Notification LED

Guest tmohammad

Guest targetbsp

If you have tasker you can get it to keep the phone awake (with the screen off) upon an unread sms or missed call event. It's not too much of a battery drain - about 4% an hour on mine and only when it needs to. If you have no missed events it sleeps as normal. If you don;t want to pay for tasker or have the hassle of setting it up then as suggested in another thread you can use Noled. It drains the battery at twice the rate as Tasker on my phone though.

@meliante if it's blinking occasionally then you have some app waking the phone for repeat notifications. I think it was oh!dougal that had to explain all this to me too. B) After playing, it seems all the 3rd party sms apps can do this as can missed call apps. Personally, I got bored of staring at my phone for a minute to see if I missed anything.

Edited by targetbsp

Guest mELIANTE

It may be, but I don't know if any of the apps/games I have installed do that.

Angry Birds

Barcode Scanner

Carango

Color Note

Documents to Go

Dropbox

Facebook - not logged in, process not running

Flick Kick Field Goal

Flick Kick Football

Gensoid

Marine Compass

MiniSquadron

MSN Talk Pro - not logged in, process not running

Ndrive

Penetrate

Reckless Racing

SpeedX 3D

Tapatalk Pro

Wikitude

This is everything I have installed, could any of it wake the phone? Notice that I don't have neither MSN Talk Pro nor Facebook running...

Nobody noticed this behaviour?

Guest womble_sanfran
If you have tasker you can get it to keep the phone awake (with the screen off) upon an unread sms or missed call event. It's not too much of a battery drain - about 4% an hour on mine and only when it needs to. If you have no missed events it sleeps as normal. If you don;t want to pay for tasker or have the hassle of setting it up then as suggested in another thread you can use Noled. It drains the battery at twice the rate as Tasker on my phone though.

@meliante if it's blinking occasionally then you have some app waking the phone for repeat notifications. I think it was oh!dougal that had to explain all this to me too. B) After playing, it seems all the 3rd party sms apps can do this as can missed call apps. Personally, I got bored of staring at my phone for a minute to see if I missed anything.

Would you mind explaining how you achieved that using Tasker?

Thanks

Guest targetbsp

OK... there are 4 profiles to this:

Number 1:

Context: Display Off

Task: Variable Set %NOTIFY_UNLOCKED to 0

Task: Wifi Net Disconnect (and bluetooth and gps if you usually use them and don't want them draining battery while the phone would normally sleep)

Number 2:

Context: Display Unlocked (you can't use on because the screen turns on as the phone rings or text is received etc)

Task: Variable Set %NOTIFY_UNLOCKED to 1

Task: Wifi Net Reconnect (note that as good as this sounds, it doesn't avoid the need for blade wifi fix in my case at least)

Number 3:

Context: Unread Text (in older versions of tasker, this is sms received)

Task: Wait Until %NOTIFY_UNLOCKED = 1, check every 2 seconds

you also need to click the screwdriver icon and set this to keep the device awake

Number 4:

Context: Missed Call

Task: Wait Until %NOTIFY_UNLOCKED = 1, check every 2 seconds

you also need to click the screwdriver icon and set this to keep the device awake

The only *possible* flaw with the above that I can come up with is if you actually pick up the phone to a text and have something like SMS Popup then I think you can deal with a text without unlocking the phone. In all but the most recent versions of Tasker the context was SMS Received so the phone would enter stay awake mode even if you dealt with the text. The solution to this is to quickly unlock and relock the phone after dealing with the text. It's possible the change to Unread Text in the brand new version fixes this but I haven't tested it. This won't affect calls because missed call is clearly a specific event.

The timers, which I have set to every 2 seconds want to be less than the shortest time in which you will keep the phone unlocked. 2 seconds is based on what I put above about unlocking and relocking the phone after a text. If you'll never have the phone unlocked for such a short time then you may gain some battery by increasing this time and reducing the frequency with which Tasker needs to check. But I don't think it will affect you much - I couldn't tell any difference between 2 seconds and a minute. If you forget to change the timer at all and leave it on 0 though it will check constantly in a loop and eat 16% battery an hour - cause I did that first time. B)

To any tasker experts, in an ideal world, I'd ditch profiles 1 and 2 and have the wait until condition respond to an event rather than a variable. But I can't find one suitable as, like I said, the screen comes on during a missed event. %KEYG would be ideal but it didn't seem to work - I assume because it's not dynamic?

Edited by targetbsp

I wasn't running any app in the background and not connected to USB/charging, it was just standing by me. It just blinked some times, I waited for it to blink again but it didn't. Didn't want to wait another 20min either ^^

Same just happened to me

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest radmannsdorf
I wasn't running any app in the background and not connected to USB/charging, it was just standing by me. It just blinked some times, I waited for it to blink again but it didn't. Didn't want to wait another 20min either

Do you have weather widget to update weather every 20min maybe?

Guest targetbsp

Since this has been bumped, I'll just point out that the notification lights work great in CM7 even when the phone is asleep. Pretty much the main reason I use CM7. :)

Guest oh!dougal
Since this has been bumped, I'll just point out that the notification lights work great in CM7 even when the phone is asleep. Pretty much the main reason I use CM7. :)

Two questions for you -

is this even when not connected to usb/charger?

and how does CM7 battery runtime compare? (I've understood it to be pretty poor, and wonder if there might be a connection there with HOW the phone was "sleeping".)

Guest oh!dougal

Duplicate post, sorry!

Modaco is running some slow scripts, and they are messing with Firefox .... skimresources ... aaargh!

Edited by oh!dougal

Guest targetbsp

Yes the notification light stays on (solid - no flashing) even while phone is unplugged and asleep (buttons don't wake it). The standby battery life is fine (it'll go for days) but I think in use it hits the battery harder than Froyo - but then it's faster so...

• 7 months later...
Guest lazyliam

i seee this is a old thread but im using core360 rom and LED aint working for me i believe it shopuld be and i believe the rom is based on gsf 19 so im wondering is there a LED notifaction patch i could try from back in gsf days are a slight kernal update?any old link are anything would be much appreciated