MoDaCo Custom r6 discussion archive

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest chrisw125
Help has any body got any ideas

I restored to the official advent image then did r6 again worked fine also if this fails paul posted a fix via adb ( a simple guide to this is on here somewhere)

Guest griff_dai
OK, dumb questions time...

1. I have the full r5 working sweet as you like, does the upgrade to r6 leave all my apps etc intact?

2. Do I need to 'bake' everything again in the kitchen (as I did the first time) and just redo the process?

3. What would I actually 'need' the recovery boot app for - I have seen it causing a few complications for people, should I just not add it?

Thanks in advance guys

G

All my downloads and stuff were their and I didn't backup.

R6 is so far really great, seems faster to me, great stuff :(

Guest gitf@ce

Updated from r4 with no problems! Very happy... thank you Paul for a great update!

However... this is where the buck stops for me if we have to use 'Clockwork Recovery' for r7 onwards. Too many horror stories on here getting ignored, don't want the hassle!

Guest tech_fox
can someone help please just downloaded version 1.06.5 from the advent site and got that working on my advent venga however now just downloaded the kitchen r5 after paying a tenner on the advice of others however when following the directions me being a complete virgin at this kinda thing

If you are using Windows, your USB 'Android Developer Bridge' driver MUST be the one included in this download (use 'Have Disk' functionality in device manager to change if required)

when i look for this usb drive on my device manager i only find

Nvidia android composite device and that appears to be upto date with the version im trying to update to top it off when i install the driver as directed

# Download the zip file of your choice from the links below (or the online kitchen) and extract on your Windows PC, Linux PC or Mac

# Connect your device to your PC

# At a command prompt / terminal, ensure you are in the directory you extracted the files, and run 'install-windows.bat', './install-linux.sh' or './install-mac.sh' as appropriate

# Wait for your device to reboot! smile.gif

whe i run install-windows.bat it just stay black and nothing comes up however the last time i did it it came up saying it was running but stays like that forever and the tablet doesnt seem to respond could anyone please help as at the moment its like a doorstop and no use to me lol

Many thanks

Afie

You shouldn't have an "Nvidia android composite device". This should be "USB Composite Device". Try the following procedure to change the driver:-

In device manager right click "Nvidia android composite device" and select "Update Driver Software". Then select "Browse my Computer for driver software" then "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer" then select "USB Composite Device" (note DO NOT select "Nvidia Android Composite Device" AND do not select "Have disk") and then click "Next". At this point it should display a successful install of the "USB Composite Device". On closing this final window, with luck you should see two new entries under "Universal Serial Bus controller", namely "USB Composite Device" and "Andoid Debug Bridge Interface". If you get the latter use arad85's instructions in his topic "What to do when your USB drivers are wrong (win7/64)...., how to update to the correct drivers" . If you are really lucky you will see "Nvidia Harmony" under "Other Devices" If you see neither entry see my post number 580 on page 29 of the MODACO Custom ROM Addon pinned topic.

Let us know how you get on.

Edited by tech_fox

Updated from r4 with no problems! Very happy... thank you Paul for a great update!

However... this is where the buck stops for me if we have to use 'Clockwork Recovery' for r7 onwards. Too many horror stories on here getting ignored, don't want the hassle!

I'll obviously only move to 'clockworkmod only' if the process is 100% safe!

P

Guest gitf@ce
I'll obviously only move to 'clockworkmod only' if the process is 100% safe!

P

Thank you Paul... I shouldn't have doubted. You have probably put a lot of people at ease by saying that... great work!

Edited by gitf@ce

Guest woodski
Help has any body got any ideas

still got prosser not responding i keep trying to put in recovery mode with no joy i think the problem is i cant switch off when i get power off screen up it just trys to reboot have tryed recovery on two pc same thing happens any ideas please my daughter would love her xmas back when i power off i still see advent logo running in back ground dimly

Edited by woodski

Guest fudgeboy

Hi Paul,

Thanks--upgraded from r5, and r6 working beautifully!

Only minor issue: the when the install script tries to chmod 0755 /system/bin/*, it fails on /system/bin/busybox, because it's a symlink to /sbin/busybox, and it doesn't have write access to /sbin at that point. My /sbin/busybox has a mode of 0750, which is presumably fine in practice--I suspect only root apps are going to want to call busybox.

Any chance of having the orange bar at the top of the calendar app fixed for r7? Makes the calendar quite tricky to use. I think you'll be able to fix it, since you fixed a similar issue on the Blade (IIRC).

Was also wondering about A2SD+ for r7. The Froyo version is OK, but still not as clean or automatic as A2SD+.

James

Guest fudgeboy

Ah yes--forgot to ask about battery life in standby. Can anything be done about that? Currently it seems to lose about 10% per hour, which is pretty bad for something with nothing to do (no cell radio, and wifi and bluetooth disconnected). Seems as though this is a common problem.

(But I was rather surprised to discover last night that I lost about 30% in 9 hours even with the thing turned completely off! Surely that can't be normal?)

James

still got prosser not responding i keep trying to put in recovery mode wiyh no joy i think the problem is i cant switch off when i get power off screen up it just trys to reboot have tryed recovery on two pc same thing happens any ideas please my daughter would love her xmas back

Providing that you follow the recovery mode sequence exactly there is no reason why it shouldn't go into recovery.

Just to recap from the error screen hold down the power button for 6 seconds, then hold down the back button for 2 seconds, then hold the power button for 2 seconds whilst keeping the back button still held down then release the power button and leave for another 2 seconds before releasing the back button. Now if you have the sound enabled on your computer it should make a sound when connected.

Guest unclebob31

Thanks Paul

Shaked and baked the new rom.

Upgraded inside a couple of minutes.

All seems to be working fine. Not tried the USB port yet.

Hope you are having a great xmas.

The best UB13

Guest woodski
Providing that you follow the recovery mode sequence exactly there is no reason why it shouldn't go into recovery.

Just to recap from the error screen hold down the power button for 6 seconds, then hold down the back button for 2 seconds, then hold the power button for 2 seconds whilst keeping the back button still held down then release the power button and leave for another 2 seconds before releasing the back button. Now if you have the sound enabled on your computer it should make a sound when connected.

managed to get into recovery half way thruogh installing driver got prossor message not responding is this now a brick/

Guest Dreeder

Many many thanks Paul,

Mine arrived this morning, within 15mins id baked a rom, installed it and was up and running.

Been a lurker on here for quite some time, but now ive got a reason to get involved and post. :(

Thanks again, Darryn.

Guest woodski
Many many thanks Paul,

Mine arrived this morning, within 15mins id baked a rom, installed it and was up and running.

Been a lurker on here for quite some time, but now ive got a reason to get involved and post. :(

Thanks again, Darryn.

Paul can you help please is this a software problem or hardware problem

Sorry to be a pain if i cant go into recovery mode is there anything else i can do prosser syterm not responding all the time cant force close and cant switch off when holding down 6 sec. Back power Back to recovery not working processer not responing pops up Tryed 3 pc to force show new hard -ware

Edited by woodski

Guest swarrans

Did you do this without applying advents 1.06 rom first as a matter of interest? If so it'll save me a step....

Guest cultiv8ed

Updated from R5 and it works great so far. Small notification bar, super user working correctly.

Not sure if this has been mentioned but if you have done the wpa_supplicant mod to enable tethering to an ad-hoc network this needs to be reapplied seperately.

Guest gitf@ce
Did you do this without applying advents 1.06 rom first as a matter of interest? If so it'll save me a step....

No... you can't do that. After all the fiddling and tweaking I had been doing over the last few weeks (lessons learned etc..), I was more than happy to wipe everything out by applying 1.06.

The whole update process really was rather quick :(

Best of luck!

Guest dannight
Paul can you help please is this a software problem or hardware problem

Sorry to be a pain if i cant go into recovery mode is there anything else i can do prosser syterm not responding all the time cant force close and cant switch off when holding down 6 sec. Back power Back to recovery not working processer not responing pops up Tryed 3 pc to force show new hard -ware

I managed to sort the not responding using Pauls ADB fix, found here http://android.modaco.com/content-page/324...chen/page/740/# post #743

basic guide to ADB here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=656536

I was new to this till recently, all you have to do is search for beginner guides to what you need to do.

Hope this helps!

Guest dagrim1

Hmmm, just to be sure... I flashed r6 but my 'model' info (settings -> about -> model) shows 'Advent Vega with Modaco custom rom add-on and performance pack r4'.

Is that correct? Or did something go wrong with the update, think I updated from r5 (also, the maps rotation thing didn't work for my by default after the addon... had to change the permissions xml file again.)

Edited by dagrim1

Guest Thresherinc
Hmmm, just to be sure... I flashed r6 but my 'model' info (settings -> about -> model) shows 'Advent Vega with Modaco custom rom add-on and performance pack r4'.

Is that correct? Or did something go wrong with the update, think I updated from r5 (also, the maps rotation thing didn't work for my by default after the addon... had to change the permissions xml file again.)

Mine says

Model Number

Advent Vega with MoDaCo Custom ROM Add-On and Performance Pack r6

Guest PurpleRob

Just downloaded and installed the r6 rom without any issues, everything is working as expected woohoo. My vega is now the machine it always should have been.

Cheers for all the good work Paul........

Guest dagrim1
Mine says

Model Number

Advent Vega with MoDaCo Custom ROM Add-On and Performance Pack r6

Hmmm, ok... guess something went wrong afterall then :(

Will try to flash again, thanks for the info!

Guest simonta

Folks, I think that for most people, a complete rebuild makes sense for each of Pauls packs. Here's what you need to know.

1. Paul's stuff is NOT a ROM. It replaces files, changes settings or adds new files to the existing ROM.

2. The only ROMs are from Vega - currently 1.04 and 1.06_5.

3. 1.06_5 is a superset of 1.04. In other words, if you flash 1.06_5, you don't need 1.04.

4. To flash a ROM, you MUST be in the Vegas recovery mode (you know, back 2 secs, power+back 2 secs etc)

5. To apply Pauls' packs, you must be in USB debug mode (in Settings->Applications->Development)

6. Pauls' packs are supersets. You only need to apply the latest one.

7. The Vega app backup (Settings->Software Tool->Backup) plus Launcher Pros backup is everything you need to get back to where you were before a flash.

8. You do NOT need to restore after applying Paul's pack.

Given this, here's how I do my flashing:

1. Backup apps and Launcher Pro (haven't tried ADW but I expect it also has backup)

2. Flash 1.06_5.

3. Restore apps and Launcher Pro

4. Apply latest mcr pack. (do this after you restore as Pauls' fixes may overwrite something)

Job done!

(Experienced peeps on here - I know this is overkill and there are exceptions but for our newcomer friends, I think this is the route to upgrade with fewest tears)