Blade vs Premium Devices

Guest ZootHornRollo

Guest ZootHornRollo

Hi,

I am seriously considering purchasing a Blade. The reviews all indicate it is exceptional.

...but how does it compare to a premium device?

i am in no way expecting it to be the same as a Desire but how close does it get? (i accept the camera is poor but it is not an issue for me)

I am currently using a Nokia N900 but seriously considering a change to android. I am not interested in 3D games. Main uses would be internet and Geocaching (so i am very interested in GPS performance - especially the accuracy when on foot).

I had a quick shot of one in an orange shot but the 'assistant' was being very unhelpful and wouldn't even let me connect it to their wifi to test the maps etc. It feels solid enough but i really didn't get the opportunity to test anything due to having no access to data! couldn't even look at googlemaps!

Edited by ZootHornRollo

Guest BArtNimal
IMO blade = 2/3 of the performance for 1/4 the price

if you are on a budget or don't want to be tied to a contract look no further

This is my first android phone, but i find the gps to be really accurate and fast in locating your position.

it beats my friends legend hands down and my boss's galaxy s as well. i know the legend isnt exactly premium (disputable) and that the galaxy has problems with gps, but that are the only phones i was able to test it against.

Edited by BArtNimal

Guest bear7364

This is my second Android phone. I got rid of my HTC Hero for this phone as it's way quicker and feels a lot smoother. I'm currently running 2.2 and have compared it to a friends HTC Desire also running 2.2 and in Neocore mine runs at 38.5fps with sound on and his Desire runs at 27.5fps !!! I know that the Desire would beat the Blade if you compared using games but this is the score it came up with. Also ran Quadrant and mine scores 975 and his Desire scores 1220, so pound for pound the Blade is great value !

Edited by bear7364

Guest Simon O

The staff in the Orange store don't really know much about the phones they sell and even less about the San francisco. I was in the Orange store this afternoon and chatted to a staff member about the phone. He didn't understand why it sells so well so I gave him a demonstration of my own phone running Pauls r4 ROM with LauncherPro. Then he could see exactly why people have been buying them. He couldn't even believe the screen is AMOLED either! Says it all about Orange lol... I should work there.. I know enough about the phone :)

Guest jimmy2x2x

I wouldn't put too much weight in benchmark programs, try running some demanding games if you want a real world representation of the blades capabilities.

Not that the blade is bad in anyway, but you will no doubt see improved performance on the 1ghz snapdragon devices over the blade, despite what neocore tells you.

I wouldn't put too much weight in benchmark programs, try running some demanding games if you want a real world representation of the blades capabilities.

Not that the blade is bad in anyway, but you will no doubt see improved performance on the 1ghz snapdragon devices over the blade, despite what neocore tells you.

Looking around, I found this interesting article on TechRadar UK: "20 best mobile phones in the world today" (mods, I assume it's ok to put the link here?)

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-co...ld-today-645440

The SF comes in slot no 8 - quite high up, considering the price!

seg

Guest ZootHornRollo

many thanks for the opinions. ...i think i'm going to get one! Probably order from Play since the orange shops put their minimum top up up to £20.

I'd agree with the others. About 75% of the performance for 25% of the cost. Brilliant performance for the price. Three of us at work have already bought one and four others are seriously considering it.

It's not perfect but that is as likely to be the apps as the phone.

Still needs a little debugging though as it has a few ( but minor) foibles. It sometimes stutters video playback in Realplayer on the train . I think this is due to it trying to reregister on the network or grab a 3G signal as it travels in and out of no signal areas. Though I can't prove this as it doesn't happen every day ( same journey every day)

But it's certainly good enough to stop me getting a Desire HD on a £35 a month 2 year contract, at least for now. Though that might change when Android 3 appears. :)

Guest lordjubblydave

I have just replaced my Galaxy S with the San Fran.

It compares VERY well due to the awful lag of the SGS.

I would actually choose it over the premium galaxy

All the features of the high end phones for 1/4 of the price is a no brainer in my book and at £100 if you dont like it, you have an awesome back up phone.

Just dont buy an SGS even with a custom rom and lag fix the only good thing on it is the screen

Hi,

I am seriously considering purchasing a Blade. The reviews all indicate it is exceptional.

I am currently using a Nokia N900 but seriously considering a change to android. I am not interested in 3D games. Main uses would be internet and Geocaching (so i am very interested in GPS performance - especially the accuracy when on foot).

i use mine for geocaching, does a great job, gps accuracy is spot on. Use c:geo with radar. Haven't tried the official app yet because thats a tenner and c:geo is free!!

Guest steve1221

My lads got a Desire (bought sim free) and wishes he'd waited and got a SF.

He runs set cpu and has his Desire running a 600hz to save the battery life. He can't see that much difference between the 2 even with the Desire running a full speed. . .

Guest grynch108
Looking around, I found this interesting article on TechRadar UK: "20 best mobile phones in the world today" (mods, I assume it's ok to put the link here?)

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-co...ld-today-645440

The SF comes in slot no 8 - quite high up, considering the price!

seg

Interesting. That link claims that an update to 2.2 is coming. I wonder what their source is?

I guess their source is actually this forum :-)

Yeah, tech sites/blogs lurking on tech forums and vice versa generates some serious positive feedback effect on rumors...

But still we'll be getting our vanilla 2.2 rom soon enough I guess - ZTE confirmed they'll release V880 2.2 kernel source code ASAP.

Guest mr_bridger

I have a Blade. i also have a N900. and a G1.

i have to say. i was really impressed with the Blade, and with android. especially over the lag i was getting on the 2.2'd G1.

but, the novelty of the blade soon wears off. and typing on it is an absolute chore. the N900's resistive toughscreen is miles better than the blades. the G1's was better too, sort of in between.

dont get me wrong, for the price the blade is excellent value. but it comes nowhere real close to the N900 as far as useability goes. the N900 lacks games and apps. but, N900's apps are all usefull ones, not ad supported fart apps. etc.

there is no phone ive seen that browses the web quite like an N900, (played on SGS, Iphone, Desire etc) and thats a reason id always keep it. yes get a blade, but, coming from the N900, if you were to be using the android as an everyday emailing surfing thing, id get a Desire Z. and thats what im going to do. i wont part with the N900 tho.

at the end of the day, its up to personal preference, i prefer keyboards. but as far as just a fone goes. u cant shake a stick at the blades value for money.

its a tough call, but if i didnt want a keyboard. id stick with the blade.!!

Ross.

from my N900 :)

Guest imperiallight
I have a Blade. i also have a N900. and a G1.

i have to say. i was really impressed with the Blade, and with android. especially over the lag i was getting on the 2.2'd G1.

but, the novelty of the blade soon wears off. and typing on it is an absolute chore. the N900's resistive toughscreen is miles better than the blades. the G1's was better too, sort of in between.

dont get me wrong, for the price the blade is excellent value. but it comes nowhere real close to the N900 as far as useability goes. the N900 lacks games and apps. but, N900's apps are all usefull ones, not ad supported fart apps. etc.

there is no phone ive seen that browses the web quite like an N900, (played on SGS, Iphone, Desire etc) and thats a reason id always keep it. yes get a blade, but, coming from the N900, if you were to be using the android as an everyday emailing surfing thing, id get a Desire Z. and thats what im going to do. i wont part with the N900 tho.

at the end of the day, its up to personal preference, i prefer keyboards. but as far as just a fone goes. u cant shake a stick at the blades value for money.

its a tough call, but if i didnt want a keyboard. id stick with the blade.!!

Ross.

from my N900 :)

I used to be a huge hardware keyboard fanatic but now I can make do with soft keyboard error correction and haptic feedback with a trade off against weight and bulk.

Edited by imperiallight

Guest ZootHornRollo
I used to be a huge hardware keyboard fanatic but now I can make do with soft keyboard error correction and haptic feedback with a trade off against weight and bulk.

weight and bulk of a keyboard are not a concern for me. I have always been weary of giving up the hardware keyboard but after a shot of typing on a desire i have come round to the idea that a HW keyboard is no longer a necessary feature.

With the latest 1.3 update causing me numerous problems (no end of minor problems but they all add up - post this on the maemo.org forum and you get pelters for being negative) i am fallling out of love with the N900. i think to get to the point i want to be at with the N900 i have to start again - complete wipe eMMC and all. but mr bridger, you are right.... the internet experience is something to behold on a handheld device. And the geocaching app is a bit special so that is my main 2 uses with huge ticks... but the battery life when using GPS is nigh on hopeless. My last geocaching trip up the hills ended after 90 minutes when the battery gave up.

i no longer wish to be tied to a contract and i cannot afford to buy a premium device out right. since escaping my vodafone contract on the data issue i am loving the freedom. i am considering the change to android for the marketplace. since the NITdroid project seems to have gone quiet i can only assume that there won't be a fully functional release for the N900.

Edited by ZootHornRollo

All the features of the high end phones for 1/4 of the price is a no brainer in my book and at £100 if you dont like it, you have an awesome back up phone.

Just dont buy an SGS even with a custom rom and lag fix the only good thing on it is the screen

The SGS is still a great phone, you just pay good money for it where you can get almost the same experience with the Blade for much less.

I've just reflashed my SGS with 2.2 Custom ROM and it's running extremely well.

Having said that, if I had a ZTE Blade as well I wouldn't be complaining one bit. I'm getting it for someone so I'll set it up and stuff and I'll enjoy doing so.

I've just done exactly the same thing, but have to disagree, a well sorted SGS is far superior to the Blade in almost every way, but the £170 extra I now have in my pocket makes it worthwhile! :)

But I do agree with most comments, the Blade is 90% as good as the the high end Androids, for 25% of the price, brilliant little phone.

Guest mr_bridger
weight and bulk of a keyboard are not a concern for me. I have always been weary of giving up the hardware keyboard but after a shot of typing on a desire i have come round to the idea that a HW keyboard is no longer a necessary feature.

With the latest 1.3 update causing me numerous problems (no end of minor problems but they all add up - post this on the maemo.org forum and you get pelters for being negative) i am fallling out of love with the N900. i think to get to the point i want to be at with the N900 i have to start again - complete wipe eMMC and all. but mr bridger, you are right.... the internet experience is something to behold on a handheld device. And the geocaching app is a bit special so that is my main 2 uses with huge ticks... but the battery life when using GPS is nigh on hopeless. My last geocaching trip up the hills ended after 90 minutes when the battery gave up.

i no longer wish to be tied to a contract and i cannot afford to buy a premium device out right. since escaping my vodafone contract on the data issue i am loving the freedom. i am considering the change to android for the marketplace. since the NITdroid project seems to have gone quiet i can only assume that there won't be a fully functional release for the N900.

We do seem to be in similar positions. i too got out of my VF contract early, and contimplating a full on swing to android. i think i would have a Meego powered N9 by now if it had been released. but that looks a long way off.

battery wise, the blade, id say, is no good on battery either. but then, what high end smartfone is?. at least u can get replacement batteries for N900 cheaply. 7 day return genuine batteries can be picked up for a few pounds on ebay . as yet, we dont have a cheap source of batteries for the blade. so thats worth thinking about.

having both the N900 and Blade is definately the way to go if the keyboard isnt an issue, and you dont want another contract. i didnt find the onscreen keyboad on the blade as good as the std Desire tho.

im on giffgaff for the N900, and tmobile for blade, both 10quid a month, both with unlimited (ok, tmob has fup) internet. i just want a new phone that will measure up! id be interested to know if others are in the same situation.

At the end of the day. you cant loose with a blade. they are selling on ebay for more than in the shops. so u can easily sell it on!!

Guest lordjubblydave

Sorry i was bashing the SGS. But i did stick with it for nearly 3 months applying every custom rom / lag fix could find only for it to still frequently lock up (20 sec black screens between apps etc).

But now have a tidy £200 left from the sale of it after buying my San Fran, so all is not lost.

I was very disappointed with the SGS but it was not really down to the phone it was Samsungs butchering of the android file system.

I do agree with the keyboard comments, it is a bitch to type on the SF keyboard.

Guest jimmy2x2x

Have you tried 'swype' keyboard?

I find it excellent for both swyping words and also it seems to be a lot more accurate for tapping, I have hands like spades and I can use this keyboard in portrait mode no problem.

Guest ZootHornRollo
We do seem to be in similar positions. i too got out of my VF contract early, and contimplating a full on swing to android. i think i would have a Meego powered N9 by now if it had been released. but that looks a long way off.

Very similar, i too have switched to giffgaff.

I have learned from my N900 experience that being an early adopter is not always a good thing so the N9 can wait. I am not saying the N900 is a poor device by any means - it just doesn't have the depth of software support.