03/Nov r2: G2 Google Goggles Remover

Guest PaulOBrien

As promised, this is a fully working proof of concept of removing items from /system on NAND / EMMC locked devices with only temproot / root.

This application removes the stock Google Goggles install on the T-Mobile G2, which is useful because the stock Goggles install cannot be updated. DOH! Further 'stock app removal' utilities will follow.

Notes:

• This application is only for the T-Mobile G2
  • Temproot is required to run
  • Uninstall after use
  • The device will reboot twice during the removal process

The application is downloadable now from the Android Market - search for 'G2'.

Enjoy! :)

P

g2googlegogglesremover.png

Well, it's pretty neat... the stock recovery deletes update zips when it's finished with them... so I tell it to run /system/app/GoogleGoggles.apk as an update zip... which it tries to do. Then deletes it. And reboots. :)

Job done.

Genius no? :)

P

Guest rhcp011235
Amazing Paul! I cant wait to use this! The G2 source is out :), maybe something is lurking in there to be exploited for root access?

Why dont you come join us @ irc.freenode.net #g2root and help out. This is a great great start. Come over.

Guest wilnotdie

Hi Paul, if you get a chance, could you post steps/files to revert the changes to goggles.

I'm hoping to reinstall the original goggles app and then install the OTA. Without losing all my stuff reverting to stock.

Thanks.

Edited by wilnotdie

• 6 months later...