[FAQ]GT540 Reference Thread !

Guest ilovelg

Guest ilovelg

LEGEND:

• How to update from 1.6 to 2.1 ?
  • How to root my 2.1 device ?
    • How to unroot my 2.1 device ?

• How to insall Apps2SD ?
    • OMG my phone is bricked (dosnt turn on or is stuck on LG screen)! What to do ?!

Credits to mixlis for links.
      • Download KDZ Updater English
      • Download 2.1 ROM. All the ROMS are available in THIS THREAD (I Recommend using Baltic ROM)
      • Download LG Android Drivers NOTICE: IF YOU HAVE LG PC SUITE INSTALLED ON YOUR COMPUTER YOU CAN SKIP THIS PART.
      • Make sure USB DEBUGGING is turned on in the phone. Go to Settings > Applications > Development and turn on USB debugging mode.
      • Make sure MASS STORAGE mode is turned off. Go to Settings > SD card & phone storage and turn off Mass storage only.
      • Make sure your phone battery is full.
      • Make sure you have backed up your contacts. (optional)
      • Connect your phone with USB cable, make sure other side of the cable is pluged into back of the computer. (Some users reported that they were unable to flash theire roms into phone just becouse they used front usb ports).
      • Start KDZ_FW_UPD.exe
        • Make sure Type is set to: 3GQCT
        • Make sure PhoneMode is set to: DIAG

• Load your KDZ(ROM) file.
        • Click Launch Software Update.
        • Now Wait and be patient, it usually takes from 5-10 minutes to upgrade.
        • Enjoy your fresh 2.1 OS.

Credits to joestone for the links.
          • Download 1click root for GT540
          • Excract zip file
          • Make sure USB DEBUGGING is turned on in the phone. Go to Settings > Applications > Development and turn on USB debugging mode.
          • Make sure MASS STORAGE mode is turned off. Go to Settings > SD card & phone storage and turn off Mass storage only.
          • Launch root.bat from extracted folder.
          • Now wait and be patient, it should take ~1minute to root your device.
          • The phone should restard after it, when it boots up you will have sucesfully rooted your device.
            • If you dont wish to have root rights on your phone you can unroot it by launching unroot.bat from extracted folder.

3. How to Install Apps2SD to my 2.1 device ?

Credits to joestone for the links and the guide.

[*]Download autorootapp2sd.zip

[*]Download App2sd_guide_GT540.pdf

[*]Read App2sd_guide_GT540.pdf for further instructions. Guide have pictures in it.

4. OMG my phone is bricked (dosnt turn on or is stuck on LG screen)! What to do ?!

So you failed to read the guide and bricked your phone while trieng to flash GT540, heres what you should try to do.

How to repair device if you see only LG logo and nothing else happens when u boot your device up.

[*]Make sure you use USB ports that are in back of youre PC, dont use front ones.

[*]Disable LGE Virtual Modem. In your Windows operating system, go to Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager > Modems > Right click on LGE Virtual Modem and click Disable.

[*]Try to reflash your phone again, using normal way. You can check How in topic marked as 1.

How to repair your device if it feels like dead. When you click power button nothing happens (Note that this may not work, its only a theory)

[*]Make sure you use USB ports that are in back of youre PC, dont use front ones.

[*]Disable LGE Virtual Modem. In your Windows operating system, go to Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager > Modems > Right click on LGE Virtual Modem and click Disable.

[*]Try to boot your phone into Emergency/Download mode (VOL DOWN + POWER).

[*]If the phone booted into Emergency/Download mode, launch KDZ Updater.

[*]In TYPE dropdown menu, choose EMERGENCY.

[*]Load KDZ(ROM) and flash your phone.

[*]If the phone failed to boot into Emergency/Download mode (VOL DOWN + POWER), launch KDZ Updater.

[*]In TYPE dropdown menu, choose CS_EMERGENCY.

[*]Load KDZ(ROM) and flash your phone.

[*]If the phone still dont work, take your phone to local LG Waranty service or your Operator which sold you the phone. Tell them that after you turned the phone off, it dosnt seem to turn back on again. And also make some angry face, something like this: >:[ so the girls that work there would be scared and respect you.

TO BE CONTINUED.

Edited by ilovelg

Guest Prince of Dreams

Really nice work IloveLG :) Can I suggest this thread should be made a sticky so it stays near the top.

Thanks for doing it and putting the effort in, it is appreciated

Guest Mhsshark

Hello, i am new to androids ( GT540 is my 1st android )..

i got the phone with android 1.6 ( supported Arabic reading and writing )..

i had updated to 2.2 (Baltic) and rooted, but unfortunately Arabic support gone, now i can't view Arabic.. tried several ways to solve but nothing helped. is there is anyway to downgrade or get the Arabic support back?

thanx.. very helpful thread.

Guest ilovelg

i had updated to 2.2 (Baltic) and rooted, but unfortunately Arabic support gone, now i can't view Arabic.. tried several ways to solve but nothing helped. is there is anyway to downgrade or get the Arabic support back?

Goodevening, you propably have upgraded to 2.1 version, not 2.2, since 2.2 is not even out yet for GT540 atleast officialy :)

Problem is you cant downgrade to 1.6ROM now. And as far as i know theres no Arabic Languages 2.1 ROM out yet (Correct me if im wrong someone)

Your option would be to download "MoreLocale 2" From the Martket. It only will change half of the interface to Arabic tho, but its better then nothing :)

Edited by ilovelg

Guest ilovelg
yea sorry 2.1 not 2.2..

actually now the device cannot boot... got stuck on LG logo !!

i dont knw whats went wrong !!

Reflash ROM, you can see how to in first post.

Guest Mhsshark
Reflash ROM, you can see how to in first post.

thank u very much, reflash done.

actually am not looking for arabic interface.. i just need to read some sms and browse Internet.. let just hope a new Rom is coming with arabic support

Guest gstar101

That ones kind of sketchy for me, theres an option in MoreLocale2 [free in the Market] where you can set a custom locale. Press the button directly above the call button, select custom locale and try "ISO-8859-6" for a VERY basic Arabic character set.

Edited by gstar101

Guest desmail

hello, I am italian and i'm new member of the forum and the GT540 is my first smartphone.i've tried these steps for upgrade to the baltic but it takes me back to upgrade error: WParam100 Lparam: 502. I have tried several times but always the same. I installed the Android SDK and adb read the phone while PCsync LG does not recognize it. Please help me

Edited by desmail

A gazillion thanks to ilovelg (and to anyone else who provided the information), the emergency download instructions saved my bacon.

Thank you very, very much. :)

Guest deemyboy
thank u very much, reflash done.

actually am not looking for arabic interface.. i just need to read some sms and browse Internet.. let just hope a new Rom is coming with arabic support

Hi everyone,

i am looking for a complete arabic interface - you know, as if you were an arab with arabic as your only language and went to a shop in egypt or saudia and bought a phone, i'm sure we agree it would be in arabic right?!

anyway, it's not for me but for my friend that i gave a orange san francisco (aka ZTE blade). he's an arab with a tiny amount of english so needs it in arabic.

tried more locale 2 but it doesn't seem to work.

any other ideas

this phone has android 2.1

am i right in thinking that any android 2.1 rom would work, you know like, windows 7 works on a dell, sony or acer?

if that is true then an arabic 2.1 rom would be perfect, no?

it has the clockwork recovery mod installed and is rooted (i think - i am a newb)

thanks for your time

deemboy = newb squared

Guest exusermodaco

hi all!

i followed the step by step instruction but at the end of the day - i never encountered such error but to my surprise my lg optimus gt540 is still on 1.6?

i'll give it another try and see what happens.

God bless us all!

regards,

charl ad

Guest sexyrexxy

Thanks, worked great.

The official tools didnt work for me, stopped at 64%, gave me some bogus instructions on how to start again and pretty much bricked the phone.

This worked first go, although you forgot to mention to install the MSXML parser included with the KDZ_FW_UPD tools :)

Cheers!

Thanks a lot for this! It really helped! :) official updater stopped and bricked phone, then lg told me I'd have to send it away and pay for it! Thanks to this though I know have 2.1 and a rooted phone! :)

Guest max-greece

I just sent a note to Paul asking for this thread to be pinned to the top of the forum.

Excellent work here - should be recognized, IMHO and all that....

Hi,

I totally agree with max-greece... this thread should be pinned. :)

How to use that root superuser, to my phone nothing happened, the same phone when i rooted????