In my hands - Archos 101

Guest Unguided

Guest Unguided

I couldn't resist, still no Vega's in store at Currys however both 7" and 10" Archos units were on display. Played with both, 7" was really nice but I was after the bigger screen. Hopefully the instore unit was just a demo model it did appear to be suffering some touch screen issues but I still went ahead and from what I can tell got the last one in stock.

http://gallery.me.com/unguided/100014/Archos%20101

I'll attempt to do an unboxing and first power on video shortly

Guest Unguided
I couldn't resist, still no Vega's in store at Currys however both 7" and 10" Archos units were on display. Played with both, 7" was really nice but I was after the bigger screen. Hopefully the instore unit was just a demo model it did appear to be suffering some touch screen issues but I still went ahead and from what I can tell got the last one in stock.

Unboxing and first power on video

No sound + a brief break in the video during the app install section due to parental interuptions B)

Initial impressions are much better than what I though from the store try out, was getting the screen issues as well, but it appears that the screen may not come fully calibrated. Quick visit to the Repair section in the Settings and a quick screen recalibration and the screen is working nicely.

There are times I feel like I'm going to break the thing it really is that thin for the weight savings,.

Viewing angles are ok, I suspect they are the same as the other cheaper Android tablets coming out

Guest Paulo Nobrega

Nice. Hoping for a little more of your experience with it.

I dont see many options on 10' and had hopes that archos could be a good choice, for the price. And of course, probably a larger community to "hack" this archos than for the oem ones, since archos could have more ppl using it...

Guest Amdathlonuk
No it ships with 2.1, Archos are meant to be releasing a 2.2 update "soon"

This probably miffed me more than anythin else when I got my 101.

How can they advertise it is 2.2 and my invoice stated Archos 101 2.2 Tablet.

Pure and blatant misleading.

Not entirely legal.

Anyway, I'll be interested in your opinion, I couldn't get rid of mine quick enough B)

Guest Unguided

Well we'll see how it handles it's first full day of use on a full charge plus the abuse it will take from work colleagues today.

Certainly has it's advantages over the iPad, especially being able to just copy a 720p mkv video to it and watch straight away. Sound quality isn't too bad either, played the same iTunes m4a file on both devices and was pushed to really hear any difference.

Well I'm sure 2.2 will hopefully hit it's November release date, given the improvements 2.2 brings this device will feel very snappy.

Guest Carbonize

Yup eagerly awaiting for 2.2 on my Archos 70. I did originally think it came with 2.2 but when I saw it had no Flash I checked the build and then checked the website again rather than just get stroppy and get rid of it like certain other people.

Have to say it's very light and thin. Speakers are excellent and it has plenty of volume from them.

Yup eagerly awaiting for 2.2 on my Archos 70. I did originally think it came with 2.2 but when I saw it had no Flash I checked the build and then checked the website again rather than just get stroppy and get rid of it like certain other people.

Have to say it's very light and thin. Speakers are excellent and it has plenty of volume from them.

Can you try www.m.tvcatchup.com to see if the channels play? Or do you get a media server error. Thanks

Guest Carbonize

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's what I got when I was testing the other day. The 2.2 update will thankfully bring Flash support but also support for the HTML5 <video> tag. Weird how it has a codec for damn near everything and yet can't play a stream designed for mobile devices and that most Androids handle. I wonder if it's got something to do with the browser not identifying it as a mobile device.

Guest Carbonize

Well they have said the update will be with us in November so can't be long now. Wonder if we can expect a 2.3 update at some point. Also wondering how long until we start to see tablet only apps on market place.

Guest martin1718

Any video yet?

Awaiting the long delivery of mine!

Can you post a list of Apps that are on the unit when you click on Archos AppsLib?

thanks and hope you are enjoying,

martin

Guest martin1718
Already answered you here. Please do not ask the same question multiple times.

Really sorry but have searched the link and cannot find the list -please excuse my ignorance and direct me to the location of the list of Archos AppsLib list.

many thanks for your help,

martin