Commtiva n700 - just purchased!

Guest steviesteve

Sorry if it's been mentioned already, there is a root/recovery guide on XDA developers but thats pretty much it for this device at the moment.

Paul: Can this thread be moved to the relevant forum? B)

Guest hucqim80
Do 'adb shell ls /', that might give me a clue!

P

this is what I get..hope this help..

$ ls /

ls /

var

misc2

hidden

misc

config

cache

sdcard

acct

mnt

d

etc

persist

system

sys

sbin

proc

init.rc

init.qcom.sh

init.qcom.rc

init.goldfish.rc

init

default.prop

data

root

dev

$

I've been looking at commtiva z71 at cyanogenmod github..most of it compatible with our devices..wonder what to take in system.img for proprietary files in bin and etc..

Edited by hucqim80

Video is a big deal for me Paul. Air Video on the iPad has spoilt me. I love being able to stream nearly any video format even at HD resolution without any frame skipping. Try as I might I havent been able to do this on any android tablets Ive tried so far.

Yes, but that doesn't really explain why a 600MHz MSM7227 tablet's performance makes you rule out a Tegra2 based tablet.

It's like saying "I want to do 150MPH" but then ruling out a Ferrari because you drove a Trabant once and it couldn't do it. B)

P

Guest FatherD
Got one myself at Staples a week ago. I work for a Mobile Phone network and get to play with all the latest tech and trust me when I say, this device is an absolute bargain. The Galaxy may have a higher screen resolution and higher speed processor but in real terms it's hardly noticable - plus the cost saving on this makes those differences more than edible. Tried the Toshiba Folio and that was an abomination, the Vega will be the same. The 7inch form factor is just perfect and better than the iPad (which I have also owned but sold) IMHO. If a custom rom could be created to add a little overclock for some extra speed, it would be flawless - well apart from the Flash player limitation (not sure if that will ever be sorted due to the MSM7227 chipset).

Cheers Paul: I've used your ROMs for years and I'm a big fan - any info you need regarding my device, let me know. If you are creating a ROM I will be glued to this forum for some time to come!

Thanks again.

Here here!

Guest fester61

Had mine for 48 hrs and I think it's brilliant for the price. (Tesco £299)

Had an exchange of emails with Linx support and they confirmed that they will be working on an update to Android 3 when it becomes available.

The only downside I've come across is the supplied headset which is about as cheap and nasty as it's possible to get.

Not certain I'd want to carry it around in my pocket, I'll stick with the Dell streak for that, It's a little heavy in the hand not helped by the metal band but it appears to be quite robust. It's mainly for my daughter to use whilst travelling.

Trying to establish optimal settings for video files, lots of DVD's and AVI's / MPG's not found one that plays full screen under hardware acceleration or plays the audio properly under software acceleration. Any suggestions?

Is this the same tablet?

http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=60187

Claims to have a 1ghz processor on CCL, and similar pricing to Tesco.

Looks the same but, unless I'm mistaken, there's no mention of 3G/sim card slot on that page?

If it does actually have both (1Ghz processor & 3G) I might actually have to give in and get one!

Guest steviesteve
Looks the same but, unless I'm mistaken, there's no mention of 3G/sim card slot on that page?

If it does actually have both (1Ghz processor & 3G) I might actually have to give in and get one!

CCLs listing is incorrect. It is the same tablet. It has 600MHz processor and 3G - it can also be used for voice-calling but ideally you would need a bluetooth headset as the device is too large to be held to the face.

The confusion has come from the original speclist from Viewsonic who also rebrand this device as the Viewpad 7 - Viewsonic also sell another (larger) tablet which does have the 1ghz... As word has gotten around the specs seem to have become blurred.

This tablet is really well made and the processor speed is not that much of a limitation to be honest becuase it is supported by a dedicated graphics processor which keeps the tablet humming along quite nicely.

CCLs listing is incorrect. It is the same tablet. It has 600MHz processor and 3G - it can also be used for voice-calling but ideally you would need a bluetooth headset as the device is too large to be held to the face.

The confusion has come from the original speclist from Viewsonic who also rebrand this device as the Viewpad 7 - Viewsonic also sell another (larger) tablet which does have the 1ghz... As word has gotten around the specs seem to have become blurred.

This tablet is really well made and the processor speed is not that much of a limitation to be honest becuase it is supported by a dedicated graphics processor which keeps the tablet humming along quite nicely.

Oh I know it's lovely & responsive - had a play with one in Staples the other day. My concern over the processor speed is limitation of newer versions of Android. My understanding was there would be a cut-off for the sub-1Ghz processors with the upcoming versions. However this may not be an issue judging from the comment above (fester61).

I'm trying desperately to wait for newer models to appear as I don't want to kick myself if it is a major limitation down the line. I'm mainly planning on using one for work - I travel around so it would be for finding places local to me etc.

I know I'd end up using it at home as well and it would be shame to be missing out on things such as iplayer - assuming that would actually need (work on) a 1Ghz processor.

It still is a massive bargain though. Considering it can be used as a phone, if you really want to live the Trigger Happy TV dream that is B)

Guest FatherD
I've port a ClockworkMod recovery for this devices..cwrecovery.img

Its a same device as Spice MI700 or Viewpad 7 or Camangi FM6..

How do I get this recovery flashed, should I .zip it and use Rom Manager .. or some other way?

thanks.

Guest FatherD

In appreciation for this device getting a good deal of attention, not least of course from Paul, I will at my next dosh-laden opportunity upgrade to the Plus account B)

Guest hucqim80
How do I get this recovery flashed, should I .zip it and use Rom Manager .. or some other way?

thanks.

Download this flash_image unzip first

adb push flash_image /system/bin

adb shell

su

chmod 4755 /system/bin/ flash_image

backup your recovery first!

# cat /dev/mtd/mtd3 > /sdcard/recovery.img

download the Clockwork recovery..put it in root of the sdcard..

run this in terminal emulator or adb

# flash_image recovery /sdcard/cwrecovery.img

Edited by hucqim80

Guest fresh87

Well I've also now had this for about 48 hours and its a great little tablet!

In regards to decpvr comment about iplayer, you can download the old version of myplayer and that works fine on mine!

Looking forward to Paul receiving his and 'tinkering' with it.

Has anybody figured out how to do video calling with the front facing camera yet, using fring for example which so far only uses my rear facing camera?

Guest hucqim80
Has anybody figured out how to do video calling with the front facing camera yet, using fring for example which so far only uses my rear facing camera?

Run the camera app first..toogle front camera..press home..run new instance of fring..

Guest hucqim80
Thanks for that, I take it there is no permanent fix for this at the moment?

Unless you can make the front camera default in the camera app?

No problem..maybe somebody expert could do it.. B)

Guest FatherD
Download this flash_image unzip first

adb push flash_image /system/bin

adb shell

su

chmod 4755 /system/bin/ flash_image

backup your recovery first!

# cat /dev/mtd/mtd3 > /sdcard/recovery.img

download the Clockwork recovery..put it in root of the sdcard..

run this in terminal emulator or adb

# flash_image recovery /sdcard/cwrecovery.img

Many thanks .. will have a go at this when I can get my ADB connection working to this device! With the exception of getting SuperOneClick to root it, this is the first android I have owned that neither my Win or Lin machines can see easily!!

Edit: in fact, I have been trying to get a connection in both Windows and Linux for the past hour .. no joy 'unknown' or 'device not recognised' B)

Rom Mnager claims it has written a new recovery, but I don't think one is there now, the device just hangs if I boot into recovery, there is no sign of a recovery.img anywhere when I browse with Android Mate or RootExplorer!! :)

Edited by FatherD

In regards to decpvr comment about iplayer, you can download the old version of myplayer and that works fine on mine!

Oh no! I'm trying not to get this just because it's a good deal. Now you tell me that and I'm finding it hard to resist!

I'll try to wait and see how you guys and Paul get on with it before making any decisions. Thanks for the info though!

Guest satiros

hi

this is what i read looks cool from cpu standpoint

http://smartphonebenchmarks.com/forum/inde...-good-are-they/

@foobra

sorry it sounds bad if you have bought anything from apple then I apreciate you less

Steve jobs really understand the meaning to own just to own it .

He understands

what do we have-thesituation- next gen phones -touch -give them the best screen and a snappy enviroment

then fxxxck it with apple bulshit -limitations

enough

only community of users-devs can make this tablet better and make it go past some shortcomings

only then its a bargain this is a great place to do that

I will be watching to see whats the future of this device looks very interestiing