32gb sd and SF

Guest sikhcentral

Guest sikhcentral

I have bought a new 32gb micro sd card and tried to get it to work in my SF unsucessfully.

When I first put it in my SF it wouldn't detect it and still say waiting for SD card.

So then downloaded the SD formater off sdcard.org tried that and put in back in my SF. Now it says my SD card is damaged and might need reformatting. I clicked format and then it goes back to not detecting the card.

So I tried formating again on my PC and put it back and tried formating on my SF this time it seemed to work ok showing 29.8 GB. Then I tried to copy over some files with the phone connected to my PC. It crashed after a few seconds and my SF said the SD card was damaged again and wouldn't detect it.

My computer has no problem finding the card but my SF just doesn't like it. It is a proper 32gb card not a fake. I know there are issues with andoid not being able to format 32gb cards but Ive tried formating it and it comes up as damaged. I am running 2.2 froyo alpha build.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by sikhcentral

Guest cobalt01

Have you tried putting it into you pc, right clicking the removable drive, click format and select Fat32? Otherwise might have to format it to a ext3 format which will only read in linux unless you install this or even try this. This will make Windows read ext2/ext3/ext4 filesystem's.

Edited by cobalt01

Guest sikhcentral
Have you tried putting it into you pc, right clicking the removable drive, click format and select Fat32? Otherwise might have to format it to a ext3 format which will only read in linux unless you install this or even try this. This will make Windows read ext2/ext3/ext4 filesystem's.

Yeah I tried formating in explorer as FAT32 but not ext3, I am trying to get ubuntu on a spare computer at the moment.

This might be where the problem lies.

ISTR someone else running a 32gb OK with a 2.1 rom (maybe even stock).

Should I try the FLB-Froyo G2 for ZTE Blade (Beta)? I am not sure if I will loose all my apps though it took me a while to get them all and install them. I am not having any issues with the alpha rom otherwise.

Guest El Nino9
Yeah I tried formating in explorer as FAT32 but not ext3, I am trying to get ubuntu on a spare computer at the moment.

Should I try the FLB-Froyo G2 for ZTE Blade (Beta)? I am not sure if I will loose all my apps though it took me a while to get them all and install them. I am not having any issues with the alpha rom otherwise.

i thought that ANDROID as a platform had issues with 16gb and 32gb cards? they are supported but sometimes they don't show up?

gingerbread is "rumoured" to try fix that.

anyways best bet is to try gparted. you can download a live cd for it (google it) and as you mentioned your trying to get a linux on a spare computer, ubuntu has it on its live cd too.

report back if you can with results please :rolleyes:

Change that 32gb to a 16gb one, then it will work (at least our "Chinese ZTE's here in Hungary supports only 16 GB maximum, at least that is what the manual says).

Edited by Hofy

Guest oh!dougal
Change that 32gb to a 16gb one, then it will work (at least our "Chinese ZTE's here in Hungary supports only 16 GB maximum, at least that is what the manual says).

Aaaaah, but according to page 125 of the Orange SF manual, its maximum supported size is said to be just 8gb ... B) (I don't believe that 8gb is the true maximum.)

Guest TheTwiddler
I have bought a new 32gb micro sd card and tried to get it to work in my SF unsucessfully.

When I first put it in my SF it wouldn't detect it and still say waiting for SD card.

So then downloaded the SD formater off sdcard.org tried that and put in back in my SF. Now it says my SD card is damaged and might need reformatting. I clicked format and then it goes back to not detecting the card.

So I tried formating again on my PC and put it back and tried formating on my SF this time it seemed to work ok showing 29.8 GB. Then I tried to copy over some files with the phone connected to my PC. It crashed after a few seconds and my SF said the SD card was damaged again and wouldn't detect it.

My computer has no problem finding the card but my SF just doesn't like it. It is a proper 32gb card not a fake. I know there are issues with andoid not being able to format 32gb cards but Ive tried formating it and it comes up as damaged. I am running 2.2 froyo alpha build.

Any help would be appreciated.

Your SD card can only be seen by one machine at a time. If it's plugged in to your PC and appears as a drive letter in Windows Explorer, then it can't be seen by your phone.

Guest cobalt01

a 32gb card should work in the device because orange state it does on thier website otherwise it's faulse advertising. Hopefully you'll get it working. Would imagine a Linux filesystem would be your best bet due to it's based on linux kernal's.

Edited by cobalt01

Guest dadashi
a 32gb card should work in the device because orange state it does on thier website otherwise it's faulse advertising. Hopefully you'll get it working. Would imagine a Linux filesystem would be your best bet due to it's based on linux kernal's.

From my experience with my 8GB, leave the card in the phone and mount with USB,

1- Format the card using SD formater

2- Make an Ext2 partition using "Partition wizard"

3- unmount B)

Guest sikhcentral
From my experience with my 8GB, leave the card in the phone and mount with USB,

1- Format the card using SD formater

2- Make an Ext2 partition using "Partition wizard"

3- unmount B)

I will try this method now :)

I have a fake 32gb card which mounts up ok showing 31.2 gb....

With this card in can't get my computer to recognise the phone....

Edited by sikhcentral

I will try this method now B)

I have a fake 32gb card which mounts up ok showing 31.2 gb....

With this card in can't get my computer to recognise the phone....

31.2 is absolutely normal ...

Guest sikhcentral
31.2 is absolutely normal ...

This card has been flashed to show up a different size, its actually 2gb.

But I can't get a proper 32gb card to work with the SF, I am going to try and reflash with a different rom just got loads of stuff to back up.

Guest sikhcentral

I just flashed my SF with the newer Froyo and it made no difference. I also went back to 2.1 and it made some difference in that the card would come up as damaged and could be reformatted to then show up but would not allow any more data on the card as it would go back as not being detected. B)

Guest nicksoph
I just flashed my SF with the newer Froyo and it made no difference. I also went back to 2.1 and it made some difference in that the card would come up as damaged and could be reformatted to then show up but would not allow any more data on the card as it would go back as not being detected. B)

I am basing this on some problems I had with a 16GB sony card on Froyo on Blade.

Get it recognized on your PC - I used a SD card reader - and format using Fat32 and block sizes of at least 16KB then slip it back into your phone - if this doesnt work try 32KB, then 64KB.

Do not use Ext partitions on this build, the apss2SD does not support them.

Guest oh!dougal

Noted that even the Japanese advert for their upcoming 2.2 version (with 5mp camera) is only claiming support for 16gb cards.

Has ANYONE had a 32gb working ? (with any rom?)

Guest sikhcentral
I am basing this on some problems I had with a 16GB sony card on Froyo on Blade.

Get it recognized on your PC - I used a SD card reader - and format using Fat32 and block sizes of at least 16KB then slip it back into your phone - if this doesnt work try 32KB, then 64KB.

Do not use Ext partitions on this build, the apss2SD does not support them.

I have no problems with the card in a nokia phone it shows up fine its just the SF. I have tried different cluster sizes to no avail. The furthest I can go is formatting the card with SD formatter and it showing up on the phone as damaged. After touching format card it just doesn't recognise it.

If anyone has got a 32gb sd card to work with their SF we need some details like brand and type of sd card plus rom version etc.

Guest nicksoph
I have no problems with the card in a nokia phone it shows up fine its just the SF. I have tried different cluster sizes to no avail. The furthest I can go is formatting the card with SD formatter and it showing up on the phone as damaged. After touching format card it just doesn't recognise it.

If anyone has got a 32gb sd card to work with their SF we need some details like brand and type of sd card plus rom version etc.

sd formatter didnt work for me - on the 16gb card in the blade froyo build

16gb sony class 4 formatted in 64kb clusters - speed test reports gretaer than class 6 speeds, when formatted in 32KB reports class 6 speeds

Edited by nicksoph

Guest whoop_whoop

Argh just ordered one from eBay, phone doesn't arrive until Thursady. Hopefully it works ... Anyone tried partitioning the drive into 4 x 8Gb or smaller to see if that works? What file format does the standard 2Gb card come with?

Guest sikhcentral

You got to be careful with ebay they are full of scammers, I won two 32gb kingston cards and never received them rang up the guy he said he wasnt that guy and ebay protection doesn't work as they guy isnt registered anymore.

The standard card is fat32, I can't figure out why it wont detect the 32gb card as I tried it in multiple computers and phones and it works flawlessly. It just doesn't work in the SF, there must be a problem with the software or hardware possibly something deeper than the rom such as kernals etc.

Guest JolyonS

Reading around this seems to be a fairly frequent Android issue.

I'm currently having problems with a 16GB class 4 card - fine in a PC, fine in a Nokia phone (this neeeds further testing but no problems so far) but flaky as an overcooked baklava in my SF (F:B Froyo beta).

It's fine when the phone boots up but as soon as something tries to access the card (Titanium Backup for example) it unmounts, reports itself as unexpectedly remove, goes into a cycle of ounting and unmounting or any other set of weirdness.

Return to the supplied 2GB card and all is well.

Guest oh!dougal

16gb card works fine.

But I really don't think 32gb works in the SF. Its not unusual to have limitations on storage device maximum supported sizes.

Might be an idea to contact Orange if they had possibly misguided you into believing that 32gb was supported ...