[ROM] [eclair] Hungarian Hedgehog RLS2 [2010-11-26]

Guest kallt_kaffe

Guest kallt_kaffe

About RELEASE

This is a custom ROM based on the hungarian ZTE Blade ROM which is bit more recent than the Orange ROM and also more recent than the french blade ROM.

RLS2

• Custom kernel once again in the main archive. Now with new touchscreen driver and support for LCD panels. Also added some PPP options that someone needed for VPN.
  • Replaced one font with a version that supports IPhone special characters
  • Might have fixed the wifi issue, works fine for me so far (or maybe not... B) )
  • Removed 2.5Mb of symbols from the wifi kernel module (should save some RAM when using wifi)
  • Some "under the hood" tidying up in init.rc
  • Updated Taskiller Free and Titanium backup.
  • Removed the "Blade Wifi fix" app as it should hopefully not be needed anymore.
  • Replaced the boring gray wallpaper with the blue sky one that the french ROM used as default wallpaper.
    • Made original kernel the default (no EXT3, swap etc...)
    • Fixed Apps2SD problem
    • Removed overclocking (kills 3D performance)
      • Fixed battery temperature report (was wrong in French Fries RLS5 kernel)
      • Swap support enabled
      • Swap notify support added (improves compcache)
      • Fixed powerbutton mapping in kernel (and restored original keylayout within Android)
      • Added support for EXT3 (for better/safer Apps2SD)
      • Support for overclocking (available as addons)
        • Based on the TM_P729TV1.0.0B02 ROM
        • Added Titanium backup
        • Added GPS Test
        • Added Adfree Android
        • Added Where's My Droid
        • Added Spare parts
        • Added Taskiller Free
        • Added Blade Wifi fix
        • Added compcache module and a script to enable compcache (type "compcache.sh enable" in a terminal)
        • Restored standard Android menu colors
        • Removed XT9IME (FC's on a lot of languages)
        • Replaced bootlogo and bootanimation
        • Replaced/Updated Google Maps with latest version
        • Updated Street View
        • Updated Market
        • Added VoiceSearch
        • Added Car Dock
        • Added Google Voice
        • Added Google Gesture Search
        • Added Google Goggles
        • Added Facebook
        • Added Twitter
        • Added HTC_IME by jonasl
        • Added Flash lite support (can run .swf files)
        • Added Home Switcher
        • Added Launcher Pro
        • Added Weather Widget (yr.no) app (latest version that had flipclock)
        • Rooted with latest Super User permissions app
        • Added busybox
        • Added bash
        • Added Darktremor Apps2SD (SD-card parititioning in Clockwork recovery is broken so use another phone to partition or gparted or similar)
        • Changed dalvik vm heapsize from 24 to 32
        • Added tun.ko for OpenVPN users
        • Hardware accellerated UI as an addon
        • Added GenieWidget (News & Weather)
        • Added Terminal Emulator
        • Added huge APN list from CM6
          • Hardware accellerated UI
          • Orange Games - Games from the original Orange ROM
          • Brut maps - Replaces Google Maps with modified version (brut17). Adds international navigation and more.

Downloads

[*]Hungarian_Hedgehog_RLS2.zip - To be used with Clockwork recovery.

[*]Hungarian_Hedgehog_RLS2_addons.rar - Optional addons.

Installation

[*]Install Clockwork Recovery

[*]Copy zip files (ROM and optionally some addons) to SD-card.

[*]Boot into recovery and install (volume down + power on)

[*]Wipe data/cache unless you are reinstalling

Why so bloated? Could you remove X and Y in the next release?

Instead of making a "lite" version I will here explain how to remove unwanted apps before installing.

[*]Open Hungarian_Hedgehog_RLS2.zip in WinZip, WinRAR, 7-zip or similar.

[*]Navigate to /system/app

[*]Delete unwanted apps

[*](optionally) Resign the zip file. See this guide.

[*]Install (if you didn't sign it you will need to turn off signature checking in Clockwork Recovery)

Known issues

[*]Sync is disabled by default. Needs to be enabled manually

Edited by kallt_kaffe

Guest kallt_kaffe

Overclocking addons (added 2010-11-27)

• Download: Hungarian_Hedgehog_RLS2_overclocking_addons.rar
  • IMPORTANT NOTE: Overclocking will have a negative effect on 3D performance.
  • If you're phone freezes and/or experience random reboots, try a lower clock speed. A good starting point would be 691.2MHz or 710.4Mhz.

Edited by kallt_kaffe

thanks very much for this! going to install in a few minutes. before i do, i have a few questions: where do i set what size the swap file should be? and how do i make the filesystem of my sd card ext3 by default? i know both options are available in clockwork recovery, but that aspect is broken.

Guest kallt_kaffe
thanks very much for this! going to install in a few minutes. before i do, i have a few questions: where do i set what size the swap file should be? and how do i make the filesystem of my sd card ext3 by default? i know both options are available in clockwork recovery, but that aspect is broken.
Unless you have a 256Mb model I don't think there is any need for a swap but for compcache the size is hardcoded in /system/bin/userinit.sh and you could change it before flashing if you want to. Just make sure you use an editor that handles unix line-breaks.

As for swap-partition size... dunno, not using it myself but my previous experience with my low-memory phone (Huawei u8100) is that it seldom used more than 32Mb and anything more than 64Mb would be a complete waste of space.

To partition my SD-card and convert it to EXT3 I used Amon RA recovery image in my other phone (Huawei U8100) but I suppose a live ubuntu CD with gparted might do the trick aswell. I'm sure there must be plenty of guides for this on the net?

Guest kallt_kaffe
Admit it - most of the time you spent on this was getting the hedgehog boot screen done!

Google image search is teh s***! Invert, copy, paste, convert to correct format (which strangely enough includes mirroring it horizontally) and rebuild the ramdisk (which I had to do anyway since I've tweaked init.rc and default.prop).

To be honest the most time was spent modifying the framework and default settings and also compling kernels for each overclocking level.

Guest kallt_kaffe
Any issues with this that you can see Kallt?

Good old wifi issue (but blade wifi fix app is included) and automatic sync is disabled by default (just have to enable it manually)

I just releasized I haven't tried any of the addons yet myself... oh well... time to overclock. B)

Edited by kallt_kaffe

Unless you have a 256Mb model I don't think there is any need for a swap but for compcache the size is hardcoded in /system/bin/userinit.sh and you could change it before flashing if you want to. Just make sure you use an editor that handles unix line-breaks.

As for swap-partition size... dunno, not using it myself but my previous experience with my low-memory phone (Huawei u8100) is that it seldom used more than 32Mb and anything more than 64Mb would be a complete waste of space.

To partition my SD-card and convert it to EXT3 I used Amon RA recovery image in my other phone (Huawei U8100) but I suppose a live ubuntu CD with gparted might do the trick aswell. I'm sure there must be plenty of guides for this on the net?

thanks for the info, much appreciated! d'oh! once again i've forgotten about gparted - thanks for the reminder!

Glad I don't need the SF for normal use B) .

Thanks, kallt_kaffe. Gonna try this baby today!

I need my SF for normal use, but I still end up trying out new roms/kernel's almost daily lol.

Guest Flumpster

"If you are already working on this any estimation on release and how much work involved or is it just applying same fixes you did on french one ?"

Bloody hell that was quick... I only asked 2 hours ago B)

Time for another wipe and reinstall.... cheers m8

Guest kallt_kaffe
I have the Modaco r4 ROM & VillainROM apps2sd. Would I just flash the Hungarian ROM straight over the top of my existing ROM?

Thanks

No, you'll need to wipe to avoid problems.

Guest Afrodude

Just installed this, it seems A2SD isn't working (doesn't seem to be mounting the ext2 partition). Might want to switch the version that is used in the Modaco ROM. (I'll have a play and see if i can get things working).

Also every bootup results in the message: "SD Card is already Mounted" (does that in the VillainROM aswell).

Good work otherwise B)

yup, it doesn't matter if you have an ext2 or 3 partition, a2sd 'finds' it, but says it's not mounted. just to confirm. also, a2sd reinstall doesn't solve the issue.

Guest buntoid

Installed this and Titanium Backup tells me I haven't got root even though it asks superuser for permission.

Downloaded the newer busybox, but still no good.

Phone has got very sluggish and auto rebooted twice.

I'm going back to French Fries RLS5 to wait for a better release.

Guest agressor12

Ez a Rom rossz, a szinek mások benne és a kijelző kikapcsol és nem kapcsol vissza .az a hibája mint a többi SF-es ROM-nak!

This Rom is bad, the colors and others are included in the display is switched off and not turn back.'s Fault than the other SF-es-ROM's!

Guest csendlor
Ez a Rom rossz, a szinek mások benne és a kijelző kikapcsol és nem kapcsol vissza .az a hibája mint a többi SF-es ROM-nak!

This Rom is bad, the colors and others are included in the display is switched off and not turn back.'s Fault than the other SF-es-ROM's!

Nálam is ez a helyzet. A kijelző visszakapcsolása szerintem itt bukik meg:

• Fixed powerbutton mapping in kernel (and restored original keylayout within Android)

A színekre nem tudom a megoldást.

Same situation by me. I think the issue with waking the screen is caused by this:

Simply the wake/power button was remapped and not working anymore on our phones.

I have no clues for the color problems.

Guest kallt_kaffe
Same situation by me. I think the issue with waking the screen is caused by this:

Simply the wake/power button was remapped and not working anymore on our phones.

I have no clues for the color problems.

Try the original_kernel addon. It restores the original kernel from the Hungarian release. That will likely fix your problems.

Kallt, found a huge bug with the overclocking. UI is slower, Neocore scores are a lot lower. I think the overclocking might be killing part of EGL. Try it out for yourself, it's the same no matter what overclocking kernel of yours you use.

Guest kallt_kaffe
Just installed this, it seems A2SD isn't working (doesn't seem to be mounting the ext2 partition). Might want to switch the version that is used in the Modaco ROM. (I'll have a play and see if i can get things working).

Apps2SD fix in first post. Try it and let me know if it works (or not)

Guest kallt_kaffe
Kallt, found a huge bug with the overclocking. UI is slower, Neocore scores are a lot lower. I think the overclocking might be killing part of EGL. Try it out for yourself, it's the same no matter what overclocking kernel of yours you use.

I've started to suspect that aswell. Linpack and other CPU intensive benchmarks get better scores with overclocking but quadrant is the same or even lower so I've been starting to suspect that 3D performance was taking a hit. This is wasn't an issue at all on my other phone (Huawei U8100) as it didn't have hardware accelerated 3D.

So unless you really need pure CPU performance overclocking seems like a bad idea.