To get a Desire Z or not?

Guest feelmychi

Guest feelmychi

I currently have a T-mobile Pulse, so you'll probably all run at me screaming "get one! It blows the pulse out of the water!". However, the best value I can find (although it's still f'ing expensive!), is with a 24 month contract. I need to be sure, that in going with one, I'm not going to be kicking myself next year when Android 100.5 'Meso soup' comes out and Google say: "Sorry Desire Z owners, you need a fireball-catalyst-super-giga-snaps-faster-than-Bruce-Lee-dragon processor to run our latest operating system. Oh, and did we forget to mention - it's the best reiteration yet, with 999999999999 new features, and can communicate directly with your brain so that you don't even need to physically do anything to use your phone! In fact, it'll even make you a cup of tea with its latest ability!. Oh, and it runs 10000000% faster than our previous releases!".

You get what I mean. Help me! XD

Alex

Guest vinokirk

They'll always be something faster, 6 months down the line! The best bet it to get the best phone you can get at the moment, which is pretty much the Desire Z I'd say IMO

Guest Double-K
I currently have a T-mobile Pulse, so you'll probably all run at me screaming "get one! It blows the pulse out of the water!". However, the best value I can find (although it's still f'ing expensive!), is with a 24 month contract. I need to be sure, that in going with one, I'm not going to be kicking myself next year when Android 100.5 'Meso soup' comes out and Google say: "Sorry Desire Z owners, you need a fireball-catalyst-super-giga-snaps-faster-than-Bruce-Lee-dragon processor to run our latest operating system. Oh, and did we forget to mention - it's the best reiteration yet, with 999999999999 new features, and can communicate directly with your brain so that you don't even need to physically do anything to use your phone! In fact, it'll even make you a cup of tea with its latest ability!. Oh, and it runs 10000000% faster than our previous releases!".

Alex

The best value I've found is with MPD, 18 month contract at £35 a month on t-mobile. Free Handset.

Total cost of contract: £630

24 months at £30 a month = total: £720

Edited by Double-K

Guest feelmychi
The best value I've found is with MPD, 18 month contract at £35 a month on t-mobile. Free Handset.

Ah, but you see I've found 2 contracts at £25 a month for 24 months, which comes to £600...

Guest Abra Cadabra

Got mine unlocked from Clove. Excellent service. Shipped almost immediately.. DHL took 4 days to get it to Dubai.. been playing with it for 2 days now and it's awesome :rolleyes:

Initial feedback moving from Blackberry 9700 + Desire (BB when travelling outside the office - need the keyboard when I'm not lugging a laptop around, Desire when in the office) to full time Desire Z:

1) Battery Life - MUCH MUCH Better.. this was my biggest problem with the Desire, barely lasted 8 hours in office, let alone a whole day. This one easily lasts me a day.

2) Fast!

3) Love the enhancements on the new Sense. Everything just feels more fluid. Too many improvements to list but e-mail client in particular (with corporate exchange sync) works beautifully with the keyboard. Like the customization options as well with skins (Slate is very nice). However I expect all of this will be available through HTC or Paul at some point for the standard Desire as well.

4) Keyboard is good not great. Slightly mushy when compared to a Blackberry for instance but good enough for me. This was the main reason I bought the phone and for the way I work (mostly e-mail, lots of browsing, then phone/messaging etc) I would't go back to a touch screen only phone.

5) Don't like touch keys for home/menu/back/search. Much prefer the Desire's physical buttons. However the touchpad is definitely better than the optical nub thing on the desire.

6) It's heavy - don't underestimate the weight. This one weighs down the pocket and you always feel like you may drop it if you are not careful. Desire was so light I barely knew it was there. Have dropped the desire more than once and gotten away with it but not so sure this will last too many drops.

7) It's solid - yes the keyboard can slide out if you lift it just so or slide back in if you angle it just so but in real use I don't find any issues. Works very well for me. Build quality seems to be excellent and I'm not sure what some people are on about.

No buyers remorse so far, particularly after yesterday's news of full root.

Edited by Abra Cadabra

Guest feelmychi
Got mine unlocked from Clove. Excellent service. Shipped almost immediately.. DHL took 4 days to get it to Dubai.. been playing with it for 2 days now and it's awesome :rolleyes:

Initial feedback moving from Blackberry 9700 + Desire (BB when travelling outside the office - need the keyboard when I'm not lugging a laptop around, Desire when in the office) to full time Desire Z:

1) Battery Life - MUCH MUCH Better.. this was my biggest problem with the Desire, barely lasted 8 hours in office, let alone a whole day. This one easily lasts me a day.

2) Fast!

3) Love the enhancements on the new Sense. Everything just feels more fluid. Too many improvements to list but e-mail client in particular (with corporate exchange sync) works beautifully with the keyboard. Like the customization options as well with skins (Slate is very nice). However I expect all of this will be available through HTC or Paul at some point for the standard Desire as well.

4) Keyboard is good not great. Slightly mushy when compared to a Blackberry for instance but good enough for me. This was the main reason I bought the phone and for the way I work (mostly e-mail, lots of browsing, then phone/messaging etc) I would't go back to a touch screen only phone.

5) Don't like touch keys for home/menu/back/search. Much prefer the Desire's physical buttons. However the touchpad is definitely better than the optical nub thing on the desire.

6) It's heavy - don't underestimate the weight. This one weighs down the pocket and you always feel like you may drop it if you are not careful. Desire was so light I barely knew it was there. Have dropped the desire more than once and gotten away with it but not so sure this will last too many drops.

7) It's solid - yes the keyboard can slide out if you lift it just so or slide back in if you angle it just so but in real use I don't find any issues. Works very well for me. Build quality seems to be excellent and I'm not sure what some people are on about.

No buyers remorse so far, particularly after yesterday's news of full root.

Thanks ^__^ I'll be sure to keep all that in mind when deciding whether to get one or not :huh:

Guest RyanMacG

I got lucky with Vodafone and got it on contract for £20 p/m over 24 months...think it's normally £25 and I got it discounted since it was an extra line. Worth trying them on twitter though if you're looking for a decent deal

Guest feelmychi
I got lucky with Vodafone and got it on contract for £20 p/m over 24 months...think it's normally £25 and I got it discounted since it was an extra line. Worth trying them on twitter though if you're looking for a decent deal

Wait what *intrigued much!!!*. What do you mean 'an extra line'?

Also sorry, how exactly did you go about sweet talking them into basically taking £120 off of your contract? XD

feelmychi

Guest vinokirk

I got mine from phones4u.

£25/m for 24 months= £600 and you get the phone there and then, no waiting for the postie and worrying that you might be out when he delivers lol :rolleyes:

600mind 500 texts 1gb(unlim) web

Guest RyanMacG
Wait what *intrigued much!!!*. What do you mean 'an extra line'?

Also sorry, how exactly did you go about sweet talking them into basically taking £120 off of your contract? XD

feelmychi

I have a Nexus one at £35 p/m that has a long time left on it :rolleyes: My partner has a Tattoo at £25 p/m that she pays for but is under my name, technically this makes the Z a 3rd line but really only results in 2 for me. I also have a 3 MiFi so I'll just cancel that and only be paying £5 extra overall :huh:

Also sweet talking just involved tweeting @VodafoneUKDeals on twitter and waiting for a call, downside is I'm having to wait for stock to turn up before they can confirm when I'll get it :huh:

Edited by RyanMacG

Guest mr_bridger

Been toying with the idea of getting one myself.. i have similar useage to you, emails txts etc... I have a N900 and love the keyboard on that, so when you say mushy, what do you mean exacly? are the keys rubber? look like it on the pics. ever used a G1? are they anything like that?

ive found a deal at MPD, T-mobile, £25 a month on 18 month deal. OK its £135 up front, but only works out to £585 for the full term.

100 mins (i dont talk much)

Unltd TXT

1GB internet.

seems quite good to me, just worried about the keyboard... i had originally planned for a Nokia N9. but thats a way off...

Guest SozzaSinnian

I can feelmychi, on the benchmarks the Desire Z wins hands down at stock. Once you overclock it from 800Mhz to 1400Mhz it kills everything in sight :huh:

Bought one the other day and love everything about the phone! No issues what so ever and I always find something with a new phone that I dislike within a few hours of using it, not this time though :rolleyes:

Guest Abra Cadabra
Been toying with the idea of getting one myself.. i have similar useage to you, emails txts etc... I have a N900 and love the keyboard on that, so when you say mushy, what do you mean exacly? are the keys rubber? look like it on the pics. ever used a G1? are they anything like that?

The keys feel rubbery. They don't have too much travel and not very "clickey" particularly when compared to a Blackberry keyboard which I still consider the gold standard.

If you are basing your decision on the keyboard alone I'd advise you to try before you buy.

Have not used a G1 so can't comment.

Edited by Abra Cadabra

Guest feelmychi
I can feelmychi, on the benchmarks the Desire Z wins hands down at stock. Once you overclock it from 800Mhz to 1400Mhz it kills everything in sight :huh:

Bought one the other day and love everything about the phone! No issues what so ever and I always find something with a new phone that I dislike within a few hours of using it, not this time though :rolleyes:

XD Way to throw a spanner in the works XD I'd nearly convinced myself that an N1 would do the job... Desire Z contract it is then!

feelmychi

Guest feelmychi
Ha ha, not to worry feelmychi. I'll be very surprised if your not happy with it. Being as your sold on one now heres a couple of screenshots to let you know what your in for with the speed :rolleyes: (Sorry about the "sending benchmark results", the screenshot app picks that up even after it has finished :S)

Pretty sweet ey :huh: Can't wait to see what this monster can hit with the custom optimised roms that are to come :huh:

Aww damnit I am SO confused right now XD The Desire Z looks sooooo appealing, and I know that Android will work just beautifully... But earlier today, this tiny thought came into my head, and I am now *seriously* considering a WP7 phone XD What on earth has driven me to this, I don't know, but I seriously hope that it sorts itself out...

Guest vinokirk
Aww damnit I am SO confused right now XD The Desire Z looks sooooo appealing, and I know that Android will work just beautifully... But earlier today, this tiny thought came into my head, and I am now *seriously* considering a WP7 phone XD What on earth has driven me to this, I don't know, but I seriously hope that it sorts itself out...

WP7 is a 'beautiful' OS and I can see it becoming a major player in the not too distant future. I have always been on Windows CE since it first came out in '98, so I'd be the first to say get a Windows based phone. But personally id go for an Android phone ATM till WP gets it roots set in the ground and its app market grows.

Guest Abra Cadabra

For me it was a very very close call between the Desire Z and the Venue Pro. I just love the idea of the Dell form factor but not sure how well it works in actual use. Eventually it came down to WP7 being a v1 from Microsoft and the Venue Pro being a v1 from Dell being too much of risk for me. I will probably get a WP7 (Probably the next iteration of the venue pro) at some point in the future.

• 4 months later...
Guest PrakashDavid

I've been planning to buy a Desire Z and was going to do it by next week but now I'm a bit confused whether I should get the Z or the Desire S!!! Having used the Orange SF for a while, I believe I can do without a physical keyboard but feature wise I would really like to know what I'll be missing or gaining if I get the Desire S (other than the physical keyboard/front facing camera). I need to make a decision by this weekend. Please help!!! I'm still leaning towards the Z since I've heard the latest android update will be out for the Z by this month (April). P.S. I'm purchasing the SIM free version from either Amazon or Play and for £321 on Amazon for the Z it's a steal!!!

Edited by PrakashDavid

• 4 weeks later...
Guest LambOfGod

Alex

LOL im in the same boat, have a pulse, but i broke the glass on the front, so have the pulse mini as a replacement.. god damn phones so expensive tho =[ desire z i seen around 350-400, but over ebay 250... but do i trust an ebay phone.... hmm