Got your Vega? Share your thoughts!

Guest PaulOBrien

Is there a virus checker for files downloaded directly to the vega?

There are Viruses? LoL

I worry not about things like that until there is real evidence of such things happening... :-D

Guest amarko5
Sorry to be daft. Got the APK from getjar now where do I copy it to on the vega?

onto the micro sd card then use the file manager, or indeed visit the mobile version of getjar site and download from your vega

Guest daniel.weck
Is there a virus checker for files downloaded directly to the vega?

Viruses are not an issue on Android OS. However you want to be on the lookout for dodgy permissions, with applications that shouldn't be (for example) reading your contact list / phone numbers, modifying system parameters, keeping alive / starting at boot time...etc. It takes a bit of practice but to be honest most applications tend to "steel" personal data for advertising purposes, so it is very hard to make the difference between malicious fishing apps and legit ones...that's why it's worth spending time reading reviews/comments, and judging apps based on the reputation of the vendor also helps.

Guest Bisto321
I've just sat and watched Eastenders via iplayer and it ran very smooth, not crystal clear but very watch-able.

its broken send it back. Eastenders filter is not working, major hardware fault B)

Guest griff_dai
Couldnt get tweetdect to install but running Tweetcaster ok, dont get audio alerts but it gives status bar alert. Also tried Facebook for android, same as tweetcaster - no notifications but runs fine B)

Going to try some IM apps later on, see if I can fine one that i'm happy with.

At the moment I'm very pleased with the amount of apps that are installing and running with hardly any faults, I really wasn't expecting this.

I've just sat and watched Eastenders via iplayer and it ran very smooth, not crystal clear but very watch-able.

Any chance you can do a few more Vid's as were dying to see some of the stuff you have added working on it!

Cheers

Dave

Guest andrewg12345

Advent Vega Videos

If / when anyone uploads videos, could you place ADVENT VEGA in the title please.

Not quite a "works straight of the box" experience, but given this is effectivley generation one of the android tablet age not a bad start, and sounds like a few guys here know how to get the best out of them.

Look forward to getting one soon (just missed out today)

Guest friedgoldmole

Thinking of picking one of these up if/when they come into my local pc world for long enough for me to try one. Interested mainly in the flash support. I love my htc desire but I find that flash playback while pretty smooth is often out of sync, and seeking through episodes on iplayer is sure to put the video out of sync with the sound.

I had the same experience with the Galaxy Tab which is what put me off it when trying it in the shop. I am really looking forward to replacing my ps3, as it is currently my way of watching bbc iplayer on the tv. Is the vega powerful to run the full flash version of iplayer, i.e. using Dolphin Browser and using the desktop site.

Can it playback HD Flash on iplayer? How is it with 4OD? And is the HDMI output working?

Guest 5c00ter

For those who are non-windows users, Virtualbox with WinXP doesn't seem to work with getting the 1.02 update installed. Guest OS (WinXP) won't pickup the USB device (Vega) despite any attempt to expose it through the device management screens in VB.

So really after anyone with experience with getting this update applied through Linux/Ubuntu ... any help would be appreciated.

Guest JennieS

My wi-fi switches to 'not in range' after a while, even when I am standing next to the modem.

After I connect to the net, I stop broadcasting the network name, and the vega still uses the connection.

The network name is always on the vega too, but it keeps losing range.

Any ideas please?

Edited by JennieS

Guest debs626
A lot of work has been done over on the XDA forums to get the Viewsonic G Tablet to a usable state. They have full market working, flash, and also addressed a number of bugs that VS haven't fixed. As both share the Tegra2 hardware it could be useful for any bugs you guys come across.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=841

Will head over and have a brows later

@AdventVega are offering lots of support via twitter atm which is very nice to see.

Guest Salieri
Thinking of picking one of these up if/when they come into my local pc world for long enough for me to try one. Interested mainly in the flash support. I love my htc desire but I find that flash playback while pretty smooth is often out of sync, and seeking through episodes on iplayer is sure to put the video out of sync with the sound.

A bit off topic, but I've found installing any of the Flash updates from the Market cause my Desire to be out of sync on iPlayer and other Flash players. The version that is stock with Froyo handles video far better.

On topic, the Vega looks like a good purchase once the hackers get to grips with it. By the time Honeycomb comes around it may have even dropped from its already good value pricepoint.

Edited by Salieri

Guest TylerDurdenK

My effort at and Unboxing Video.

and a link to quick look video will follow, below.

Very sorry about the poor quality of these videos, especially the out of focus "quick look", but it should give you an idea of the responsiveness of the Vega, at least.

It might take a little while before they are viewable, as they are still processing.

Edited by TylerDurdenK

Hello, I'm new to the site, have been reading it for ages and thought it time I joined, ordered the vega today and found this tread very useful, I was looking on YouTube for it too, not much on there as yet but what I did come across was another android tablet called the tegra250 piano, or something like that, looks good but what I was interested in is around the 3.15 mark into the video, a launcher called 3D launcher, looks cool, has anybody ever seen it or know where to get it ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6b-QvbeEqU...be_gdata_player

Guest daniel.weck

I did come across was another android tablet called the tegra250 piano,

B)

WSL is the Japanese firm that designs and manufactures the P10AN01 tablet hardware.

The Advent Vega is a re-branded version of this OEM product, with a different Android "skin", so to speak.

http://www.wsl-japan.com/

Guest daniel.weck
Interested mainly in the flash support. I love my htc desire but I find that flash playback while pretty smooth is often out of sync, and seeking through episodes on iplayer is sure to put the video out of sync with the sound.

I had the same experience with the Galaxy Tab which is what put me off it when trying it in the shop.

BBC iPlayer tends to suck, even on my laptop. I use myPlayer on my Android tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab). Works fine.

Guest john newhouse

have i got a dodgy Vega?

i got mine today, yeah.

unboxed, turned on and went through initial setup.

i noticed that the screen did not seem to be registering where i was pressing, so i actually ended up setting it up with a foreign language and had to revert to my galaxy s to tell me what option in settings i needed to set it to uk.

i managed to connect to my wi-fi after a few attempts at getting the password in correctly,

the screen was a little annoying to start with, but its getting worse and worse. i seemed to have dead zones on my screen, so i couldn't click on either the back button or the home button. i could rotate into portrait mode and i can sometimes use them (which is odd as in portrait mode the home button is where the back button was in landscape!).

also normal pressing anywhere seems to be very hit and miss. swipe is horrendous (it once took more than 20 attempts to move the unlock slider to the correct location so i could actually use it).

i managed to install the 1.02 firmware and then the 1.03 update to see if that would rectify it. it did not.

i now cant get my password in for my wifi (the update to 1.02 wiped it) as the mapping is well out and i am trying to press the uppercase button and i get 'aa'.

i have scrubbed my hands, and wiped the screen with the cloth i got with my new glasses and nothing is improving things.

do you think i am somehow doing something wrong, or does this sound more mechanical?

i cant believe that this is the situation on your Vega's as it would certainly have been mentioned

B)

WSL is the Japanese firm that designs and manufactures the P10AN01 tablet hardware.

The Advent Vega is a re-branded version of this OEM product, with a different Android "skin", so to speak.

http://www.wsl-japan.com/

I think you may have missed my point, I was asking about the 3D launcher featured on the video around the 3.15 min mark, looks cool, not seen it before and its not on the market, wonder if anybody has seen it or know where to get it ?

Guest terminaljunkie
Hello, I'm new to the site, have been reading it for ages and thought it time I joined, ordered the vega today and found this tread very useful, I was looking on YouTube for it too, not much on there as yet but what I did come across was another android tablet called the tegra250 piano, or something like that, looks good but what I was interested in is around the 3.15 mark into the video, a launcher called 3D launcher, looks cool, has anybody ever seen it or know where to get it ?

Expansys are selling a clone as well, at a higher cost of course!

http://www.expansys.com/expansys-mobii-10-ich-tablet-204651/

Edited by terminaljunkie