Noob Android version change question

Guest ZTE

Hi folk's,

I'm a complete noob when it comes to Android, but I am am familiar with PC's and computers in general. In fact I don't even have an Android phone yet! Getting an Orange SF for Xmas. B)

Anyway, the dumb question is:

Why is it so difficult to change the version of Android on a phone? i.e. from 2.1 to 2.2.

Is there not a way to change the operating system by loading up a standard version and customising it to your phone with drivers etc. like you would a PC?

Can't understand why you need new ROMs and things, which seem a bit hit and miss to me.

Thanks for any info.

Cheers :)

Edited by ZTE

Im no rom developer but i have a good idea about roms ect. Well you would have to port the kernel which is written for that device running 2.1, so you need to make the kernel compatible with the new 2.2 which is a lot of work and debugging. So theres lots of modding the source and compiling it into new roms and testing it for bugs ect

Android kernel is based on the linux kernel its just highly modded version

Im sure there is more than that, if some one does know more about this subject please let us know, as knowledge is power!

Here is a noobs guide to android containing links to all you will need to know to get you started: http://twon23.blogspot.com/2010/11/android...-beginners.html

Edited by twon

Thanks for the useful links, twon. :D

One thing I've never been into is Linux. So I'm at a disadvantage straight away!

I'll just have to pick it up as I go along, I 'spose. :P

Cheers

Thanks for the useful links, twon. :D

One thing I've never been into is Linux. So I'm at a disadvantage straight away!

I'll just have to pick it up as I go along, I 'spose. :P

Cheers

No problem i know what its like trying to learn. Some people just think you should know it all and are funny about answering questions, but we all have to start some where. So i put together them links to make it easier for every one to find out the info they need in one spot, saves time.

Don't worry about linux i will base most of my stuff on windows because i know most people use it

Anything you would like to know feel free to ask. Will do my best to help although i don't want to be asked bone questions that you could have read in my blog just because you t can't be assed reading.

Oh and keep an eye on my blog because i will be updating it and adding things i find to it all the time. Hopefully will add video tutorials on it at some point.

Edited by twon