Rogers/Fido? Froyo Malez Recovery Fix!

Guest Harness

Guest Harness

I have finally gotten everything to work. It definitely works on Rogers, and probably works on Fido (I haven't changed anything carrier specific, anyone want to test this?)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HW7OFSNW

I have modified Malez' recovery installer scripts (Windows/Mac/Linux - to the best of my ability) to stop the reboot and give further instructions that will be listed here as well.

Steps:

a) Download my modified Malez' recovery scripts

:D Extract the Modified Recovery.zip and put "update_signed.zip" on your SD Card.

c) Run the corresponding Malez Recovery Script to your OS

d) At the end of the script, press enter to close the installer, pop your battery in and out, and boot into Recovery (Vol - + Camera + Power)

e) MAKE A NANDROID BACKUP

f) SEE STEP E!

g) Flash the provided update_signed.zip and reboot

h) Done! You should have no issue with Malez recovery not staying on the device anymore.

Report any issues to me in this thread.

If you appreciate my work, say thanks to me (as well as Malez (original recovery scripts ofc and vache - helped me a lot in this, thanks!) on the forums, I want to know my work didn't go to waste, but I don't want your money either.

Harness :P

Edit: I just noticed I included a garbage file I had in the zip. It's called install-recovery.sh - Ignore it! All it says is "# blank file for testing"

Edited by Harness

Guest split2th

Hey man. Thanks so much. This is working. I loaded the official acer fido. from acers site. Applied your fix for Malez and was able to get back into Malez on boot. used it to root device. No more time to play right now, but will let you no if I find any issues. This was my main concern and it's been taken care of.

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest impunity

Harness, I need some guidance, currently i'm on 2.1 and i have malez (0.61) and my liquidE is rooted, so from this point, do i update to this modified malez that you posted (following your steps above), and then flash my phone using acer download tool, and then apply the rogers rom that was posted in the other thread?

or can i run the update that acer put out and then apply this modified malez recovery after that?

Thanks

Guest split2th
Harness, I need some guidance, currently i'm on 2.1 and i have malez (0.61) and my liquidE is rooted, so from this point, do i update to this modified malez that you posted (following your steps above), and then flash my phone using acer download tool, and then apply the rogers rom that was posted in the other thread?

or can i run the update that acer put out and then apply this modified malez recovery after that?

Thanks

1. Flash latest bin using acer tools 3.1.

2. Put phone in debug mode, and install the regular Malez easy installer.

3. Put Rogers rom in root of SD card, and use Malez to flash it.

At this point you will have problems getting back into Malez. This is the point when you use the Harness fix for Malez to work properly. I've used this and it works.

Guest impunity

At this point you will have problems getting back into Malez. This is the point when you use the Harness fix for Malez to work properly. I've used this and it works.

Thanks!, and does this process wipe data from the device? or all my apps/settings/etc going to stay in tact? just wondering if i should make note of my APn settings or anything like that..

Guest split2th
Thanks!, and does this process wipe data from the device? or all my apps/settings/etc going to stay in tact? just wondering if i should make note of my APn settings or anything like that..

yes, it will wipe. Use titanium backup to backup your apps. Your setting should be entered manually after the update, because settings may not be compatible and may cause problems. However if you're using the rogers rom and you're on rogers then the apn's should already be set up.

Guest impunity

thanks! and which bin would you suggest using, i downloaded the acer update but then realized there is no bin in their update, would one of the emea froyo bin's work with this device on rogers?

Guest impunity

ok so i followed this, now after flashing the rogers rom, the phone booted up and during the rogers setup i got a force close error and then i have no icons on screen, no menus, the only thing on my screen was the notification bar (home, back, search, and menu buttons do nothing for me)...i restart the phone again and then it doesn't even get into the os, it just sits at the Android screen (text with white scrolling).....so then i went into acer download tool and flashed the bin again and tried the whole thing over, same deal.

so, i'm thinking that perhaps after i flash the rogers rom, do i need to flash the modified malez and flash the update signed zip before i even attempt to reboot into the rogers rom? any ideas? when im in the malez recovery menu (after flashing the rogers rom...) am i able to adb to the phone and flash with the modified malez?

Guest Harness
ok so i followed this, now after flashing the rogers rom, the phone booted up and during the rogers setup i got a force close error and then i have no icons on screen, no menus, the only thing on my screen was the notification bar (home, back, search, and menu buttons do nothing for me)...i restart the phone again and then it doesn't even get into the os, it just sits at the Android screen (text with white scrolling).....so then i went into acer download tool and flashed the bin again and tried the whole thing over, same deal.

so, i'm thinking that perhaps after i flash the rogers rom, do i need to flash the modified malez and flash the update signed zip before i even attempt to reboot into the rogers rom? any ideas? when im in the malez recovery menu (after flashing the rogers rom...) am i able to adb to the phone and flash with the modified malez?

Boot in, set up your device, then use my Malez scripts to flash. It does work, especially if you used my ROM.

Harness.

Guest dkormend
Boot in, set up your device, then use my Malez scripts to flash. It does work, especially if you used my ROM.

Harness.

So I have the malez installed been using few different roms so wanted to check out the rogers one, I did the steps as listed however when I try to flash the Rogers update it still gives me the same error even when using malez recovery...however if i flash using your officialfroyo 2.2 with the latest update it's working fine that way... is there any difference in the 2? Or does it all do the same in the end, I noticed the Rogers is like 106 or something and your update file from Nov 17th I think was about 88 meg? Just curious thanks :)

Guest Harness
So I have the malez installed been using few different roms so wanted to check out the rogers one, I did the steps as listed however when I try to flash the Rogers update it still gives me the same error even when using malez recovery...however if i flash using your officialfroyo 2.2 with the latest update it's working fine that way... is there any difference in the 2? Or does it all do the same in the end, I noticed the Rogers is like 106 or something and your update file from Nov 17th I think was about 88 meg? Just curious thanks :)

The two are different, mine is made to flash via Malez. When you flash mine though, it will overwrite your malez recovery partition, hence why you have to use my fix to get past it.

Harness.

Guest impunity

Harness.

the first few times i was using alan090's rogers rom and got FC, then i tried your rogers rom and it worked fine.

Thanks for your work!

Guest xav0989

I'm having a problem. Once I loaded your modified malez onto my device and updated using your update script, my device wouldn't stop power cycling. I restored the system using my nandroid backup but would like to update to 2.2.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest et3rn1ty

Hi

I am not familiar with rooting but would like to root my acer liquid e from rogers.

I tried to follow your guide but don't understand step c 'Run the corresponding Malez Recovery Script to your OS'.

How do I exactly run the malez recovery? Do I run it from my pc (windows) or do I run it from my phone?

I am assuming I have to run it from my phone, so if that's the case, how do I access it from the phone? Do I need to enter fastboot by pressing vol up + camera + power?

Lastly, do I need to install the acer driver first as mentioned on Malez's google how to install guide http://code.google.com/p/acer-liquid-malez...ki/howToInstall ?

Thanks a lot

Guest et3rn1ty

Sorry, so do I run the script from my phone or from my pc?

If I need to run it from my phone, how do I do that? by pressing vol up + camera + power?

I am just worried about experimenting with my phone in case I brick it

Thanks in advance