Commtiva n700 - just purchased!

Guest ccs-digital
Can anyone confirm the Kernel version & Build Number that is shown in the currently available Versions of the N700 from Staples & Tesco?

Thanks

Mark

Kernel version: Apps_2.6.32.9

Build number: 0009_3_161

Bought from Tesco.

Guest ccs-digital
Flash not working on this is the only dissappintment I can find on this device and perhaps a rom upgrade may resolve this?

The Carrypad review of the hardware-identical Viewsonic Viewpad 7 suggests that it is the processor that is the limiting feature for these devices supporting Flash.

Carrypad Viewsonic Review

Guest FatherD
The Carrypad review of the hardware-identical Viewsonic Viewpad 7 suggests that it is the processor that is the limiting feature for these devices supporting Flash.

Carrypad Viewsonic Review

Thanks for this, an excellent review too ... But I thought this was an arm 6 cpu ... I feel a wiki session coming on when I get off the train :rolleyes:

Edit: Due to a spell of presumptuous numptification ... The above statement is withdrawn .. Arm11 it is!

Edited by FatherD

Juuuuuuuuuuusssssssssstt about held off pulling the trigger and buying one of these.

I saw Paul MoDaCo mention that staples have it for £280! I can also get 7% cashback from topcashback so would've worked out a bargain (I'm still tempted).

However I saw on the Advent Tablet thread there's mention of a near identical (to the Commtiva) Tablet but with a 1Ghz processor. I'm sure it won't be as cheap, but I think I'll kick myself it I don't hold out for it.

I've gotta say, this Tablet does look mightly slick running FroYo - the resposiveness looks just what I'd hope for/expect!

Keep up the posts!

Guest FatherD
Juuuuuuuuuuusssssssssstt about held off pulling the trigger and buying one of these.

I saw Paul MoDaCo mention that staples have it for £280! I can also get 7% cashback from topcashback so would've worked out a bargain (I'm still tempted).

However I saw on the Advent Tablet thread there's mention of a near identical (to the Commtiva) Tablet but with a 1Ghz processor. I'm sure it won't be as cheap, but I think I'll kick myself it I don't hold out for it.

I've gotta say, this Tablet does look mightly slick running FroYo - the resposiveness looks just what I'd hope for/expect!

Keep up the posts!

Yep, there seem to be a slew of up-specced tablets about to launch. Many don't have 3g though, I think that's true of the Advents that are coming!

I noticed the Staples price is PLUS VAT (cheeky), so the Tesco deal is better.

Might be tempted to order one if there's another people who want a custom ROM etc...

P

Guest FatherD
Might be tempted to order one if there's another people who want a custom ROM etc...

P

Custom rom, custom rom .... o_O fatherd has to rush to the loo

Edit: but seriously, I managed to root this and flash clockwork recovery, but cannot boot into the recovery, also root explorer allows me to delete stuff from the system but not paste anything in! Seems it is fairly well locked down, so I for one would love to see you break this baby open B)

Edited by FatherD

I noticed the Staples price is PLUS VAT (cheeky), so the Tesco deal is better.

P

Hmm, good spot, I missed that. It doesn't seem such a bargain now, so I don't feel so bad waiting B)

I wonder if they'll be an onslaught after Christmas of new tablets? Seems a missed opportunity. Sorry, off topic. I'll stop now!

Custom rom, custom rom .... o_O fatherd has to rush to the loo

Edit: but seriously, I managed to root this and flash clockwork recovery, but cannot boot into the recovery, also root explorer allows me to delete stuff from the system but not paste anything in! Seems it is fairly well locked down, so I for one would love to see you break this baby open B)

Hmmm, based on that info, sounds dead easy to get it fully open. Gah. Don't really have the funds to spend on another gadget! Maybe i'll get it from Tesco and return it within 7 days depending on the level of interest...

P

Damn you lot, I just ordered one from Tesco, for delivery Saturday! :)

I plan to have a play, fully open it up with custom recovery etc. within the 7 day period, and see what level of interest there is.

Basically, if enough people are interested and it generates some Plus and Ad Free signups to cover the cost i'll keep it, else i'll probably have to return it. B)

P

Guest FatherD
Will set up a N700 forum area shortly...

P

Good sir .................................................... THANK YOU! B)

oh ... and sorry to put you to the cost! :)

Guest space_cowboy1985

I might have a look at one at the weekend. If the vega is put back another couple of weeks I might get one of these. I mainly just want something for dev purposes. The processor is a big put off though, I believe they were saying that future versions will require a 1Ghz chip. Id hate to be hasty and get one, just to kick myself in the new year when they start to bring out ones that can clean my dishes. Ill keep checking to see how Paul gets on.

Guest froobra

I picked one up from Tesco on the way home from work today. Here's a mini review:

Pro's

- Its Android! 2.2 no less!

- Its fairly responsive. Zipping around from app to app to menu etc is nice and quick.

- Speakers are great.

- It comes with a nice case

- It has removable storage

Con's (this is where it all falls apart for me)

- Screen resolution is poo. As mentioned in an earlier post, small text is a bit jagged and not very clear at all.

- Video playback is poor. I tested a low res avi and a 720p mkv file (with Rockplayer). The avi file lost audio sync about 30 secs into playback and didnt recover. The 720p file played about 1 frame a second. Unwatchable.

- The soft buttons (back, home, search, menu) are poorly placed and get in the way. I used the device almost solely in landscape mode and I kept accidentally touching a soft button which just ended up annoying me.

- I found touch input to be flaky. While scrolling pages, screens with a finger it would sometimes think I'd clicked on a link or button.

- The camera takes poor stills. A 2mp iPhone 3G took better snaps.

- No Flash support! Gah!

- Its too expensive for what it is. You can buy much cheaper Shanzai based tablets for roughly the same performance.

- Its not 10 inches (the optimum size for a tablet device IMO)

My primary tablet at the moment is an iPad. I am a Mac user but not an IOS fan (I'm not impressed with how Steve Jobs wants to control the way we use his mobile devices) but there really isnt anything that comes remotely close to the user experience on an iPad right now. For £130 more, go buy yourself an iPad and wait for Android and OEMs to catch up to it. Not even the Samsung Galaxy Tab comes close to matching the iPad (I used one of them for all of about 2 hours before I put in on ebay!) in terms of hardware design and ultimate functionality.

I'm glad I used this device. Because now I know I can give the Advent Vega a wide berth IF it's ever released B)

I'm glad I used this device. Because now I know I can give the Advent Vega a wide berth IF it's ever released B)

Why? This device doesn't have much in common with the Vega really...

P

Guest ccs-digital
Con's (this is where it all falls apart for me)

Erm, how big did you expect the screen on a 7" tablet to be? B)

Guest froobra
Why? This device doesn't have much in common with the Vega really...

P

Video is a big deal for me Paul. Air Video on the iPad has spoilt me. I love being able to stream nearly any video format even at HD resolution without any frame skipping. Try as I might I havent been able to do this on any android tablets Ive tried so far.

- Screen resolution is poo. As mentioned in an earlier post, small text is a bit jagged and not very clear at all.

It's standard resolution for Android. Haven't noticed jaggy text, what were you using?

- Video playback is poor. I tested a low res avi and a 720p mkv file (with Rockplayer). The avi file lost audio sync about 30 secs into playback and didnt recover. The 720p file played about 1 frame a second. Unwatchable.

Can you provide a link to the video/s you used for comparison? I've only tried you Youtube app so far and that played fine.

- The soft buttons (back, home, search, menu) are poorly placed and get in the way. I used the device almost solely in landscape mode and I kept accidentally touching a soft button which just ended up annoying me.

Do you mean touch sensitive buttons? "soft" to me refers to *on-screen* buttons (if not, my mistake). I've also noticed it's easy to accidentally hit one of these button but I'm sure I'll get use to them. I like that they all light up once one is pressed.

- I found touch input to be flaky. While scrolling pages, screens with a finger it would sometimes think I'd clicked on a link or button.

Give the screen a bit of a rub with a lint free cloth. I've noticed on several touch screens that the plastic cover leaves a bit of sticky-ness. Much smoother after a bit of polishing.

- The camera takes poor stills. A 2mp iPhone 3G took better snaps.

Agree it could be improved. Expected better from 3M camera. I'm betting it can be improved in sw.

- Its too expensive for what it is. You can buy much cheaper Shanzai based tablets for roughly the same performance.

But same spec? Which alternative tablets are you thinking of?

Doh :) Didn't you know it was 7" when you bought it?

- My primary tablet at the moment is an iPad.

Oh ;) Not really a fair comparison then. Staying on the same playing field, a better comparison would be to the Samsung tab and I'm happy with my bang-for-bucks B)

- I'm glad I used this device. Because now I know I can give the Advent Vega a wide berth IF it's ever released :)

Scratches head, like your logic there buddy, don't like device X (used) therefore won't like device Y (not yet even reviewed) ;) Just kidding with yer, long live your iPad!

Guest steviesteve

Got one myself at Staples a week ago. I work for a Mobile Phone network and get to play with all the latest tech and trust me when I say, this device is an absolute bargain. The Galaxy may have a higher screen resolution and higher speed processor but in real terms it's hardly noticable - plus the cost saving on this makes those differences more than edible. Tried the Toshiba Folio and that was an abomination, the Vega will be the same. The 7inch form factor is just perfect and better than the iPad (which I have also owned but sold) IMHO. If a custom rom could be created to add a little overclock for some extra speed, it would be flawless - well apart from the Flash player limitation (not sure if that will ever be sorted due to the MSM7227 chipset).

Cheers Paul: I've used your ROMs for years and I'm a big fan - any info you need regarding my device, let me know. If you are creating a ROM I will be glued to this forum for some time to come!

Thanks again.

Video is a big deal for me Paul. Air Video on the iPad has spoilt me. I love being able to stream nearly any video format even at HD resolution without any frame skipping. Try as I might I havent been able to do this on any android tablets Ive tried so far.

Well, yeah, but this has a 600MHz processor and the Vega has a 1GHz Tegra that should be able to handle 1080P output. Hence my comment. B)

P