Got your Vega? Share your thoughts!

Guest PaulOBrien

But the question for me is still: "Archos 101 or Advent Vega?"

Has anyone used both?

Someone in the other forum is saying he got his today but no flash... That makes it a deal breaker for me... going to wait for more stock.

Guest terdbin
Hmm, SD Card is Fat32 formatted so I'm struggling to fins a file small enough.

You could try formatting the card as ext3, easily done from linux, i think can be done in windows too

Think 'us' galaxy tab users are spoiled with our screen - it is pretty darn good.

When I had my folio it was comparable (almost) to my ACER netbook screen, but because the tablet is not fixed to a keyboard and constantly viewed at the same angle it can be a bit distracting.

The folio was terrible in portrait mode, what is the advent like?

The folio screen looked very much like one of those lenticular images (turn it left and right to see another image) you get in a cereal box in portrait - hurt my eyes.

I understand that some of you are pleased that Advent are on the case fixing these small software issues and it does show that they are watching, but is it really good enough to launch with widget errors and no market?

Google doesnt officially support android on their tablets. Google wants CromeOS on their tablets not Android.

Thats why tablets without a sim slot wont get Market Place. because its not a phone.

I dont know why people are expecting this when its plastered all over the net.

The Galaxy was an exception as Samsung are part of the Open handset alliance, and also the Galaxy Tab is just a big phone...

Guest removed-14
The Galaxy was an exception as Samsung are part of the Open handset alliance, and also the Galaxy Tab is just a big phone...

Nothing to do with being an exception, as you stated it has phone capability hence it gets the Market. If and when the Advent Vega with 3G comes it too may have the Market.

Guest TylerDurdenK

Just tested this mkv file in Rock Player. It started but was very blocky, then stopped playing altogether.

Not good:

Video

ID							   : 1

Format						   : AVC

Format/Info					  : Advanced Video Codec

Format profile				   : [email protected]

Format settings, CABAC		   : Yes

Format settings, ReFrames		: 8 frames

Muxing mode					  : Container [email protected]

Codec ID						 : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC

Duration						 : 4mn 44s

Bit rate						 : 3 885 Kbps

Nominal bit rate				 : 4 000 Kbps

Width							: 1 280 pixels

Height						   : 720 pixels

Display aspect ratio			 : 16:9

Frame rate					   : 23.976 fps

Resolution					   : 8 bits

Colorimetry					  : 4:2:0

Scan type						: Progressive

Bits/(Pixel*Frame)			   : 0.176

Stream size					  : 132 MiB (84%)

Writing library				  : x264 core 56 svn-680

Encoding settings				: cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=7 / brdo=1 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=0 / threads=6 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=1 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / wpredb=1 / bime=1 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40(pre) / rc=2pass / bitrate=4000 / ratetol=1.0 / rceq='blurCplx^(1-qComp)' / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30

Language						 : English

Audio

ID							   : 2

Format						   : AC-3

Format/Info					  : Audio Coding 3

Codec ID						 : A_AC3

Duration						 : 4mn 44s

Bit rate mode					: Constant

Bit rate						 : 640 Kbps

Channel(s)					   : 6 channels

Channel positions				: Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE

Sampling rate					: 48.0 KHz

Stream size					  : 21.7 MiB (14%)

Google doesnt officially support android on their tablets. Google wants CromeOS on their tablets not Android.

Thats why tablets without a sim slot wont get Market Place. because its not a phone.

I dont know why people are expecting this when its plastered all over the net.

That's simply not true. Google have repeatedly said that ChromeOS is for netbooks, for things with a keyboard and a mouse. They've ALSO stated that Froyo is not tablet-ready, but that one of the upcoming releases (Gingerbread or Honeycomb, details not released yet) will be.

The 3G slot has less to do with the market support than the fact Android simply doesn't support greater than 7" screens officially yet.

Nothing to do with being an exception, as you stated it has phone capability hence it gets the Market. If and when the Advent Vega with 3G comes it too may have the Market.

Actually I believe Google aren't approving 10" Tablets atm?

P

Guest removed-14
I've seen video of the Archos tablet using a USB mouse to navigate the UI. Do you think the Vega would be able to do that?

Tried plugging in both USB mouse and then a keyboard and neither work.

Guest 5c00ter

Another update:

1. No sound on .mkv video formats; a little jumpy visually.

2. Downloaded youtube HD video plays well with sound

3. No sound on XVID MPEG-4 video with audio codec AC-3 (surround 5.1)

Another update:

1. No sound on .mkv video formats; a little jumpy visually.

2. Downloaded youtube HD video plays well with sound

3. No sound on XVID MPEG-4 video with audio codec AC-3 (surround 5.1)

Have you tried yxplayer? That supports AC-3 IIRC.

P

Hmm, SD Card is Fat32 formatted so I'm struggling to fins a file small enough.

Don't know if you have access to dd (Unix command line) but if you have, just chop the head off a file with:

dd if=infile.mkv of=outfile.mkv bs=1024 count=10000

That'll make a 10Mbyte file which should be enough to know if it works. Or size appropriately if you want a bigger file...

Guest Bisto321

Yes, lots of people are getting in a bit of a muddle about why market is not included on larger tabs. Current Google stance is 7inch or under and 3g, Samsung had to do some workaround's with the resolution, but this should be the norm in 2.3 and google have already stated that 2.3 will cope with 1024x600 and that 3.0 (honeycomb?) will be for tablets proper.

Google went on record last week ( http://mashable.com/2010/11/15/android-chrome-os/ ) to say that chrome will be for desktop/keyboards and Android is for touchscreen - so we know what OS tablets will be based on then B)

Guest debs626

Does anyone know where the settings are for HDMI out, tried connecting it to my tv but nothing is happening and I cant find anything in the settings to force is to display via HDMI out

tia B)

Just tested this mkv file in Rock Player. It started but was very blocky, then stopped playing altogether.

Not good:

Video

Format						   : AVC

Format/Info					  : Advanced Video Codec

Format profile				   : [email protected]

Crikey, that's better than Blu-Ray (which is at [email protected]). Even though RockPlayer will be doing the decode in software, it'll seriously struggle. Do you not have anything at [email protected]?

Guest TylerDurdenK

This file works fine.

Video

ID							   : 0

Format						   : MPEG-4 Visual

Format profile				   : Advanced Simple@L5

Format settings, BVOP			: Yes

Format settings, QPel			: No

Format settings, GMC			 : No warppoints

Format settings, Matrix		  : Default (MPEG)

Muxing mode					  : Packed bitstream

Codec ID						 : XVID

Codec ID/Hint					: XviD

Duration						 : 1h 20mn

Bit rate						 : 1 272 Kbps

Width							: 688 pixels

Height						   : 384 pixels

Display aspect ratio			 : 16:9

Frame rate					   : 23.976 fps

Resolution					   : 8 bits

Colorimetry					  : 4:2:0

Scan type						: Progressive

Bits/(Pixel*Frame)			   : 0.201

Stream size					  : 734 MiB (74%)

Writing library				  : XviD 1.2.1 (UTC 2008-12-04)

Audio

Format						   : AC-3

Format/Info					  : Audio Coding 3

Codec ID						 : 2000

Duration						 : 1h 20mn

Bit rate mode					: Constant

Bit rate						 : 448 Kbps

Channel(s)					   : 6 channels

Channel positions				: Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE

Sampling rate					: 48.0 KHz

Stream size					  : 258 MiB (26%)

Alignment						: Split accross interleaves

Interleave, duration			 : 42 ms (1.00 video frame)

Interleave, preload duration	 : 500 ms