Advent Vega or Archos 101

Guest mirox3m

Guest matneee
PS. I notice that staples are now doing the archos 70 for £129 ;) - this is really good value and I had a good play with it in the store, but OMG I really hate resistive screens now. I had a play with the galaxy TAB next to it just to confirm how bad they feel. To be fair, the archos screen is better than some, but now I have used a capacitive screen I could not go back to resistive.

I know archos fans will have their heckles up now, but it really could be much better with a capacitive screen - but then I suppose it would not be £129, they are obviously trying to gazump the Advent baby tab after seeing how good the sales for the Vega are.

Was that not the Archos 7 home tablet? AFAIK the Archos 70 does have a capacitive screen and costs about £100 more than that. That said, the staples website shows the spec and picture of the Archos 70, even if it is calling it "Archos Android Internet Tablet 7". Hmm.

Guest Bisto321
Was that not the Archos 7 home tablet? AFAIK the Archos 70 does have a capacitive screen and costs about £100 more than that. That said, the staples website shows the spec and picture of the Archos 70, even if it is calling it "Archos Android Internet Tablet 7". Hmm.

Yeah, sorry, looks like it is the 7 not the 70.

I was playing with it and just saw the tags that describe it as the 70, and the website still shows the details as the 70! I am sure the 70 is miles better than the old 7, glad I am wrong about this.

Edited by Bisto321

Guest warriorscot

I use win7 64bit and had no problems updating drivers manually to use ones from a specified folder is a twenty second job and its been the same process used by windows for the last 15 years so its not exactly hard.

If android isn't ready for a 10.1 inch screen on a vega how is it read on the archos with the same screen size. And comparing something with a 10inch screen to a 7 isn't much or a comparison. Personally a tablet means 10 inch screen anything smaller and its a palmtop or pocket pc whatever terminology you want to use. And the thing about the archos is that it isn't going to get much better than it is now. Whereas the Vega is going to improve a lot as software updates and OS changes start to catch up with the hardware and the Archos is going to languish behind because it just doesn't have the hardware backbone to keep up. And personally I would rather have something that is functional if not brilliant now but will be brilliant in 6 months to a year than something that is functional and good now and will be just the same in a year. But maybe that is just me I tend not to replace hardware that often unless its necessary as I don't like wasting money chasing technology.

I was playing with it and just saw the tags that describe it as the 70, and the website still shows the details as the 70! I am sure the 70 is miles better than the old 7, glad I am wrong about this.

The staples site links to specs: http://www.staples.co.uk/App_Themes/ck-CK/...pdfs/409189.pdf

And those say:

Archos 7 Tablet - Technical Specifications

Product capacity • Flash Serie: 8 GB**** flash memory + Micro SD Slot (SDHC compatible)

• Hard Drive Disk Serie : Hard Drive: 250 GB**** Hard Drive

Display characteristics

• High resolution screen, WVGA 800 x 480 pixels, 7'' TFT LCD, 16 million colors

• Capacitive multitouch screen

Application Framework Android 2.2 Froyo

Processor • ARM Cortex A8 at 1 GHz with DSP

• Graphic accelerator: 3D OpenGL ES 2.0

???!!

Guest chizhuk
How are the viewing angles compared to Advent vega?

Angle is better on the Archos than the Vega. I'd say anything steeper than 30deg away from flat and you might start to struggle. Maybe a little better on the Archos ~45deg. Vega is just a bit more reflective too.

Guest HugoQueiriga
Angle is better on the Archos than the Vega. I'd say anything steeper than 30deg away from flat and you might start to struggle. Maybe a little better on the Archos ~45deg. Vega is just a bit more reflective too.

How about vertical?

Guest Bisto321
The staples site links to specs: http://www.staples.co.uk/App_Themes/ck-CK/...pdfs/409189.pdf

And those say:

Archos 7 Tablet - Technical Specifications

Product capacity • Flash Serie: 8 GB**** flash memory + Micro SD Slot (SDHC compatible)

• Hard Drive Disk Serie : Hard Drive: 250 GB**** Hard Drive

Display characteristics

• High resolution screen, WVGA 800 x 480 pixels, 7'' TFT LCD, 16 million colors

• Capacitive multitouch screen

Application Framework Android 2.2 Froyo

Processor • ARM Cortex A8 at 1 GHz with DSP

• Graphic accelerator: 3D OpenGL ES 2.0

???!!

I think staples got it wrong.

I was just passing through and had a play with the 3 tabs on display, I looked at the label and saw that it said Archos70 and when I got home I checked the site to confirm specs. The site is a bit mixed up but I am pretty sure that it was the 7 in store and not the 70.

Going to the pet store tomorrow, will look again, but I am sure I am wrong and it is the 7.

The price and the resistive screen should have made me think.

Guest pritzb87

The specs shown on the staples site is that of an Archos 70. The Archos 7 home tablet has a resistive screen, the 70 is capacitive. Maybe they are advertising the wrong product...hmm... ;) its not currently in stock though...what a bummer!

Guest Bisto321
The specs shown on the staples site is that of an Archos 70. The Archos 7 home tablet has a resistive screen, the 70 is capacitive. Maybe they are advertising the wrong product...hmm... ;) its not currently in stock though...what a bummer!

I would not risk ordering it - you will get a 7, I am sure, and would then have to return it.

Guest pritzb87
I use win7 64bit and had no problems updating drivers manually to use ones from a specified folder is a twenty second job and its been the same process used by windows for the last 15 years so its not exactly hard.

If android isn't ready for a 10.1 inch screen on a vega how is it read on the archos with the same screen size. And comparing something with a 10inch screen to a 7 isn't much or a comparison. Personally a tablet means 10 inch screen anything smaller and its a palmtop or pocket pc whatever terminology you want to use. And the thing about the archos is that it isn't going to get much better than it is now. Whereas the Vega is going to improve a lot as software updates and OS changes start to catch up with the hardware and the Archos is going to languish behind because it just doesn't have the hardware backbone to keep up. And personally I would rather have something that is functional if not brilliant now but will be brilliant in 6 months to a year than something that is functional and good now and will be just the same in a year. But maybe that is just me I tend not to replace hardware that often unless its necessary as I don't like wasting money chasing technology.

I owned a Vega for a week, portrait mode internet was tooooooo narrow and blurry....i have tried a archos 101 in microanvika...a shop n Tottenham Court Road London....display model...and the portrait mode internet on the 101 is a million times better than the vega...the 101 is more clear and the tablet seems to fit everything on the page near perfect....i personally want the 7 inch for the portability factor...and i am waiting for the archos 70 250 gb model...but i might check out staples soon when the archos 7 or 70 is in stock and see if it is actually a 70....even if its 8gb...£129 is a bloody bargain! ;)

Guest ArtyCarl

I have an iPad and bought the Galaxy Tab first day and sold it after a week. It worked fine but nowhere near as slick as the iPad and the price was incredibly expensive. In recent days i have been looking at getting a cheaper Android tablet and have looked carefully at these.

The trouble is i have bought Archos products in the past and they are a really irritating company. Not sure if the same is required for the 101 but you had to pay extra to get a codec pack and waiting for simple upgrades was mindnumbingly slow.

For me with Modaco supporting rom development and patches for improving performance then the Vega wins. You may not agree with that now but wait 6 months and see where both are in terms of development.

Guest pritzb87
So do you still own both?

no...i had an Advent Vega....did not like it very much...and to rub salt in my wounds the bluetooth was not functioning...did not connect with my phone or ma macbook pro....i am waiting to purchase and archos 70...250gb preferably....but if the archos 70 8gb model is available in staples for £129...then thats what im getting...thats a bargain...but more towards the 250gb model...

I may be digressing off topic now...but have you seen some of the windows 7 based tablets out there??...there amazing!...abit on the pricey side but amazing none the less...well the windows 7 starter edition not so good...but premium works with the touch screen really well...an example of a windows 7 tablet is the viewsonic tablet...check it out http://www.amazon.co.uk/Viewsonic-Multitou...1795&sr=8-1 the tablet is dual boot with windows 7 premium and also android 1.6 os...i dnt know if the android side can be updated 2 froyo 2.2...but if you got windows 7 on a tablet....and a tablet with a netbooks processor....who needs android?! lol...bit onda pricey side but still check it out....

Guest warriorscot

Advent is a pretty big company. With companies like that sometimes its hard to get an accurate picture as different divisions of the company can be totally different. They also make a broader range of hardware than they used too so I don't think they are going to be quite as bad as they were. From what I have read they seem to have a continuing support plan in place so we should be set with updates at least until 3.0 appears.

Guest niko1986

I might pick up a Archos 7 as a geek distraction until some mid range second generation tabs come along.

Had a hands on with the Vega and inspite of the lovely future proof tegra it feels like its held back by its screen. And the archos 101 looks lovely except its lacking in memory and future proofing. Hope the two tablets have a child and make something like im wishing for.

Guest dagrim1
I might pick up a Archos 7 as a geek distraction until some mid range second generation tabs come along.

Had a hands on with the Vega and inspite of the lovely future proof tegra it feels like its held back by its screen. And the archos 101 looks lovely except its lacking in memory and future proofing. Hope the two tablets have a child and make something like im wishing for.

Tough choice, but with regards to future possibilities I went with the Vega as well... The tegra dualcore and 512mb ram made it the one for me. Didn't compare it in reallife with the archos, but I have not regretted it yet.

I agree the screen is so-so, viewing angles aren't that great and could be sharper. Then again, I'm used to a galaxy s which is 800x480 @ 4" versus the vega which is 1024x600 @ 10" so it's not strange that it isn't as sharp.

But responsiveness is great, wifi and bluetooth working just fine here and about the storage. Well, I do agree that the default 512MB is very small but sd cards are pretty cheap so you can get 16GB for like $30 which is more then enough.

You have to be able to tweak and mod a bit with the vega (in order to get the market for example, or pauls mod on it) but the same goes for the archos (you still need the market4archos apk or something). It's decent but limited by default but the possibilities are just great.

Guest chuck677

What about aesthetics and looks? And the way the screen flows into the bezel on the advent whereas on the archos there appears to be an edge between the screen and the case?