MoDaCo Custom r6 discussion archive

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Halibut

OK, I'm new to this but please bear with me.

I'm thinking of buying a Vega after much deliberation over various tablets and found a link to this custom ROM from a review site which clearly makes the tablet a much more versatile piece of kit. I've toyed with buying top of the range tablets but just can't bring myself to shell out £400+ of my hard earned on a Galaxy Tab or iPad so £250 for a Vega with a more than decent processor took my eye.

Now here's the rub, I'm quite PC proficient but a total novice with Android. I do own a Galaxy S unbranded phone so I'm familiar with settings etc but have never actually hacked or rooted anything. The point of all this - do you think I should have a shot a this custom installation or will I be tempting fate with my lack of Android know how? The instructions look fairly straightforward but I haven't donated and downloaded anything yet to see what I'm dealing with.

I'm thinking of buying a Vega after much deliberation over various tablets and found a link to this custom ROM from a review site which clearly makes the tablet a much more versatile piece of kit. I've toyed with buying top of the range tablets but just can't bring myself to shell out £400+ of my hard earned on a Galaxy Tab or iPad so £250 for a Vega with a more than decent processor took my eye.

Now here's the rub, I'm quite PC proficient but a total novice with Android. I do own a Galaxy S unbranded phone so I'm familiar with settings etc but have never actually hacked or rooted anything. The point of all this - do you think I should have a shot a this custom installation or will I be tempting fate with my lack of Android know how? The instructions look fairly straightforward but I haven't donated and downloaded anything yet to see what I'm dealing with.

Pile 'O Piss mate. I don't have a clue, and have managed every hack going on this forum so far. Like yourself, I would consider myself fairly proficient in the realms of PC's, but a total Android noob. The instructions are easy, paul's device saving addon is fantastic, and the people here are awesome and happy to help, (As long as you search before asking a question! lol).

I would thoughroughly recommend going for the Vega - it's a great piece of kit, and i feel genuinly sorry for those who have bought an iPad / Galaxy Tab. Also grab one of the £5 gps units, (if you require - linked elsewhere on the forum), and probably a large compatible USB stick, (again links available).

Do it! .....

Edit - And you don't need to donate before you try. Most of the software here is free - there are some BIG benefits of paying for Ad-Free, (which I have done), but most of the stuff is given freely. Certainly the help and support is - you WILL be looked after here either way. This forum has been the main reason a lot of people have bought the vega over other device, (between the people and the code you can't go wrong!).

Edited by QLF

Guest bingobill

I was in exactly the same position as you, I also came across the MoDaCo info whilst researching tablets, on the strength of this I ordered the P10AN01 which is the OEM version of the Vega complete with the dock which is very useful.

I too am quite PC proficient but a total noob to Android. Anyway it came today so it I booted it up to make sure it was all working had a little play and then set about installing the Vega flash and ModaCo rom with PP which I had download in advance, just a little problem with usb drivers but soon sorted afer reading a few posts here. I had no hesitation in going adfree.

Go for it :lol:

Guest Halibut

Thanks for the replies guys, very much appreciated. Vega ordered online this morning now waiting with baited breath.

I will certainly subscribe as Paul clearly puts a lot of time and effort into this so only fair I reckon. Initially I'm going to play with it "out of the box" to get a feel for it then I'll add the ROM within a few days I guess

Best wishes.

Edited by Halibut

Guest wobblydoggy
Thanks for the replies guys, very much appreciated. Vega ordered online this morning now waiting with baited breath.

I will certainly subscribe as Paul clearly puts a lot of time and effort into this so only fair I reckon. Initially I'm going to play with it "out of the box" to get a feel for it then I'll add the ROM within a few days I guess

Best wishes.

I guarantee you won't wait a couple of day's lol

Guest thwacker

Best wishes.

A new update, 1.08 was issued yesterday so you'll probably find that your new Vega will have it already installed. Paul has indicated that he's working on a new R7 Modaco Custom ROM so it might be wise to wait for it rather than install R6. Like yourself I'm relatively new to Android but felt confident enough to create a

showing how to install R6.. Can I also suggest that you look over this useful thread. I hope you enjoy your Vega as much as I am.

Guest thedicemaster

google maps works fine, but you have to find your own location by hand(typing address in address bar, or dragging the map around untill you find your house)

google earth will crash without gps, but you can enable fake gps data and run an app called "my fake location" to allow it to find a gps location.

Guest jdearauj
google maps works fine, but you have to find your own location by hand(typing address in address bar, or dragging the map around untill you find your house)

google earth will crash without gps, but you can enable fake gps data and run an app called "my fake location" to allow it to find a gps location.

Thanks for the update, i did not know you could do that. I will give it a go now.

Thanks Simonta for the fake location idea.

Guest Halibut
A new update, 1.08 was issued yesterday so you'll probably find that your new Vega will have it already installed. Paul has indicated that he's working on a new R7 Modaco Custom ROM so it might be wise to wait for it rather than install R6. Like yourself I'm relatively new to Android but felt confident enough to create a
showing how to install R6.. Can I also suggest that you look over this useful thread. I hope you enjoy your Vega as much as I am.

Indebted to you for the thread links much appreciated.

I've been trawling through the previous 50 pages to get an idea of any issues and I think I'm somewhere near confident enough to have a crack at it without excessively sweaty palms. My biggest problem will be the drivers because I'm running Vista on this laptop and it isn't my favourite system for flexibility. Should that fail I have an old steam driven XP laptop somewhere I'll try.

I spotted the Advent update online yesterday so I'll check what it ships with before proceeding.

Once again, thanks for everyone's help, very much appreciated,

Guest jellywobbles
Indebted to you for the thread links much appreciated.

I've been trawling through the previous 50 pages to get an idea of any issues and I think I'm somewhere near confident enough to have a crack at it without excessively sweaty palms. My biggest problem will be the drivers because I'm running Vista on this laptop and it isn't my favourite system for flexibility. Should that fail I have an old steam driven XP laptop somewhere I'll try.

I spotted the Advent update online yesterday so I'll check what it ships with before proceeding.

Once again, thanks for everyone's help, very much appreciated,

I have WinXp / Win 7 laptops & found WinXP much easier to apply MCR 6 + PP. Despite carrying out all instructions ref USB drivers etc, none of my Win7 machines could find the Vega - WinXP device found it 1st time no probs! Job done in the time the coffee took to filter!

Enjoy :lol:

Guest Halibut
My Vega, delivered on the 24th, shipped with 1.08 on board.

Guessing mine will be the same then so I'm thinking I'll wait for Paul's R7 update before installing. Suppose I could give it a go and roll back to 1.08 if it goes pear shaped. Did you you install R6 over 1.08 and if so did it go OK?

Still waiting with baited breath though, PC World offered me timed delivery for an extra tenner or free unspecified delivery. I ordered it yesterday (Tuesday) and the earliest timed delivery on offer was Monday morning next week. No brainer, free unspecified it was so I'm not expecting anything anytime soon to be honest.

Anyway will keep ploughing through this excellent thread and once again my sincere thanks to one and all.

Guest dr_nick

just "updated" my vega to 1.08 from advent website - i am actually amazed at what little it does without paul's custom rom!

i can't remember how long it was before i flashed it when i first got it (third release i think), but it essentially does very little. the major benefit of this platform is that you can download apps, but with this disabled out-of-the-box, it is essentially a web browser and email reader. how many people want to spend 250quid on that?

i would be genuinely interested to know how many people have one and are running it "stock"?!

in the meantime, i'm now greatly looking forward to pauls MCR r7 - but if it isn't in the next couple of days (i know he's producing for a lot of other platforms by following his twitter feed), i may have to flash back to 1.06 and put r6 back on top!)

massive thanks to paul and the community.

Nx

i would be genuinely interested to know how many people have one and are running it "stock"?!

Hi,

My wife is runing a bog standard Vega with 1.04 as I didn't have time to do anything with it before I had to leave UK to return to work :lol:

She'll have to wait until I return in August, I wonder what goodies will be available by then :)

Thanks

GJS

Guest warriorscot
Hi,

My wife is runing a bog standard Vega with 1.04 as I didn't have time to do anything with it before I had to leave UK to return to work

She'll have to wait until I return in August, I wonder what goodies will be available by then

Thanks

GJS

You could always remote into your home PC and get her to put it into recovery and plug it in and leave it. That way you could make changes to it from where you are using VNC or something easier like teamviewer to control the home PC from anywhere in the world.

I haven't tried to remotely update the vega but I do connect to my home PC with teamviewer a lot with my vega and other computers its brilliant especially if you need a file or someone needs help and you can't physically be there.

Guest rvdgeer
glad it's not just me then!

:lol:

Reinstall the usb switcher...

This has been mentioned a couple of times before...

Has to do with super user rights it,s supposed to get...

Guest tjz1100
Reinstall the usb switcher...

This has been mentioned a couple of times before...

Has to do with super user rights it,s supposed to get...

I've taken the unit back to shop spec and re-installed the r6 pack. I've updated to 1.08 and installed the r6 pack. I've installed the standalone vegausbmode.apk three times now. Nothing, nada, no switch, nowt!

Guest Halibut

Well guys my Vega arrived today and I've just spent a couple of hours playing with it. Have to say build quality is better than expected and its shipped loaded with V 1.08 so I'm going to hang fire flashing the custom ROM until V7 arrives from Paul's mighty powers of programming. I've managed to sideload a shedload of Apps anyway so I'm not really in much of a hurry, there's little more that I want other than Flash, Gmail and Nav so I'm not overly impatient at the mo.

Initial impression, very good for the money and the lack of Apps can be easily hurdled by sideloading with a few exceptions, unfortunately the exceptions are what make Android what it is.

Guest rvdgeer
I've taken the unit back to shop spec and re-installed the r6 pack. I've updated to 1.08 and installed the r6 pack. I've installed the standalone vegausbmode.apk three times now. Nothing, nada, no switch, nowt!

Are you sure you reinstalled the switcher, not the switcher widget?

Can be quite confusing...

Should work on 1.06 with mcr r6...

Guest roadie26

hi guys im new to this forum, but i was given advice by a fellow hotukdeals member noj!

I tried to flash this using my windows 7, but after it went to debug mode, it says running dameon but didnt do anything, so i tried it on vista, it didnt find the drivers and i want to really mod it! i dont have xp at the moment!

anything i might be doing wrong?!

sorry if i sound a bit demanding!