Toshiba Folio 100, rooted

Guest SilentMobius

Guest steeevo
:huh: :D :D

OH MY GOSH!!!! WTF sorry again but i had to post this, MoDaCo admin if i am doing wrong please let me know because all i want to do is let people know the truth!!!

AVOID TOSHIBA LIKE THE PLAGUE

Their forums are Severely moderated and they try to tell you its a user to user forum < BULLLLLL, Im having topics removed left right and center when it concerns anything remotley negative regarding their crap, then high ranking forum posters trying to tell me that i agree with them when they post a reply disregarding what i had said .. WTF!!

Funny how these members have appeared from knowhere now they realise how much BAD press this device is getting and trying to spout positive dribble about it when they know it has severe flaws hence it being removed from the market!!!

MoDaCo Keep up the good work, sorry if i have gone against forum rules, but it seems like this is one of the few places left where your views can be aired without moderation. :rolleyes:

Oh man!!! Just spent the last hour looking at the Toshiba 'user-user' forum

Sorry if this is not appropriate but I had to post something on this.

I believe following are Toshiba employees on damage limitation, either that or TOSH has some fanatical fan boys. In fact I would go as far as saying it is the same employee as the language style is the same in all 3 :-

zackblood

PauPau

MasterG

Quote from MasterG when challenged by knobby

First of all this is a user to user forum.

You will not meet anybody from Toshiba here… you can talk and discuss technology from Toshiba here but don't ask for answers from Toshiba people because you will not gety any... it's a community

Everything what I can say about this device is that it’s more powerful as other similar tablet devices… so it’s powerful if you compare it to other devices…

Flash should be supported by the Folio 100

http://www.toshiba-multimedia.com/ ...so don’t speak about bluff…

I found many informations and movies and read a lot articles about the Folio 100 and in my opinion it's great device...

I found many informations and in my opinion you are not a user :huh:

Also a MoDaCo link was moderated to 'Message was edited: wrong link has been removed'

You and knobby Keep spreading the word mate!

I have to say that if they get flash and sort the buttons, I'll keep mine. But it's disappointing that the TOSH moderator think he need to go to these lengths.

FUD (Fracked Up Display?) Yeah, not good, but you need to take it home away from the store and use it before you can make a real decision - could live with it, but why should I.

Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt was what I actually meant. All the hype on the forums from a few very noisy individuals (but I guess that is what comes from signing an exclusive with DSG - not exactly ideal early adopter territory)

Guest Bisto321
Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt was what I actually meant. All the hype on the forums from a few very noisy individuals (but I guess that is what comes from signing an exclusive with DSG - not exactly ideal early adopter territory)

The noisy individuals may actually have helped those folio owners that decided to keep theirs.

I bet the withdrawal could be the best thing to happen to the folio - it has focused them on the fact that it is not right.

I assume you mean that the average casual DSG customer bamboozled into buying a folio, when he only came in to get a mouse mat, then complaining when flash is not on it and the screen make his eyes hurt and why oh why wont the sodding buttons work, is not the best type of early adopter?

Early adopters are early adopters - the name is on the tin - DSG exclusive or otherwise, if they want one they will get one.

They need to sell lots of these thing to decrease prices and see value in progressing the product - big high street chain stores are the ideal place to do this and then those of us that want to watch the Developers work their magic (sometimes via the odd brick or two) can rest easy that the good stable base product will be around for a while - with useful updates that the Developers can further modify.

That reminds me, I have just got to pop to PCW - I need to return a mouse mat.

Guest whatkatedoes

LOL! How they tease me!

Still.. its only the 8gb Archos.. I'd want the 16gb one.. which you can get online (when its in stock) for the same price they're doing the the 8gb at..

But still Tegra is lure on the Advent... and I dont like the super wide aspect of the Archos, I dont think it would be great in portrait mode for reading that narrow.

*bites fingernails*

the advent is up on the PCW site now!

and flavours of archos

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/advent-vega-...258762-pdt.html

Mine went back last night. Its a shame, I did like it, but it was driving me mad. Just when I thought I'd got it tamed and working how I wanted it too, it would freeze or become laggy. I just wasn't prepared to risk having a device that had the plug pulled on it early.

I still think the 512MB space on the Vega will be a problem. I'm now going on the fact that once the PCW exclusive expires, and more retails offer the Folio, when it's issues are resolved, then the price will come down. Plus I might hold off and see what devices come out when Gingerbread is released and available.

I'm actually going to try and be patient now instead of buying something on its day of release!!

Lets see what happens in the next month or two!

Guest Bisto321
just spoke to a contact at pc world,he said they have a "provisional" date of next wednesday for the toshiba folio 100 to be back on sale.

that’s good news Simon. Shows that when they get their act together they can probably do it right. WhyTF did they not delay for two weeks to bring it out in a better state still amazes me.

Bet they won’t rush the next Tablet/Android product to market and you can be sure as s*** that PCW will not want a 21 day exclusive if they do :rolleyes:

Guest derwent44
Mine went back last night. Its a shame, I did like it, but it was driving me mad. Just when I thought I'd got it tamed and working how I wanted it too, it would freeze or become laggy. I just wasn't prepared to risk having a device that had the plug pulled on it early.

I still think the 512MB space on the Vega will be a problem. I'm now going on the fact that once the PCW exclusive expires, and more retails offer the Folio, when it's issues are resolved, then the price will come down. Plus I might hold off and see what devices come out when Gingerbread is released and available.

I'm actually going to try and be patient now instead of buying something on its day of release!!

Lets see what happens in the next month or two!

Mine also went back yesterday. Shame!

just spoke to a contact at pc world,he said they have a "provisional" date of next wednesday for the toshiba folio 100 to be back on sale.

how can they be putting it back on sale next wednesday, if it has the same software?. because the problem is not with the hardware but the software., so does this mean that tosh is releasing an upgrade to its firmware by next wednesday?

really hope they pick up on their bad UI and make at least those hardware buttons more responsive as well as the screen. I will be keeping mine until next thursday, and will see if there is any dev on tosh side, or on xda. if not then i will be using my return policy. unitl now its not been my way, so it has to be the highway then with the folio.

how can they be putting it back on sale next wednesday, if it has the same software?. because the problem is not with the hardware but the software., so does this mean that tosh is releasing an upgrade to its firmware by next wednesday?

The launcher probably won't be changed, but if the issue is predominantly a bad flash image with some apps not properly installed, then why would you imagine it would be difficult to release a firmware update? The main time will probably be testing of the new image, not actually sw development. An update for the AC100 went live at the weekend but it seems to have been a test, and it is no longer there (but I think I have a .img which contains it somewhere)

Guest Bisto321

really hope they pick up on their bad UI and make at least those hardware buttons more responsive as well as the screen. I will be keeping mine until next thursday, and will see if there is any dev on tosh side, or on xda. if not then i will be using my return policy. unitl now its not been my way, so it has to be the highway then with the folio.

If you are able to (I was too weak) hold out for it, it could be good news.

Also, have a look at this XDA thread - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread...681&page=14

Dexter_nlb has a proven ROM record (have a look at his signature) and he is thinking that froyosense may be on the cards - even talking about it being 'easy' as he does not have to worry about the code associated with 3G or GPS.

He does seem to have a profile photo of a serial killer, though it is a fictional one :rolleyes:

Also, to those of you that have not tried this yet, I found on the Galaxy tab forum that if you download spare parts from the market and side load - you should then be able to use it to change 'compatibility mode' and force apps to run full screen :huh: Did not get to try it myself but others have said it works (not for all apps)

Guest steeevo

Well, have just seen that Amazon are doing the Galaxy Tab for £469, so mine is going back I'm afraid :huh:

It's a shame because it has great potential, but I would like something that works now. Plus access to more apps than Tosh Marketplace.

My son loved it, so I may come back to it in time for his birthday in March. Hopefully running Honeycomb :rolleyes:

I've had mine for over 2 weeks and bought it online. Has anyone had any problems returning it to a store after more than a week?

Also, to those of you that have not tried this yet, I found on the Galaxy tab forum that if you download spare parts from the market and side load - you should then be able to use it to change 'compatibility mode' and force apps to run full screen :rolleyes: Did not get to try it myself but others have said it works (not for all apps)

I can confirm this full screen thing. i have downloaded it and used it. it works perfectly. all apps that are running are running full screen.

I've had mine for over 2 weeks and bought it online. Has anyone had any problems returning it to a store after more than a week?

it depends on the return policy of the shop u bough it from. here in scandinavia, the return policy law is 14 days from receipt of the product. check with the shop, but i guess it pretty the same in europe. though some shops have prolonged return policies time.

If you are able to (I was too weak) hold out for it, it could be good news.

Also, have a look at this XDA thread - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread...681&page=14

Dexter_nlb has a proven ROM record (have a look at his signature) and he is thinking that froyosense may be on the cards - even talking about it being 'easy' as he does not have to worry about the code associated with 3G or GPS.

He does seem to have a profile photo of a serial killer, though it is a fictional one :rolleyes:

i am on the forum there, and have been following the developments on the folio. he mentioned to me to hold my breath and that in the coming weeks he will be having a look at the folio. i really hope, even more than any other person that he makes it through with the folio, and stabilising the OS and making those hardware buttons finally responsive. otherwise i will be sitting with a very expensive paper holder.

btw any one else have this issue? that the back and home buttons most of the time are irresponsive? the OS hangs and restart by itself?. the only nice buttons working all the time is the power button and the hardware search button. :huh:, power button comes in useful when the system hangs and have to reboot ( which is 99% of the time i use the folio), the search button has not mush use for me,, i'd rather have the back button working all the time.

Well, have just seen that Amazon are doing the Galaxy Tab for £469, so mine is going back I'm afraid :huh:

It's a shame because it has great potential, but I would like something that works now. Plus access to more apps than Tosh Marketplace.

My son loved it, so I may come back to it in time for his birthday in March. Hopefully running Honeycomb :rolleyes:

it is not hard to go from a 10" to a 7"?, i have an HTC Desire, it doesnt have the biggest of screens but then got the folio. and the 10" seems just right for web and movies, but thats just my opinion.

The launcher probably won't be changed, but if the issue is predominantly a bad flash image with some apps not properly installed, then why would you imagine it would be difficult to release a firmware update? The main time will probably be testing of the new image, not actually sw development. An update for the AC100 went live at the weekend but it seems to have been a test, and it is no longer there (but I think I have a .img which contains it somewhere)

all i would like from tosh is just to make the OS stable, make the device work as it should and get responsive hardware. as far as eye candy goes, well, we can always find something else without tosh help.

Oh, i forgot to mention,regarding something else, i tried to play mp3s from my sd card ( class4) and the music was all choppy and timeline was jumping. Tegra 2 is not supposed to be powerful enough to handle simple mp3s??, my omnia i900 plays the same file smoothly!

Guest Bisto321

uk distance selling rules give you the ability to return a product for any reason up to seven days after delivery. Obviously you are well past that, but as Dixons group had a 21 day exclusive, I assume you got it from one of their stores?

If you did, just take it back to your local store (print out the picture of the withdrawal notice) and tell them that you are not happy with the interface lag, response from buttons, etc and that you gave Toshiba time to fix it, but enough is enough.

I had mine for ten days before it went back and the guy was going to argue the return with me, until I showed him the withdrawal notice.

Best get it back soon though - looks like it might be back in store and 'improved' by next Wed.

all i would like from tosh is just to make the OS stable, make the device work as it should and get responsive hardware.

Your mentioning the mp3 playback makes me think I fixed mine - I did have this problem when it was new (before I managed to wipe some data), and used it last weeekend for playing music with no glitches. The procedure goes like this:

install systempanel http://android.nextapp.com/site/systempanel (you will need access to an android phone, an emulator, or search for the APK and install it). Other tools may work as well, but that is the one I am familiar with.

load it, menu, installer.

This will show you all of the installed applications. Make a list of them all, then work through the list doing the following:

1) Select the app in the list to get more details.

2) Select 'archive' and check it has backed up the app. Skip any which are copy protected and can't be backed up.

3) Un-install the app.

4) Re-install the app.

Move onto the next.

This will require you to enter any setup information again for each app, and to re-configure things like the supplied keyboard app, but it will make sure that any directories and configuration required is installed properly.