Prevent apps from starting at boot?

Guest worcester4x4

Guest worcester4x4

I just went into Taskiller to stop an app and saw that there are about 120 apps in the Running Tasks list! On my G2 there were only ever a dozen or so at worst.

Some tasks are duplicated and appear, from Taskiller's point of view to be running multiple instances. In most cases, clicking Kill takes me to the running processes screen and stopping the task simply results in it restarting almost immediately.

I then looked into Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Running and, yes, plenty of running processes. Click into an app to see further details and scroll to the bottom of the info screen and there's a "show All / Hide" button, click Show All and, without fail, all the apps are showing the ability to start on boot with no option to change this. These are things such as Gowalla, Foursquare, etc. There doesn't appear to be anything in the app settings relating to start on boot.

This never was the case in any of the ROMs that I ran on my G2.

How can I a) kill these "unkillable" apps? and b ) stop them from automatically starting on boot?

Edited by worcester4x4

Guest johnboyw
I just went into Taskiller to stop an app and saw that there are about 120 apps in the Running Tasks list! On my G2 there were only ever a dozen or so at worst.

Some tasks are duplicated and appear, from Taskiller's point of view to be running multiple instances. In most cases, clicking Kill takes me to the running processes screen and stopping the task simply results in it restarting almost immediately.

I then looked into Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Running and, yes, plenty of running processes. Click into an app to see further details and scroll to the bottom of the info screen and there's a "show All / Hide" button, click Show All and, without fail, all the apps are showing the ability to start on boot with no option to change this. These are things such as Gowalla, Foursquare, etc. There doesn't appear to be anything in the app settings relating to start on boot.

This never was the case in any of the ROMs that I ran on my G2.

How can I a) kill these "unkillable" apps? and b ) stop them from automatically starting on boot?

I could do with help on this too as i have 36 apps running after a reboot?

Guest mwright
Download:

http://www.androlib.com/android.applicatio...tarts-jppi.aspx

This allows you to see what applications start on system startup or other different triggers. And then you disable them or uninstall them.

Hmm - I downloaded this but I don't think it is working properly.

I took a look through the triggers to see what runs and get weird things like:-

Storage Low run IMDB

SMS Received run Asphalt 5 (racing game)

Is it just me?

Regards

Mike

Guest mohit1234
Hmm - I downloaded this but I don't think it is working properly.

I took a look through the triggers to see what runs and get weird things like:-

Storage Low run IMDB

SMS Received run Asphalt 5 (racing game)

Is it just me?

Regards

Mike

lol

i dont think its only u

im also getting this :P

but in sms recieved im getting assassins creed and sandstorm also :D

however ive disabled them, no use starting a game when u get an sms :D

Guest mwright

Hmm - before I go fiddling with this I would like to understand what is going on here!

What are these trigger settings saying

1. If the app is running when the trigger arrives - send the app the trigger or
  2. Make the app run when the trigger arrives and then send the app the trigger.

I think the difference is critical because if the answer is "b" than this would indeed cause many apps to be running for no apparent reason. However, if the answer is "a" then it does not really matter what triggers are set does it?

Of course, it might depend upon what the trigger is?

Perhaps someone in the know can explain this please?

Regards

Mike

Edited by mwright

Guest psych0t1c

I can and will not elaborate on the questions, as I did not write the program. I have also not delved too far into the entire thing, I have just disabled a handfull apps of apps that used to start during or after system startup.

However there is a bit of explanation by the author available when you press Menu and About, and it suggest )the way I read it) that indeed the app is CALLED (read: started) when a trigger happens. Whatever it does then with that info from the trigger is beyond me, the Autostart author etc.

If your games hook into a trigger called "SMS received" (I do not even have that trigger listed) I would contact the games author and inquire why the badword he thinks his game has any relevance to the SMS you receive and what exactly it does with this information.