• Announcements

• Reminder - MoDaCo position on illegal content   07/30/15

ILLEGAL CONTENT I'd like to just reaffirm MoDaCo's position regarding piracy and illegal content in the light of some recent questions / postings. Posts will be censored by myself or my moderation team if the contain or link to: Illegal / pirated / cracked software or sites that host such softwareNintendo emulators / ROMs or sites hosting them (in light of Nintendo's legal stance)CUSTOM ROMS You may discuss and post links to custom device ROMs on MoDaCo, provided the following rules are adhered to: ROMs must not contain any illegal 3rd party software (this includes trial versions included without permission)ROMs must give full credit to the original authorISSUES If you have any issues with this policy, please contact PaulOBrien directly via PM.
    • Reminder: Selling items on the forum directly is not allowed   07/30/15

Please note that selling items on the forum directly is not allowed by the forum rules. There is a forum for eBay auctions whereby you can list the items on eBay and link to them there. This is the ONLY forum for this type of activity. You may also advertise links to the eBay forum in your signature. Please note that selling directly in contravention of these rules will result in a warning / suspension / ban.

Rooting/customizing ect your defy

18 posts in this topic

Posted

Getting my defy tomorrow so first thing is to get it rooted! so, thought it would be a good idea to start a thread to put our heads together and find out info on rooting ect.

Does set cpu support the defy cpu with the auto detect? (Texas Instruments OMAP 3610) and also what about overlocking it?

Anyone had a go a removing moto blur?

Anyone know much about the bootloader? is it like the droid x's locked down using digital signing/encryption ?

Posted

Getting my defy tomorrow so first thing is to get it rooted! so, thought it would be a good idea to start a thread to put our heads together and find out info on rooting ect.

Does set cpu support the defy cpu with the auto detect? (Texas Instruments OMAP 3610) and also what about overlocking it?

Anyone had a go a removing moto blur?

Anyone know much about the bootloader? is it like the droid x's locked down using digital signing/encryption ?

rooting is easy peasy

Props to JBoogie3 over on modmymobile - works a treat

http://modmymobile.com/forums/637-motorola...oid2method.html

Debrand is possible, if like me you get it on t-mobile - I've done this. There are various fragmented guides around (although props to the guys you out it out there) I will do a full step by step tutorial if people are interested enough.

I haven't removed blur - there are parts of it that I like i.e. some of the apps/dialer etc, I hate the launcher, it is laggy. I installed my favourite launcher - launcher pro (plus).

When I get some time (maybe next week) I am gonna try sort out porting some themes, of at least the framework

BTW, everything shows you the CPU is 3630 not a 3610.

Bootloader is being looked into by others

Posted (edited)

Got it rooted didn't take long made a couple of school boy errors. Forgot to chmod su so i then lost root lol but i sorted that then had some problems with busy box not installing ended up installing it to /data for now (long story) iv deleted so crapware off /system/app and move some apps like facebook, twitter, maps ect there.

Set cpu works fine got the options of 800, 600, 300mhz would like to find out about overclocking it.

Running launcher pro, which seems to run well so far

More to come later in the week

If any one knows anything more about the phone and mods ect please share your info here

EDIT

This looks promising: http://modmymobile.com/forums/637-motorola...d-you-like.html

Edited by twon

Posted

Just so you guys know, visionary works on the defy. I was able to delete unwanted system apps also.

Posted

Sending my defy back as the speaker has broken. So not much will be happening my end till i get a new one sorted.

Posted

Sending my defy back as the speaker has broken. So not much will be happening my end till i get a new one sorted.

Out of Interest Twon - where did you get your defy from?

Posted

Out of Interest Twon - where did you get your defy from?

Amazon uk

Posted

Just got mine! ;)

P

Posted

Just got mine! ;)

P

Do something for DEFY!

Posted

Just got mine! ;)

P

Can't wait to see what you come up with, just started Twitterstalking you :P

It's an AWESOME phone! A bunch of Desire and Galaxy S users here at the office are quite jealous of mine :P

Posted

I'm seriously impressed actually!

P

Posted

From T-Mobile Pulse (2.1) to Motorola Defy.

Like the phone... dislike MotoBlur.

Posted

From T-Mobile Pulse (2.1) to Motorola Defy.

Like the phone... dislike MotoBlur.

Install Launcher Pro and you're golden ;)

Posted

Just got mine! ;)

P

Don't wanna steal your thunder, but look what Paul just posted on Twitter:

Multitaskingtastic... just pushed first shot at a custom ROM to the Defy. It's only a deodexed stock, but it shows it CAN be done!

2 days after getting the phone, he cracks it. Rather impressive, considering that guys like Handler_Exploit haven't done it yet.

Posted

Don't wanna steal your thunder, but look what Paul just posted on Twitter:

2 days after getting the phone, he cracks it. Rather impressive, considering that guys like Handler_Exploit haven't done it yet.

Based on my knowledge (I ported android myself). They are trying different things...

it takes just a few hours to compile the stock froyo source and push it to the device... Guess what! It will boot if you used the right parameters. But it will not/never contain the same features as the original rom.

Trust me.. Every developer here could do it. The problem is to make it usable

Posted

Seems like the faulty earpiece speaker is a common problem with the defy: https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/4...=0&tstart=0

quite a few users are having the same problem i had.

Posted

May be that odd lot with spaker problem, bad luck, can you tell me complete letter/serial below the sticker inside the phone below battery?

Urvish

Posted

May be that odd lot with spaker problem, bad luck, can you tell me complete letter/serial below the sticker inside the phone below battery?

Urvish

I can't, I sent it back a while a go so can't get the serial number.