Now... do I keep it...

...that is the question!

It's a pretty interesting device, but with a Galaxy Tab and a Vega on the way, I probably should return it!

Regardless of what I do, i'll make sure I leave behind all the resources i've created for other devs to use!

P

Guest steviesteve
...that is the question!

It's a pretty interesting device, but with a Galaxy Tab and a Vega on the way, I probably should return it!

Regardless of what I do, i'll make sure I leave behind all the resources i've created for other devs to use!

P

I say its a keeper. Its no secret that Im a big fan of this device but I honestly prefer the size/weight when compared to the tab or ipad.

Thanks for the effort made today, will I be able to remove the crappy launcher with your ROM?

Guest FatherD
How well does it do, playing avi videos with rockplayer?

Thanks

Not sure about the rockplayer, but the default video player plays mp4 encoded at quite high bit rates without any problems, I haven't checked all rates/sizes, but a 700mb avi movie rip looks awesome B)

Guest HugoQueiriga
Not sure about the rockplayer, but the default video player plays mp4 encoded at quite high bit rates without any problems, I haven't checked all rates/sizes, but a 700mb avi movie rip looks awesome B)

Divx / xvid movie rips?

Guest FatherD
Pretty much decided to send mine back I think...

P

Sad to hear that Paul, would loved to see further developments of your first rom but I quite understand. This is a basic device, I will certainly upgrade when something comes out that has high specs, good battery life and 3g .. all on a 7" package.

Guest Carbonize
Sad to hear that Paul, would loved to see further developments of your first rom but I quite understand. This is a basic device, I will certainly upgrade when something comes out that has high specs, good battery life and 3g .. all on a 7" package.

Samsung Tab?

Guest Carbonize

yes but I was taking to FatherD B)

Would be nice to see you take apart a Archos 70/101's rom and see what could be done with it. Archo shas obviously done a lot of modifying for the uPNP and all the additional codecs.

Guest FatherD
Samsung Tab?

hmmm .. no! I really dont like the size of the Tab, or the price! it is an excellent device but it just doesn't appeal to me B)

The Archos 70 .... I would l love once of those if they had squeezed a 3g card in there without hiking the price! ... never gonna happen.

Edited by FatherD

Guest Carbonize
The Archos 70 .... I would l love once of those if they had squeezed a 3g card in there without hiking the price! ... never gonna happen.

No but it does have tethering ability built in so you can use your phone. I just need to figure out how to get it to work through my GT540 (which is a pile of faecal matter).

Guest FatherD
Just arranged the return... :P

P

Hi Paul, can I assume that you will not be putting out any updates to the rom or recovery!?

Even so, I am working on a framework mod shortly :D

Guest Carbonize
Does that mean you prefer the advent to the commtiva, and would you recommend the advent over the commtiva?

I would. I mean right now you might look at it and be thinking, "I only need a tablet for reading ebooks, listening to music and surfing the web". But somewhere down the line you are probably going to start to want to watch movies on it or play games or view full screen Flash videos. I was originally looking at a cheapo £80 from Toys R Us but realised that in the future I would want more than just reading books.

Another big question to ask yourself though is do you want 3G and GPS? At present the Samsung Tab seems to be the only tablet that ticks all the boxes of being powerful and having GPS/3G but is it worth the money ?

Well, they're different - 3G and GPS is certainly nice in the Commtiva, but what with having a Tab too it didn't make sense for me personally.

If a Tab is too expensive and you need 3G / GPS, the Commtiva is pretty decent.

P

Hi Paul, can I assume that you will not be putting out any updates to the rom or recovery!?

Even so, I am working on a framework mod shortly :P

I'm afraid so... hopefully someone can continue my work, i'll also make my recovery vendor files available shortly.

P

Guest FatherD
......Another big question to ask yourself though is do you want 3G and GPS? At present the Samsung Tab seems to be the only tablet that ticks all the boxes of being powerful and having GPS/3G but is it worth the money ?

Every time I pick up the Samsung (while surfing around the shops!) I think "If only it was packaged a little smaller, like the Commtiva, if only it was a little less plasticy! if only it cost £100 less .. I would bag one without question" , Every time I turn to the Commtiva I think "If only it had the Samsung's CPU" ... of course that one question spawns many others, but with RockPlayer video works fine and everything else I do with it is acceptable ... until something comes out packaged as neatly as the Commtiva, with specs beyond the Samsung, such as dual-core, more ram, dedicated app storage and all the other boxes ticked for around or a little under the price of the Samsung :P ... and fatherd wakes from a dream and rubs his eyes!

Guest FatherD
I'm afraid so... hopefully someone can continue my work, i'll also make my recovery vendor files available shortly.

P

No problem ... thanks for your excellent work as always :P