MoDaCo Custom r6 discussion archive

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest griff_dai
Yeah, sorry... re-reading that, it does look like drivel.

Let me try again.

You use the kitchen to put together the addons you want.

Then you download the file. It is a zip file - so you unzip it.

The unzipped files consist of four folders and a bunch of other files. One of the folders, usbdriver, contains the needed drivers but in a zip file, so you need to unzip it so Windows can find the driver when you browse to the folder.

Simples.?

I was going to just download the pre-bake with the performance pack.

This USB zipped file, does it contain a exe. file then? that installs the driver

I think you have made it more 'simples' than the last post ;)

Guest Pantaloonie
This USB zipped file, does it contain a exe. file then? that installs the driver

No, it's inf and dll files. You need to find the entry in Device Manager that relates to the Vega, and right click/update driver. Then point it to wherever you unzipped all the files to and it will install the driver.

Guest griff_dai
No, it's inf and dll files. You need to find the entry in Device Manager that relates to the Vega, and right click/update driver. Then point it to wherever you unzipped all the files to and it will install the driver.

so I need to create a file on the desktop, put the pre-bake in it then direct my way down to the unzipped file with the device manager???

Guest landofhopeandglory
that's easy :)

(someone better be around on Christmas morning in case I f**k this up)

Wish I could say it was easy. Bought 3 as pressies for the wife and kids for Xmas nearly 3 weeks ago and still cant follow how to do what I am supposed to in order to upgrade the machines to Pauls excellent Kitchen model.

I am more than willing to pay the 9.99 and then some to the site but feel that if I can't follow the instructions it will be pointless and very very frustrating.I have read so much and tried so hard to understand what you guys and gals can do and are doing to improve your Vega's but I am still stuck on just downloading the 3 machines to the 1.04....and that's it!

I do not know how to unzip and follow , were to find files or send them back to and from various places...I am without a doubt super thick when it comes to this sort of thing but I do know I will not be alone and the more successful the Vega becomes the more peeps will flock to this site wishing to get the best out of their Vega but many like me, will struggle.

Can anyone take pity as I sit with my virtual 9.99 in my sweaty palm take pity on an old man of 50 and do a YouTube of a Vega on the left and Windows Vista on the right both with just the power on and do a step by step guide, incl finding and renaming folders zipping,unzipping etc and not assuming anything right up to installing all of the products in Pauls custom Kitchen and rebooting the Vega.....

I promise I will not ask Santa for anything as I know this is a big ask but I feel sooooo many will be sooo grateful. :)

Guest griff_dai
Wish I could say it was easy. Bought 3 as pressies for the wife and kids for Xmas nearly 3 weeks ago and still cant follow how to do what I am supposed to in order to upgrade the machines to Pauls excellent Kitchen model.

I am more than willing to pay the 9.99 and then some to the site but feel that if I can't follow the instructions it will be pointless and very very frustrating.I have read so much and tried so hard to understand what you guys and gals can do and are doing to improve your Vega's but I am still stuck on just downloading the 3 machines to the 1.04....and that's it!

I do not know how to unzip and follow , were to find files or send them back to and from various places...I am without a doubt super thick when it comes to this sort of thing but I do know I will not be alone and the more successful the Vega becomes the more peeps will flock to this site wishing to get the best out of their Vega but many like me, will struggle.

Can anyone take pity as I sit with my virtual 9.99 in my sweaty palm take pity on an old man of 50 and do a YouTube of a Vega on the left and Windows Vista on the right both with just the power on and do a step by step guide, incl finding and renaming folders zipping,unzipping etc and not assuming anything right up to installing all of the products in Pauls custom Kitchen and rebooting the Vega.....

I promise I will not ask Santa for anything as I know this is a big ask but I feel sooooo many will be sooo grateful. :)

a You tube vid would be an amazing help!

a You tube vid would be an amazing help!

I agree. I'm completely lost.

Should I have downloaded the update to the Vega? If so - how do I unzip the file, as it keeps saying application not available. I have absolutely no idea how to access any Apps - please help

Guest tallen3
I agree. I'm completely lost.

Should I have downloaded the update to the Vega? If so - how do I unzip the file, as it keeps saying application not available. I have absolutely no idea how to access any Apps - please help

You're not alone I'm lost too and I've rooted and put a ROM on my Nexus, but since moving to Windows 7 I can't get ADB or java to install let alone drivers. I've had to step away from my Vega before my frustration gets the better of me. Nobody seems to give a step by step guide that is acutally step by step. To many assumptions are made I think we'd like to be treated as idiots and every little step should be mentioned. When installing the USB drivers what exact file should you select in the process I can't make head nor tale of it. Here's hoping there's somebody very very kind out there that will help us, I realise its a big thing to ask. Please, please someone rescue us.

Guest landofhopeandglory
You're not alone I'm lost too and I've rooted and put a ROM on my Nexus, but since moving to Windows 7 I can't get ADB or java to install let alone drivers. I've had to step away from my Vega before my frustration gets the better of me. Nobody seems to give a step by step guide that is acutally step by step. To many assumptions are made I think we'd like to be treated as idiots and every little step should be mentioned. When installing the USB drivers what exact file should you select in the process I can't make head nor tale of it. Here's hoping there's somebody very very kind out there that will help us, I realise its a big thing to ask. Please, please someone rescue us.

WOW!

alcaholics have the AA

gambling addicts the GA

we must join the FVAC Frustrated Vega Annon Club

4 of us already.....

If just one kind sole who has already modified their Vega so it's running like a steam train on speed, could re-do it right from scratch as if they had just got the thing out of the box and video a follow me how to.you would be a hero and well rewarded for your random act of kindness...I too wish to be treated like an idiot and walked by the hand so steadily you would think I needed two new hips. :)

Guest griff_dai
WOW!

alcaholics have the AA

gambling addicts the GA

we must join the FVAC Frustrated Vega Annon Club

4 of us already.....

If just one kind sole who has already modified their Vega so it's running like a steam train on speed, could re-do it right from scratch as if they had just got the thing out of the box and video a follow me how to.you would be a hero and well rewarded for your random act of kindness...I too wish to be treated like an idiot and walked by the hand so steadily you would think I needed two new hips. :)

pmsl :)

Hi, I need help installing this stuff.

I'm trying to follow you instructions, I'm at step2, "use android developer bridge"

I'm trying to do that by running "adb-windows.exe"; but I get a command prompt flash on the screen for a FRACTION of a second, then gone!

I've tried continuing to follwo the instructions but without success

help!

Guest The Yellow Monster
Hi, I need help installing this stuff.

I'm trying to follow you instructions, I'm at step2, "use android developer bridge"

I'm trying to do that by running "adb-windows.exe"; but I get a command prompt flash on the screen for a FRACTION of a second, then gone!

I've tried continuing to follwo the instructions but without success

help!

Gregga, let's start at the beginning.

Question 1: Have you installed the official driver? If you have you are stuck where I was the day I got the device.

If this is the point you are stuck at then you need to delete both the mass storage device and the composite device that appear in device manager.

Then install the driver from this site.

Then when you run from the command prompt it should work.

TIP: If you want to know what is happening in the DOS screen then run the file from command prompt rather than double clicking on it.

Oh I just realised after re-reading your post.....you should not be running adb-windows.exe at all, run the bat file.

Edited by The Yellow Monster

DONE IT :)

Thanks for the help - it seems to work better on my XP machine and all is now well.

But - it seems that I have inadverdently downloaded all the photos off my PC onto the Vega. I can't locate the folder on the Vega, so can't delete them. Any ideas? They don't appear to be on the SD card - as I've connected that to the PC.

Gregga, let's start at the beginning.

Question 1: Have you installed the official driver? If you have you are stuck where I was the day I got the device.

If this is the point you are stuck at then you need to delete both the mass storage device and the composite device that appear in device manager.

Then install the driver from this site.

Then when you run from the command prompt it should work.

TIP: If you want to know what is happening in the DOS screen then run the file from command prompt rather than double clicking on it.

Oh I just realised after re-reading your post.....you should not be running adb-windows.exe at all, run the bat file.

Which driver, where?

We have removed the mass storage and composite device and still no luck

Just get 'daemon not running. Starting it now on port 5037'

Then

'Daemon started successfully' after this nothing happens

Guest The Yellow Monster
Which driver, where?

We have removed the mass storage and composite device and still no luck

Just get 'daemon not running. Starting it now on port 5037'

Then

'Daemon started successfully' after this nothing happens

The driver is inside r4-vega-modacocustomromaddon-unsigned.zip

The driver is inside r4-vega-modacocustomromaddon-unsigned.zip

ahh right, i have simply been clicking on the 'click to bake' image from my modaco account

will try again... cheers

Guest swarrans

It'll be interesting to see if someone does come up with a youtube video showing the exact steps necessary to update the rom but imho it would probably be a thankless task because of all the variables involved in different operating systems and trying to take some people up from the "how do you unzip a file" stage. Without trying to be unkind, i think that unless you have a basic knowledge of IT updating the vega iis probably not something you should attempt unless and until a much more user friendly process is developed (ie download the update file to the vega itself and just run it from there)

Having said that it is only really difficult because of the awfulness of windows and the way it handles drivers - I do sympathise though as it took me a couple of goes to get it work too and I still have to manually update the driver when i do another update.

ahh right, i have simply been clicking on the 'click to bake' image from my modaco account

will try again... cheers

im getting to 'install-windows.bat' but then once selecting, nothing happens?!

see image below, i select the BAT install windows file and this happens - nothing :)

rom.jpg

Guest swarrans
im getting to 'install-windows.bat' but then once selecting, nothing happens?!

see image below, i select the BAT install windows file and this happens - nothing :)

rom.jpg

Presumably you have selected "run" and then typed cmd to get the command box, yes? If you then type install-windows.bat what does the command line respond? If it says something like "command or file not found" you are probably not in the right directory. Type cd \ at the command prompt and cd "whatever the directory is that you downloaded the rom update files to" The type windows-install.bat and it should run

Guest swarrans
It wont let me type anything in at all :)

Do not click on the install file but open the command line through the windows "run" function - type cmd in the box and the command box will open then change the directory to where the rom files are located and then type install-windows.bat

Do not click on the install file but open the command line through the windows "run" function - type cmd in the box and the command box will open then change the directory to where the rom files are located and then type install-windows.bat

Done that, hit enter after typing it all in and still nothing happens, just stays like this >>>

rom1-1.jpg