When you unlock UK ORANGE Omnia 7 - MMS will not work!

Guest R1200GSA

Guest R1200GSA

Hi Everyone,

Just thought I would share to all of those who will be unlocking an UK Orange Omnia 7 handset to work on another network (it could be the same for a locked Omnia 7 on T-Mobile or other networks) - you WILL NOT be able to change the MMS settings on the phone, i.e. you will not be able to Send (and more than likely receive) any MMS (Picture messages).

Microsoft, in their wisdom, have decided that carriers can effectively lock out certain functions, like MMS settings. There is currently no way of accessing MMS setting on Windows Phone 7 - HTC created an app called "CONNECTION SETUP" I think, which effectively does the job for you, however, I haven't found a way to download it from the Marketplace when not on an HTC phone. I have even tried to send the ZUNE link from a HTC phone so that I could call the app up directly from within the marketplace on the Omnia, however there are no install options.... BUM!

Even resetting the phone with your chosen network simcard installed will NOT auto load the MMS settings (as you might expect). Even your network APN will not be configured for you, but that's ok because it is available for you to create.

You will have to wait until either Microsoft update the OS and make the settings available OR some kind person writes an app similar to the HTC one.

It's not a deal breaker, but those thinking of unlocking for their network may think again if MMS is important to them!

Best,

Will

Guest Mysterious Stranger
Hi Everyone,

Just thought I would share to all of those who will be unlocking an UK Orange Omnia 7 handset to work on another network (it could be the same for a locked Omnia 7 on T-Mobile or other networks) - you WILL NOT be able to change the MMS settings on the phone, i.e. you will not be able to Send (and more than likely receive) any MMS (Picture messages).

Microsoft, in their wisdom, have decided that carriers can effectively lock out certain functions, like MMS settings. There is currently no way of accessing MMS setting on Windows Phone 7 - HTC created an app called "CONNECTION SETUP" I think, which effectively does the job for you, however, I haven't found a way to download it from the Marketplace when not on an HTC phone. I have even tried to send the ZUNE link from a HTC phone so that I could call the app up directly from within the marketplace on the Omnia, however there are no install options.... BUM!

Even resetting the phone with your chosen network simcard installed will NOT auto load the MMS settings (as you might expect). Even your network APN will not be configured for you, but that's ok because it is available for you to create.

You will have to wait until either Microsoft update the OS and make the settings available OR some kind person writes an app similar to the HTC one.

It's not a deal breaker, but those thinking of unlocking for their network may think again if MMS is important to them!

Best,

Will

Gutted. Have you asked the network to send the settings? Used to be an option online for o2 where you picked your handset and they sent a text with setup commands in it to read and delete.

M.S

Guest R1200GSA
Gutted. Have you asked the network to send the settings? Used to be an option online for o2 where you picked your handset and they sent a text with setup commands in it to read and delete.

M.S

No I haven't actually - didn't think of that, will give it a go and post the result.

Guest R1200GSA
It is probably not MS have decided but more the networks have asked for this.

Absolutely - however the settings are NOT available on the current version of the OS, hopefully MS will make these sort of things available when they release their first update.

Have to say, I do love what they have done with the new OS and the Omnia 7 is a cracking phone!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Scoob101
Hi Everyone,

Best,

Will

I`m in the same boat. I`m gutted. Phone going back tomorrow.

Guest yosnoor
No I haven't actually - didn't think of that, will give it a go and post the result.

Hi, have you managed to get your operator to send you the settings? Did it fix the issue? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, have you managed to get your operator to send you the settings? Did it fix the issue? Thanks.

Unfortunately (for me too) this is not going to be possible as Samsung themselves have addressed this issue and said their phones are designed to work with a specific carrier and that modification and changing of settings is not supported.

That's pretty gutting.. :P

Hopefully someone will find a fix sooner than later.

I've read an article about apply some XML files for the operator. Please google for that. It's a guy unlock a samsung focus locked from Rogers and use it with Bell.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
If anyone's interested there has been an app made to resolve this but you'll need to unlock your phone to do it. It's easy to do though..

http://www.nextbestgeek.com/2010/12/12/sam...no-mms-read-on/

Samsung are apparently currently working on an app that will be available in the Marketplace soon if you'd prefer not to "jailbreak" your WP7

Actually you can download network profile apps officially by Samsung. MMS is OK now.