Newbie need help with HTC HD2

Guest splinters69

Guest splinters69

I just bought a HTC HD2 on T-mobile but I was able to put my Virgin sim in it without unlocking. I hear a lot about the potential of this device and wanted some advice on what best to do with it.

I like my daughter's Orange San Fran and Android but I have been unable to get it to install (I suspect my radio version is wrong). Looking through the forum is very confusing as there are many roms, radio version etc.

Don't want to brick it but would appreciate a 'cleaner' rom void of any T-mobile branding if possible. I also seem to have a pretty old Rom compared to 3.14 but it is the only one I can get from T-Mobile.

The software info is:

OS version

5.2.21889 (21889.5.0.87)

Manilla version

ROM version

1.72.110.4 (86525) WWE

ROM date

04/02/10

Radio version

2.07.51.22_2

Protocol version

15.32.50.07U

Please don't suggest I search the forums as I did that and I am confused by radio version, rom etc. but would appreciate any advice you can give.

Guest splinters69
Do you want to run Windows Mobile on it, or Android?

Not sure to be honest. I don't like the windows setting (interface?) on the device and like the HTC sense UI better but it drains the battery especially with the live weather etc.

I like the look and feel of android but don't want the phone running any slower or becoming unreliable. If there is a windows interface that is better than the 6.5 I have then that is OK with me too. Is win 7 possible yet?

I thought Android was a dual boot as opposed to replacing the win OS? I tried doing this last night and it just stuck at 'jumping to kernel' (something like that anyway).

Would like to have the option of messing with a few different roms (especially clean ones with more battery life but stable).

What would you suggest?

Guest philly-d

I almost always use a stock ROM (currently using 3.14.405.2) but now rarely use Windows Mobile, preferring to use Android.

I'm on T-Mobile too but used Hard SPL so I can flash other ROMs.

At some point I changed the radio, but not sure if the new ROM changed the Radio at the same time.

Other than that I've just stuck to a stock looking "Android with sense ROM" and recently upgraded the kernel which helped with stability and functionality.

There's a lot of helpful stuff here XDA Developers

Guest splinters69
I almost always use a stock ROM (currently using 3.14.405.2) but now rarely use Windows Mobile, preferring to use Android.

I'm on T-Mobile too but used Hard SPL so I can flash other ROMs.

At some point I changed the radio, but not sure if the new ROM changed the Radio at the same time.

Other than that I've just stuck to a stock looking "Android with sense ROM" and recently upgraded the kernel which helped with stability and functionality.

There's a lot of helpful stuff here XDA Developers

Cheers I will look into it. Is there any way of getting the WM update (6.5.3?) without using a cooked rom...or any idea when T-Mobile will actually update the rom to 3.14?

Guest philly-d
Cheers I will look into it. Is there any way of getting the WM update (6.5.3?) without using a cooked rom...or any idea when T-Mobile will actually update the rom to 3.14?

It's hard to guess when T-Mob would make a newer ROM available so I use the newest official HTC ones from their website. They are free of T-Mob customisation too, and technically not cooked as they come from HTC B)

Guest splinters69
It's hard to guess when T-Mob would make a newer ROM available so I use the newest official HTC ones from their website. They are free of T-Mob customisation too, and technically not cooked as they come from HTC B)

That sounds like just what I need; improved features and no T-Mobile stuff. However, putting in my serial on the HTC site just gives me the latest Rom I got (1.72?). How do I download and install the latest generic rom?

Looking at hardSPL it talks about needing a certain SPL on your phone...no idea what that is.

However, as I said, this sounds like my kind of rom especially if it makes the phone a bit quicker and more reliable. Any tips on how to get it on to my handset?

CHeers in advance for any and all help.

Guest splinters69
That sounds like just what I need; improved features and no T-Mobile stuff. However, putting in my serial on the HTC site just gives me the latest Rom I got (1.72?). How do I download and install the latest generic rom?

Looking at hardSPL it talks about needing a certain SPL on your phone...no idea what that is.

However, as I said, this sounds like my kind of rom especially if it makes the phone a bit quicker and more reliable. Any tips on how to get it on to my handset?

CHeers in advance for any and all help.

Well I flashed with latest rom and it all runs much better, tried an Android UI as well. Love it but the HTC is getting quite hot and CPU seems to be quite high (400-900 fluctuating) just browsing the menus.

I guess Android just runs 'on top' of wM6.5?

Guest philly-d
Well I flashed with latest rom and it all runs much better, tried an Android UI as well. Love it but the HTC is getting quite hot and CPU seems to be quite high (400-900 fluctuating) just browsing the menus.

I guess Android just runs 'on top' of wM6.5?

My understanding is it shuts down WM 6.5 to run Android, but there seems to be a case for using a stripped down rom, then running Android.

Apart from being hot, is it quite stable? I think once it's stable (no freezes or battery pulls required) it's just of case of tweeking the best battery life out of it