Debrand rooted G2?

Guest worcester4x4

Guest worcester4x4

Sorry if I've missed a topic covering this, if I have could you point me to the thread please?

I have a T-mob G2, rooted, currently running FroydVillain 1.5 (Froyo).

All is fine except for the annoyance of the initial boot screen that says G2 and T Mobile. It doesn't affect anything else but I want rid of it. I have never used the Goldcard installation routine, never needed to as when I flashed the recovery image originally, it was still on an appropriate ROM level to allow this without a Goldcard.

Two questions then:

Do I need to "Goldcard" the phone to get rid of the splash screen?

Would "Goldcarding" unlock the phone - it's still currently locked to T Mob. Would I need to install a basic standard HTC ROM and then reflash, or just continue to use FroydVillain?

Sorry if all of this has been answered elsewhere, if it has please link me to it?

Thanks everyone.

Sorry if I've missed a topic covering this, if I have could you point me to the thread please?

I have a T-mob G2, rooted, currently running FroydVillain 1.5 (Froyo).

All is fine except for the annoyance of the initial boot screen that says G2 and T Mobile. It doesn't affect anything else but I want rid of it. I have never used the Goldcard installation routine, never needed to as when I flashed the recovery image originally, it was still on an appropriate ROM level to allow this without a Goldcard.

Two questions then:

Do I need to "Goldcard" the phone to get rid of the splash screen?

Would "Goldcarding" unlock the phone - it's still currently locked to T Mob. Would I need to install a basic standard HTC ROM and then reflash, or just continue to use FroydVillain?

Sorry if all of this has been answered elsewhere, if it has please link me to it?

Thanks everyone.

The boot screen is loaded by the ROM, so installing a new ROM would change the boot screen, it is just an animated gif.

You need the gold card if you can't get the ROM to install, as it bypasses the security settings on the phone that prevents you from ROMs that are not CID signed.

The gold card only provides the ability to bypass the security, it does not unlock the phone.

You still need an unlock code to unlock the phone's network to work on other networks.

Guest worcester4x4
The boot screen is loaded by the ROM, so installing a new ROM would change the boot screen, it is just an animated gif.

You need the gold card if you can't get the ROM to install, as it bypasses the security settings on the phone that prevents you from ROMs that are not CID signed.

The gold card only provides the ability to bypass the security, it does not unlock the phone.

You still need an unlock code to unlock the phone's network to work on other networks.

Thanks, that clarifies most of my questions.

I have the phone rooted, recovery image installed and I'm able to install custom ROMs, all of this is fine.

However, one question remains about the boot screen, I think I'm not explaining myself properly here, sorry for that. When the G2 is fired up from cold it initially displays a black screen that says "G2" and "T-Mobile" - this is what I'm referring to, probably incorrctly - as the boot screen. Following this screen the boot screen for whatever ROM I'm running (currently VillainROM) shows up. It's the first, initial G2 T-Mobile screen that I want to get rid of. Any suggestions for this?