Advent Vega or Archos 101

Guest mirox3m

Guest emergant

I have recently bought an Archos 70. I'm most impressed by its size and weight. Its my first android device but I know linux pretty well.

I thought the 7 inch would be a bit small for the web but am surprised and impressed with how android enlarges the text to fit the screen making it very usable.

I ordered the advent yesterday. Why? Because its bigger has twice the ram and a next gen cpu. I dont mind gettig my hands dirty playing wit roms etc and would like to play with Meego or other Linux in the future.

The advent will likely be much more flexible and open. I've seen comments online which make me think the Archos will be more of a pain

Still wondering about the relative weights though.

Really depends what you want. Out of the box you'd probably be happiest with the archos. Even on 2.1 it works well. I've not tried the advent though...

Guest Paulo Nobrega

I'm also between the line choosing this two..

My main problem is that i think it will be a lot easier to get a Archos 101 sent to Portugal...

PC World is the only place i see Vega for sale, as far as i know dont ship abroad. And they are sold out on website, tho i see ppl still buying them (maybe the buy them on local stores).

I dont see many ppl sharing info about that...

I was considering VEga cause i wanted to do like my desire, put roms, hack a little.. Seems that's hard on Archos..

Tho i still dont real know the big tech differences between both of them...

Guest emergant
I'm also between the line choosing this two..

My main problem is that i think it will be a lot easier to get a Archos 101 sent to Portugal...

PC World is the only place i see Vega for sale, as far as i know dont ship abroad. And they are sold out on website, tho i see ppl still buying them (maybe the buy them on local stores).

I dont see many ppl sharing info about that...

I was considering VEga cause i wanted to do like my desire, put roms, hack a little.. Seems that's hard on Archos..

Tho i still dont real know the big tech differences between both of them...

archos less ram, slower cpu/graphics but also lighter. Maybe harder to hack we're waiting on android 2.2.

The advent has no app store out of the box but its fixable. Support seems active so far

Guest Paulo Nobrega

yes.. that's my point... at the moment vega is taking great advantage cause it has froyo and ppl (and Paul) already hacking the system...

but the problem is also that ppl outside UK will have a loooot of trouble getting a Vega.. that's my case...

Guest Carbonize

I went with the Archos for the fact it has support for pretty much every video format out there and also comes with uPNP support. No problems with it so far just wish they would hurry up with the Froyo update they promised for November.

Guest ZYDESIRE
I went with the Archos for the fact it has support for pretty much every video format out there and also comes with uPNP support. No problems with it so far just wish they would hurry up with the Froyo update they promised for November.

Can i ask how do you find the screen on the Archos 101 for reading books, also does it play flash smooth, and also hd content?.

Im torn between the advent and the 101 just cant make my mind up.

Guest Carbonize

I actually have an Archos 70 as I felt the 101 was a bit to big for my needs. Reading Ebooks on it is fine and it comes with Aldiko if you tell it to allow third party software on initial start up. It actually comes with a HD movie in the form of Big Buck Bunny which plays back very smoothly. Only supports up to 720P though but is that really an issue?

There is no Flash support yet because, as I said, we are still waiting on the Froyo update which they promised for this month.

I would'nt get the Archos if you want a device that 'futureproofed' admitidly we dont know the miniumum specs for gingerbread will be yet, but its possible 256MB devices wont cut it ...

Considering the Tegra 250 is dual core it should have a lot longer life in it than the Qualcomm (or is it snapdragon?) in the Archos ...

Guest Carbonize

Can't see why 256MB devices wont cut it. Given that Android is a mobile platform OS Google will be keeping the requirements down as much as possible. The only truely future proof device would be one that just runs the vanilla Android so that you are not waiting on the company to make whatever changes they require.

Imo comparing the Advent Vega vs the Archos 101 is like comparing the HTC Desire vs HTC Legend like what many was comparing nearer the start of the year.

The Archos is aesthetics than performance I like the Archos 101 because it looks nicer, its slimmer, lighter, has a kickstand, and it has 8gb space.

While the Advent Vega has better performance more ram, dual core processor, but 4gb space.

Archos is a more known manufacturer as it produces worldwide, while Advent is mainly in the UK.

So just depends which you like better, style vs performance.

Guest Carbonize
The Archos is aesthetics than performance I like the Archos 101 because it looks nicer, its slimmer, lighter, has a kickstand, and it has 8gb space.

While the Advent Vega has better performance more ram, dual core processor, but 4gb space.

You forgot to mention that the Archos will play pretty much any audio or video format you throw at it where as the Vega only has the stock Android codecs.

Archos is a more known manufacturer as it produces worldwide, while Advent is mainly in the UK.

So just depends which you like better, style vs performance.

As far as I am aware Advent is not just mainly UK, they are ONLY UK because it is the the Dixons Group own brand. As to performance I highly doubt you would notice any difference unless you start trying to do lots of things at once.

One thing the Vega does have is a team working on keeping it up to date going off the frequent updates. There have been a few Archos updates in the last two months but still no sign of the promised Froyo update :|

Don't forget the Vega is based off an OEM design so it won't be the last tablet that uses it I'm sure ... and also the Vega is more 'hackable' than the Archos currently.

Sorry I just personally believe that 256MB will not cut it for gingerbread, I dont have any proof one way or the other just a gut feeling.

Also its easy to say the Archos has better audio / video codecs maybe thats true for now ... But I am sure at somepoint the vega will have those too.

Again this is a personal choice , but I don't like Archos's implementation of the soft keys on the side of the screen either.

I was all for getting the 101 ... tbh I am glad I didn't, it's early days but I suspect anyone getting the 101 around now will regret that decision in 6 months time. IMO of course

Don't forget the Vega is based off an OEM design so it won't be the last tablet that uses it I'm sure ... and also the Vega is more 'hackable' than the Archos currently.

Sorry I just personally believe that 256MB will not cut it for gingerbread, I dont have any proof one way or the other just a gut feeling.

Also its easy to say the Archos has better audio / video codecs maybe thats true for now ... But I am sure at somepoint the vega will have those too.

Again this is a personal choice , but I don't like Archos's implementation of the soft keys on the side of the screen either.

I was all for getting the 101 ... tbh I am glad I didn't, it's early days but I suspect anyone getting the 101 around now will regret that decision in 6 months time. IMO of course

In all honesty I was all for getting the 101 as well until I stumbled across the Vega which to me so a better machine for slightly less money. Win, win situation.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest pritzb87
Would be nice to have your advice.

Hi there, i dont know how old this post is, but i purchased the Advent Vega a few weeks ago online from PC World...and i gave it back 8 days later..lol...to be honest with you, if you dont know nothing about custom roms, how to hack (i dont...newbie ;) ) then the Archos 101 or 70 is a better choice for you my friend...furthermore, out of the box, my advent vega...the bluetooth was not working, it did not connect with my phone nor my macbook pro...very dissapointing indeed!...the viewing angles on the Vega are terrible too!...portrait mode whilst using the internet was wayyyyyyyyyy tooo narrow for my liking, almost had to squint to see stuff...as for facebook, the chat box would move up as you scroll and it was annoying in general. The build of the advent vega is also pretty poor and the speakers are well...sh*t!...too quiteee...well i guess you get what you pay for...£249 is a steal...but you are being robbed at the same time...well thats my opinion anyway...last but not least, connecting the vega to a HDMI tv was a joke too...as it looked unclear and crappy....one more thing before i go...if you like retro video games consoles...including the PlayStation One...then check this out

Alll you need are the emulators, roms and also a Wii remote and a Wii classic controller and your done...enjoy! hope i helped you...

Guest pritzb87

Me again...if I was you...i would get the Archos 70 (7")....it is smaller, more portable, you can take it outside with you and tether your phone or use a mifi device to get internet on the tablet...and the best bit...there is also a 250gb version available soon!...and the cheapest i have seen the 250gb version is around £250 plus a small delivery fee...well if your not from the UK then convert the amount and see what you get...imagine having 250gb capacity and plus the option to expand by 32gb more via micro sd!!...woow!......ok...the advent vega may have a better processor and more ram...but if you visit the Archos official website and find the archos 70 and compare it with the Archos 7 Home tablet...you will see that you can also dual boot it to linux or meego...meego os is amazing...check it out on youtube....i cant wait to get my archos 70... ;)

Guest warriorscot

After reading through the thread I wanted to point out that while the Vega is UK only its based off a standard design that is being or going to be sold elsewhere under a different name but essentially the same hardware.

And I would point out even a trained monkey could install the custom roms its easier to do than upgrading the vega with the advent updates.

The thing about Archos is they have their own philosophies and ideas on how things should be done. They aren't as bad as apple but its still going to hamper progress in hacking it or even getting features added by the manufacturer.

I'm pretty happy with my Vega its a good deal for £250 and its definitely the minimum spec wise I would want in a tablet the archos just doesn't have enough muscle in my opinion. Its worth bearing in mind the Vega is a new device on a relatively new platform. Its going to get a lot better as the hardware support improves and as android improves for tablets in general.

Guest pritzb87
After reading through the thread I wanted to point out that while the Vega is UK only its based off a standard design that is being or going to be sold elsewhere under a different name but essentially the same hardware.

And I would point out even a trained monkey could install the custom roms its easier to do than upgrading the vega with the advent updates.

The thing about Archos is they have their own philosophies and ideas on how things should be done. They aren't as bad as apple but its still going to hamper progress in hacking it or even getting features added by the manufacturer.

I'm pretty happy with my Vega its a good deal for £250 and its definitely the minimum spec wise I would want in a tablet the archos just doesn't have enough muscle in my opinion. Its worth bearing in mind the Vega is a new device on a relatively new platform. Its going to get a lot better as the hardware support improves and as android improves for tablets in general.

Mate...if dats a pun at my comment about a monkey being able to install custom roms...then try installing customs roms using an x64 based windows 7 pc or laptop....Pauls drivers are just not compatible with it.....and as for installing official advent firmware...piece of cake! i dont know what your talking about?!...'myadventvega' support site gives the full instructions on how to get the device into recovery mode...and then all you simply do is download the firmware...make sure you have the usb driver which is also available on the site installed (infact, my windows 7 did this automatically) and finally just install the '.exe' file (official firmware) by double clicking on it! Simple!...No 'CMD' or 'Terminal' knowledge needed!...Ive already mentioned the fact that the advent vega does have a better, faster dual core processor...more ram as well...but only 512mb of flash capacity?!...wtf!!..fair enuff..it comes with 4gb micro sd...but nearly most other tablets out there...even the some of the dodgy foreign iPad wannabe tablets come with atleast 8gb or 16gb built in storage. The tablet maybe future proof in a sense...but the 'out of the box' experience is terrible...well thats my opinion anyway...most 'noobs' to hacking would prefer a product that says what it does out of the box...not something that has to be hacked and tweaked in order for a better UI...(user interface)...i would also like to add that there are a few reviews and videos out there where people have claimed the viewing angles on vega to be terrible and the fact that right now...the android OS is just not ready for such a big screen (10inch)...another thing 'gApps4Archos2.apk' is readily available on the net...a simple apk file which will enable you to have the google experience including market place!..you can even even download this file straight from your Archos 'gen8' tablet and install it from the device without a pc, terminal or cmd...easyy...finally i would like to add that most people want a tablet that does what it says on the box...not a tablet that they expect to run a marathon or make cups of tea! lol!....mirox3m...if you know whats good for you...then i advise you purchase an an Archos 70...or even the 101 model...because i know you already have the Samsung galaxy tab...beautiful piece of kit...but bit onda pricey side..loll...anyways, so im assuming you want something bigger than 7inch...Archos 101 mate.. ;)

Guest pritzb87

Oops...my bad...you have a 'Galaxy S'....then i really suggest Archos 70...portability is a great aspect in my opinion...well both archos 101 and 70 are good machines...but c'mon...250gb version of the Archos 70....doesnt that tickle your fancy???? ;)

Guest pritzb87

Advent Vega...looks like an over priced, cheapy wide screen digital photo frame!..lol!...less bevel and more screen horizontally would have made this tablet much better...and apparently...according to Adam Lockyer (category manager for Advent) claimed in a youtube video that it will come with 'AppsLib'...which Archos created!!!...lool!...even though appslib is abit of a joke...lol...my vega did not come installed with appslib...you have to do it yourself!..lolll...so overall...specwise=advent vega...

usability, design, better out of the box experience, capacity wise and lots of available accessories=Archos 70/101... ;)

Guest chizhuk

I bought both as Xmas pressies and have had a limited play with both, including adding marketplace etc.

I prefer the Archos 101 to the Vega but IMO there's not enough of a difference between the two to make a definitive choice. It's likely to come down to you personal preference. I think the 101 'feels' better despite the Vega being a better spec and £30 cheaper.

Guest removed-14
Advent Vega...looks like an over priced, cheapy wide screen digital photo frame!..lol!...less bevel and more screen horizontally would have made this tablet much better...and apparently...according to Adam Lockyer (category manager for Advent) claimed in a youtube video that it will come with 'AppsLib'...which Archos created!!!...lool!...even though appslib is abit of a joke...lol...my vega did not come installed with appslib...you have to do it yourself!..lolll...so overall...specwise=advent vega...

usability, design, better out of the box experience, capacity wise and lots of available accessories=Archos 70/101... ;)

So do you still own both?

Guest HugoQueiriga
I bought both as Xmas pressies and have had a limited play with both, including adding marketplace etc.

I prefer the Archos 101 to the Vega but IMO there's not enough of a difference between the two to make a definitive choice. It's likely to come down to you personal preference. I think the 101 'feels' better despite the Vega being a better spec and £30 cheaper.

How are the viewing angles compared to Advent vega?

Guest Bisto321

I think the yanks have a saying - "there is no replacement for displacement" - this is a reference to having large cubic capacity engines and massive horsepower, I believe?

Same applies here too - While the Archos may be the 'pretty' one, the Vega would be my choice as it is far more future proof and its hardware will be able to crunch through the newer OS's without too much trouble.

If you just want a tablet to do the things it say's it does on the box - then the Archos may be ok for you, but if you are thinking of playing with mods and upgrades to a newer and (potentially) more power/resource hungry OS then the Advent has got to be the only choice on the market at the moment.

Get a Vega, you know you want to ;)

PS. I notice that staples are now doing the archos 70 for £129 :P - this is really good value and I had a good play with it in the store, but OMG I really hate resistive screens now. I had a play with the galaxy TAB next to it just to confirm how bad they feel. To be fair, the archos screen is better than some, but now I have used a capacitive screen I could not go back to resistive.

I know archos fans will have their heckles up now, but it really could be much better with a capacitive screen - but then I suppose it would not be £129, they are obviously trying to gazump the Advent baby tab after seeing how good the sales for the Vega are.