Android 2.3 out this week

Guest dj9928

Guest hero protagonist
2.3 is set to be released this week which will leave us 2 versions behind, are we any closer to getting 2.2 out of Alpha?

it seems that everyone's been waitin' for the release of the froyo sources from zte. Once we have that, it should be much easier to do a aosp build of 2.2. Right now there is no point in continuing the efforts with the hacked chinese rom imho.

Guest Ally Weir

also is there much point in continuing to make 2.2 available when 2.3 is just coming out? isnt it better to focus on getting it working on the Blade when released?

Guest oscheng
also is there much point in continuing to make 2.2 available when 2.3 is just coming out? isnt it better to focus on getting it working on the Blade when released?

Yes. No.

Pretty sure that as soon as we get a complete kernel source (whether thats eclaire or froyo) there will be efforts to port 2.3, we might even get it before ZTE offer 2.3 officially (if they ever do).

Guest flatnote31
Pretty sure that as soon as we get a complete kernel source (whether thats eclaire or froyo) there will be efforts to port 2.3, we might even get it before ZTE offer 2.3 officially (if they ever do).

They haven't released the 2..6.32 kernel for Froyo yet...Highly unlikely they'll ever think of maintaining with 2.3 ...

Because they're always in a hurry to make new stuff and sell to the masses, they care not for after-sale. The way I see it, that's their marketing policy....

Guest delboymel

ok, i'll ask a stoppid question cos i'm good at those!!

My san fran is running the stock rom that came with it, but i did root it to remove the orange bloatware and i'm quite happy with it - therefore it's got eclair 2.1. But to upgrade to 2.2 officially - is it straightfoward i.e. is this put in the marketplace for anyone to upload or ?????

Guest Azurren
it will prolly be a rom

Imo I think manufactures should supply the drives (Initially, conforming to a set stranded) and Google should update android directly :rolleyes:

This is the problem with Android, with so many devices etc etc, At least with Apple when they had an update everyone got it on the one date, job done.

You have so many varieties of android devices and updates all come at different stages if at all and its not just ZTE, Samsung has only recently released 2.2 and is some Sony Ericssons not still running 1.6? Whats being done at the min is say HTC release a phone, 2 months down the line they release another phone with newer software, the previous phone also gets the update then thats it dropped, another 2 months down the line another new phone and so the cycle continues.

What really should of been done here is whats been done with Windows phone 7, Exact specs phones have to be built to and then once an update everyone can have it on that day,

<snip>

What really should of been done here is whats been done with Windows phone 7, Exact specs phones have to be built to and then once an update everyone can have it on that day,

But what Windows phones have been able to progress from one version of the OS to the next? The key issue is that manufacturers are free to use what hardware they want (e.g. enabling ZTE to make the Blade so cheap), and you can't incorporate all the changes required in the kernel to support them in one uber kernel, as it would be so bloated it would need a netbook to run.

Guest Sebastian404
2.3 is set to be released this week which will leave us 2 versions behind, are we any closer to getting 2.2 out of Alpha?

While we are still 100%, what 'we' are likely to see this week is on OTA updates for some Nexus One Handsets. I'm not 100% convinced we are going to see a source release just yet.

But what Windows phones have been able to progress from one version of the OS to the next? The key issue is that manufacturers are free to use what hardware they want (e.g. enabling ZTE to make the Blade so cheap), and you can't incorporate all the changes required in the kernel to support them in one uber kernel, as it would be so bloated it would need a netbook to run.

Not Many, But Windows Phones Do Not Have Regular Updates.

Bince.

Guest Azurren

Windows Phone 7 is a different monster :rolleyes:

Hopefully they have thought it through. Imo all the WP7 devices released should get updates directly

Windows Phone 7 is a different monster :rolleyes:

Hopefully they have thought it through. Imo all the WP7 devices released should get updates directly

That's a very strong plus for Windows 7 phones then, but I imagine they'll only get "service pack" type updates, as opposed to a new version of the OS.

Guest Azurren
That's a very strong plus for Windows 7 phones then, but I imagine they'll only get "service pack" type updates, as opposed to a new version of the OS.

Whats the difference? :huh:

New rom = New features

Service packs = New features

:rolleyes:

:huh: - I meant service packs are normally bug-fix type releases. Would be good if they do release new functionality though :D.

New rom = New features

Guest oh!dougal

New rom = New features

In Microsoft-speak "new version" means "you are going to need a new machine to run this" ...

Guest Azurren

New rom = New features

In Microsoft-speak "new version" means "you are going to need a new machine to run this" ...

Yet all versions of windows work on most older PCs (1.8ghz processor, 512ram)

Microsoft could EASILY do the same for WP7

But only time will tell :huh:

• 3 months later...
Guest Camacha

Is it necessary for ZTE to release a version/kernel for the community to be able to adapt this version or is it possible for the modcommunity to get these somewhere else/make it themselves too?

It's something that is not quite clear to me.