look for you on the other side Steele.

If I had Sprint, I would definitely, DEFINITELY get the Epic 4g. But unfortunately i'm on a family plan, and can't switch to them, without having pay for everything all over again. I am going to miss the stereo speakers well.

But a quick note on the cpu, they've overclocked the Droid X's to 2ghz, they say they've overclocked it to 2.5ghz but that was proven fake I think.

Edit: I am currently running mine at half voltage at stock clocks. This baby lasts me 2 days now, without the extended battery, it's awesome.

Edited by Steel Reign

Guest tedkord

Yeah, I've gotta admit Moto does issue fixes better than Samsung. Samsung throws together first class hardware, but totally drop the ball on the software side - every time. Which phone was it that they promised a 2.1 update, then announced they were dropping further updates including the promised one?

My other issue with the X is the size - it's freaking huge (LxH, but not W). The larger screens are nice, but the phones are getting impossible to control one handed. And, they're hitting the furthest edges of pocketability.

I'll have to take your word on launcher pro, I've only fiddled with stock. But, remember, launcher pro and froyo will also speed up the fascinate, making it faster again. This is assuming Samsung releases froyo in a reasonable timeframe. But they seem to be doing Android more right than they ever did WinMo (Crappy TouchWIZ notwithstanding).

I feel your pain on the family plan. My wife and daughter are both up next month, but because Verizon didn't have anything compelling November 2 years ago, I didn't upgrade until Feb. Now, they've gotta wait to switch to Sprint.

And, why would Moto set stock voltages so high, at the cost of battery life? One of the biggest complaints with smartphones is battery life. The could have scored on performance and longevity.

Edited by tedkord

Guest snapz54

overlooking his absence from this thread, I still talk to ninja now and again. He's around just very busy with life right now.

Thanks for your part of the group that drove this phone past it's stock handicaps.

Guest brainstorm03

Thanks Steele for all your hard work. Steel Sense was the first rom I flashed to on my O2, and was definitely one of my favorites. You were a big part of making this phone as good as it has been. Unfortunately I'm still a few months away from upgrading, but I'll definitely be moving to Android as soon as I can. Enjoy the new phone!

Guest Steel Reign
Yeah, I've gotta admit Moto does issue fixes better than Samsung. Samsung throws together first class hardware, but totally drop the ball on the software side - every time. Which phone was it that they promised a 2.1 update, then announced they were dropping further updates including the promised one?

My other issue with the X is the size - it's freaking huge (LxH, but not W). The larger screens are nice, but the phones are getting impossible to control one handed. And, they're hitting the furthest edges of pocketability.

I'll have to take your word on launcher pro, I've only fiddled with stock. But, remember, launcher pro and froyo will also speed up the fascinate, making it faster again. This is assuming Samsung releases froyo in a reasonable timeframe. But they seem to be doing Android more right than they ever did WinMo (Crappy TouchWIZ notwithstanding).

I feel your pain on the family plan. My wife and daughter are both up next month, but because Verizon didn't have anything compelling November 2 years ago, I didn't upgrade until Feb. Now, they've gotta wait to switch to Sprint.

And, why would Moto set stock voltages so high, at the cost of battery life? One of the biggest complaints with smartphones is battery life. The could have scored on performance and longevity.

The reason Moto sets the stock voltages so high, is that they want all the phones to have the same battery life. And to increase the yields for the processors. People wouldn't like it if one persons phone lasted longer than another.

Heres another thing, once you have froyo installed. The performance difference in the menus is negligible. As in almost unnoticeable, as menus aren't very demanding. After this all thats left is performance in 3d intensive applications, which I admit the Fascinate does win in that regard, but heres another thing. There will probably be very few apps that take advantage of that power until another big name phone comes out that is advertised all over the place IMO. As of right now the only phone that has the SGX540 is the galaxy s series. It puts all other mobile GPUS to shame.

Edit: But then again the Galaxy S is spread across many carriers, so who knows the power might be actually be worth something.

Edited by Steel Reign

Guest xlightwaverx

cya round KFC dude.

The reason Moto sets the stock voltages so high, is that they want all the phones to have the same battery life. And to increase the yields for the processors. People wouldn't like it if one persons phone lasted longer than another.

Heres another thing, once you have froyo installed. The performance difference in the menus is negligible. As in almost unnoticeable, as menus aren't very demanding. After this all thats left is performance in 3d intensive applications, which I admit the Fascinate does win in that regard, but heres another thing. There will probably be very few apps that take advantage of that power until another big name phone comes out that is advertised all over the place IMO. As of right now the only phone that has the SGX540 is the galaxy s series. It puts all other mobile GPUS to shame.

Edit: But then again the Galaxy S is spread across many carriers, so who knows the power might be actually be worth something.

Guest haveitnow

Thanks for all your contributions on this device, I still love my o2 and will probably stick with it until some of the newer phones comes out(dual core 1024X600). honestly while I am totally sold on android for a tablet I am not 100% sold for the phone UI(yeah I know google says the other way). Also while I have neither I have to disagree and say I would take the fascinate any day over the X. The size/forfactor is nearly perferct and the amoled sells the phone. I think the lcd on the X looks like junk, but then I am a video nut so.... however I had a friend go looking the other day was going in to buy the X, said he noticed the fascinate and it took him 30 seconds with the screen and comfort to change his mind.

just my 2c

anyway thanks again. cheers.

Guest snapz54
Thanks for all your contributions on this device, I still love my o2 and will probably stick with it until some of the newer phones comes out(dual core 1024X600). honestly while I am totally sold on android for a tablet I am not 100% sold for the phone UI(yeah I know google says the other way). Also while I have neither I have to disagree and say I would take the fascinate any day over the X. The size/forfactor is nearly perferct and the amoled sells the phone. I think the lcd on the X looks like junk, but then I am a video nut so.... however I had a friend go looking the other day was going in to buy the X, said he noticed the fascinate and it took him 30 seconds with the screen and comfort to change his mind.

just my 2c

I'm staying with my O2 until I can get my verizon iphone made of magic delivered by naked scarlett johansson. I can't wait til Q1 2011!!!

I'm staying with my O2 until I can get my verizon iphone made of magic delivered by naked scarlett johansson. I can't wait til Q1 2011!!!

I'll buy one if that happens as well.. maybe even 2 :-)

Guest Steel Reign

just my 2c

Yep, when it comes down to screens, the Super AMOLED does win in the eyes of most people, but not in mine. But hey, its all a matter of opinion :).

Hey Steel, thanks for everything here. You helped me love my O2. Gotta hack it to love it.

For me and a new phone, I am looking for screen size (but I know what people mean about the feel), no keyboard, and good speaker (phone and playback quality). Plus hackability, of course.

How do the X and the Fascinate compare for speaker sound?

Guest Steel Reign
Hey Steel, thanks for everything here. You helped me love my O2. Gotta hack it to love it.

For me and a new phone, I am looking for screen size (but I know what people mean about the feel), no keyboard, and good speaker (phone and playback quality). Plus hackability, of course.

How do the X and the Fascinate compare for speaker sound?

I know that the X has one of the loudest speakers I've seen, but neither phones have speakers that can compare to our stereo speakers unfortunately. I haven't heard anything about the speaker quality so I assume they are both about the same.

Guest tedkord
I know that the X has one of the loudest speakers I've seen, but neither phones have speakers that can compare to our stereo speakers unfortunately. I haven't heard anything about the speaker quality so I assume they are both about the same.

The Omnia II is one of the few times Verizon has gotten an existing model and actually made it better - the stereo speakers, the captive stylus, restyling the hideous cube button...Generally when VZW gets an existing device, it means slower processor, less ram, locked functionality. If they'd only added more ram and fought for more updates.

I really like the stereo speakers - they really do sound nice. The only other phone I've had that came close was an LG VX8300, which also had stereo speakers. I'm hoping that by the time I'm ready to re-up or move to Sprint, there will be another great stereo phone, but with a 3.7-4" super amoled WXGA, 512mb+ of real ram, dual core hummingbird or better, with good Ogl drivers, fully functioning FPU, etc...

Guest amdzero
The Omnia II is one of the few times Verizon has gotten an existing model and actually made it better - the stereo speakers, the captive stylus, restyling the hideous cube button...Generally when VZW gets an existing device, it means slower processor, less ram, locked functionality. If they'd only added more ram and fought for more updates.

I really like the stereo speakers - they really do sound nice. The only other phone I've had that came close was an LG VX8300, which also had stereo speakers. I'm hoping that by the time I'm ready to re-up or move to Sprint, there will be another great stereo phone, but with a 3.7-4" super amoled WXGA, 512mb+ of real ram, dual core hummingbird or better, with good Ogl drivers, fully functioning FPU, etc...

sooo...

you want a laptop in a phone form factor. Am I missing something here?