[GUIDE] Debranding /Installing different/recovering bricked firmware on your Motorola Defy

Guest Higgsy

Disclaimer: I will not be held responsible for any damage to your phone, your PC or indeed your life from following this guide. The steps in this guide worked for me. If you have problems uninstall everything and start from Step 4 again. Doing this kind of thing could affect your warranty and all that so have a long hard think about it before you go ahead

This guide will show you how to debrand your Motorola Defy (Eg bought on T-Mobile UK and want generic UK firmware), or indeed restore the phone if you brick (Eg ie removing important apps that you shouldn’t have touched!!)

Props go to jutley for his debranding guide for the flipout, and dkspook for his information in other threads, and anyone else who thinks they may have contributed, oh yeah and my Mum.

##WARNING: Do not flash the newer 2.51 UK Firmware - it is patched and at present root is not possible. Also the Deblur Firmware, is by no means Vanilla - it just has some elements such as the social networking app removed, My advice is to stay on 2.21 UK##

##Disconnect phone from PC##

STEP 1 Download usb drivers here below

http://developer.motorola.com/docstools/US...r/?pubid=987654

STEP 2 Download the debranded Firmware here (To debrand to generic UK I used the one marked UK - choose the one for your country)

http://and-developers.com/sbf:defy

STEP 3 Download RSDLite - I used v4.9, I found earlier versions would not work. Get it here.

http://www.uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1285967465

STEP 4 Install the USB Drivers and the RSDLite program and reboot PC

STEP 5 Extract the firmware file you downloaded a while ago. Then copy the .sbf firmware file to c:\Program files\Motorola\RSDLite folder (installation directory for RDSLite). this should come out as JRDNEM_U3_2.21.0_SIGNED_UCAJRDNEMARAB1B80AA028.0R_USAJORDANRTGB_P026_A007_HWp3_S

rvice1FF.sbf for the UK one.

STEP 6 Start the RSDLite program now where it says filename press the select button and find the .sbf firmware file in c:\Program files\Motorola\RSDLite (it should default to this folder) and select the (sbf) file some details will appear on the right hand side.

STEP 7 We now need to boot the phone into the bootloader (as above make sure the phone is disconnected from USB – not sure if matters tho!). Hold the volume up and then power the phone on, after about 5 seconds release the buttons and the bootloader should display - it will show the version and a battery check. Now plug in the USB cable and it should install the drivers. Once its finished you should see the phone appear at the bottom of the RSDLite program window under `port 1` - Once this is there you are ready to flash the firmware. NB: I had issues getting it to show a number of times. Uninstalling RSDLite/Drivers, rebooting PC, and then reinstalling these resolved this issue.

STEP 8 Press the start button on the RSDLite and just relax while your device gets flashed,debranded etc. you will see a progress status on the right hand side wait till it reaches 100% but please do not disconect it will reboot the phone automaticly and restart the phone.And just wait untill android comes up and fully running untill you disconnect it should read "PLEASE START PHONE MANUALLY" on RSDLite, when this shows it is safe to unplug.

Hopefully now you will have a debranded/unbricked phone.

One thing I noticed is that the data partition stayed intact for me when I debranded, meaning all my settings and installed app (providing you hadn’t moved stuff to /system) were still there after the process – cool! The only thing you will have to do is re-root the device.

Hope you find this useful and I look forward to a great community for the Defy!

Edited by Higgsy

Guest craigflow

Can someone tell me what added extras T-mobile have put onto the DEFY? Is it simply the old web & walk and dark colour scheme (ala pulse) or is there anything useful on there?

Have just ordered my DEFY today (buymobilephones - needed a TV!) and want to know what I will loose if I get a T-Mobile branded DEFY and decide to go vanilla or inded what I will gain by going vanilla! :-)

Cheers

Craig

Can someone tell me what added extras T-mobile have put onto the DEFY? Is it simply the old web & walk and dark colour scheme (ala pulse) or is there anything useful on there?

Have just ordered my DEFY today (buymobilephones - needed a TV!) and want to know what I will loose if I get a T-Mobile branded DEFY and decide to go vanilla or inded what I will gain by going vanilla! :-)

Cheers

Craig

no there is no theme. no branding on the handset, no extra apps. The only branding was the splash screens and of course it is locked. Mine came direct from T-Mobile.

Guest craigflow
no there is no theme. no branding on the handset, no extra apps. The only branding was the splash screens and of course it is locked. Mine came direct from T-Mobile.

Thanks, if there is no difference I may leave it as it is for now, although saying that I will probably get itchy fingers within a week and will be tempted to debrand :-)

Great guide, nice to see it so soon in this phones life. Expecting great things from this phone having stuck with the G1 for ages before getting the Pulse on the Tmobile £5/12m - £10/12m deal (contract for my daughter) a good few months back and playing about with 2.1. lets hope the DEFY community builds up here as well as the pulse one did.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks, if there is no difference I may leave it as it is for now, although saying that I will probably get itchy fingers within a week and will be tempted to debrand :-)

Great guide, nice to see it so soon in this phones life. Expecting great things from this phone having stuck with the G1 for ages before getting the Pulse on the Tmobile £5/12m - £10/12m deal (contract for my daughter) a good few months back and playing about with 2.1. lets hope the DEFY community builds up here as well as the pulse one did.

Well, the Defy isn't as cheap as the Pulse so I doubt it will, but I'm gonna try and put something together to get the modding scene started. ;)

P

Well, the Defy isn't as cheap as the Pulse so I doubt it will, but I'm gonna try and put something together to get the modding scene started. ;)

P

I reckon the defy is well worth getting Paul - I think you'll love it.

Hello,

i bought a Motorola Defy which is locked on a French Operator with its own personalisation.

I debranded it with the guide given here. It worked perfectly.

And then, yesterday, i ordered an unlocking code but it doesn't work. The site assures me that this code is from the Manufacturer Motorola itself.

So, my question is: is it possible that debranding my Motorola Defy BEFORE i try to unlock could have changed the unlock code ?

Thank you for your help.

Hello,

i bought a Motorola Defy which is locked on a French Operator with its own personalisation.

I debranded it with the guide given here. It worked perfectly.

And then, yesterday, i ordered an unlocking code but it doesn't work. The site assures me that this code is from the Manufacturer Motorola itself.

So, my question is: is it possible that debranding my Motorola Defy BEFORE i try to unlock could have changed the unlock code ?

Thank you for your help.

No I have seen a number of posts around various forums advising that unlock codes bought from online unlock sites aren't working, one guy got 3 different codes from 3 different sites. The only place to get the code is the mobile operator itself, thats if thy will even give/sell it to you.

No I have seen a number of posts around various forums advising that unlock codes bought from online unlock sites aren't working, one guy got 3 different codes from 3 different sites. The only place to get the code is the mobile operator itself, thats if thy will even give/sell it to you.

Problem is, i bought this phone without subscribing a contract so i thought it would be unlocked but they sent me a locked unit.

I can't contact the hotline because i can't authentificated myself with my phone number (i don't have a client account with this operator) and i didn't get any answer to my letter after 3 weeks so i'm stucked with a brand new phone that i can't use to call.

Problem is, i bought this phone without subscribing a contract so i thought it would be unlocked but they sent me a locked unit.

I can't contact the hotline because i can't authentificated myself with my phone number (i don't have a client account with this operator) and i didn't get any answer to my letter after 3 weeks so i'm stucked with a brand new phone that i can't use to call.

Id have probably have sent it back to where I got it from. If it is locked to that network then they have the unlock code. If they wont do anything without a number, can't you get a pay as you go sim card from that network and try and get it via that?

I didn't sent it back because there was a mistake on the price when i ordered, got it for 199 euros instead of 300 :P

So i kept it anyway and tried to unlock it myself but no success.

Now, since i can't use it to call, it doesn't seem to be such a good deal after all ;)

If a use a pay as you go sim card, they will unlock it for free after 6 months (french law).

Edited by blog20

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Thanks for the howto, I managed to repair my Defy, previously with FR rom, now with GB.

I have question about links from and-developers.com/sbf:defy.

Where they come from? I'm searching for file with polish version, which is DEBLURED arleady for PL market.

I found information about that rom, maybe it will help U somehow find that rom

System version : Moto_Version.2.34.1.MB525.Retail.en.CEE

Model number: MB525

Firmware version: 2.1-update1

Baseband version: EPU93ST2_U_03.04.00

Kernel version: 2.6.29 jfqk83@zch68lnxdroid07 #1

BPflex version: UCAJRDNEMARAB1B80AA02B.0R

APflex version: GAS_ASIA_USAJORDANRTCEE_P029

Build number: JRDNEM_U3_2.34.1

As U see, its never version than posted on and-developers.com/sbf:ruth

Hi,

Thanks for the howto, I managed to repair my Defy, previously with FR rom, now with GB.

I have question about links from and-developers.com/sbf:defy.

Where they come from? I'm searching for file with polish version, which is DEBLURED arleady for PL market.

I found information about that rom, maybe it will help U somehow find that rom

System version : Moto_Version.2.34.1.MB525.Retail.en.CEE

Model number: MB525

Firmware version: 2.1-update1

Baseband version: EPU93ST2_U_03.04.00

Kernel version: 2.6.29 jfqk83@zch68lnxdroid07 #1

BPflex version: UCAJRDNEMARAB1B80AA02B.0R

APflex version: GAS_ASIA_USAJORDANRTCEE_P029

Build number: JRDNEM_U3_2.34.1

As U see, its never version than posted on and-developers.com/sbf:ruth

I don't provide or maintain the Firmwares, I just knocked up a guide on how to do it. If it is not on and-developers than the sbf has not been leaked/made publicly available. The Firmwares on there I believe are maintained by Skillraz over at modmymobile.com, theres a thread in the defy section for firmware requests - probably a good idea to ask the question there mate.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest #stingray#

Hello, newbie here but keen

Just got a Defy with VF branded system and wanted to use the guide above to de-brand, I have used a similar method before to de-band an older Motorola phone some years ago and have done a Sony Ericsson also.

I should be able to follow the above guide without too much problem but not quite sure about this comment:

"One thing I noticed is that the data partition stayed intact for me when I debranded, meaning all my settings and installed app (providing you hadn’t moved stuff to /system) were still there after the process – cool! The only thing you will have to do is re-root the device."

Is this necessary to re-root the phone before it can be used? or after step 8:

STEP 8 Press the start button on the RSDLite and just relax while your device gets flashed,debranded etc. you will see a progress status on the right hand side wait till it reaches 100% but please do not disconect it will reboot the phone automaticly and restart the phone.And just wait untill android comes up and fully running untill you disconnect it should read "PLEASE START PHONE MANUALLY" on RSDLite, when this shows it is safe to unplug.

Is the phone usable as it is? wil all functions/features work?

Many thanks and and a great site!

Guest Higgsy
Hello, newbie here but keen

Just got a Defy with VF branded system and wanted to use the guide above to de-brand, I have used a similar method before to de-band an older Motorola phone some years ago and have done a Sony Ericsson also.

I should be able to follow the above guide without too much problem but not quite sure about this comment:

"One thing I noticed is that the data partition stayed intact for me when I debranded, meaning all my settings and installed app (providing you hadn’t moved stuff to /system) were still there after the process – cool! The only thing you will have to do is re-root the device."

Is this necessary to re-root the phone before it can be used? or after step 8:

Is the phone usable as it is? wil all functions/features work?

Many thanks and and a great site!

You dont have to root the phone to do this. Root is optional. The phone will be perfectly usable out of the box, its whether or not you want operator branding on your handset or not. As well as the Defy section on here you aught to check out the defy section over at XDA developers too - lots of info on both sites.

Guest #stingray#
You dont have to root the phone to do this. Root is optional. The phone will be perfectly usable out of the box, its whether or not you want operator branding on your handset or not. As well as the Defy section on here you aught to check out the defy section over at XDA developers too - lots of info on both sites.

Sure I can use the phone out of the box as I am doing with my O2 sim but it's got VF rubbish all over it and I hate it (it was actually an upgrade on my wife's VF contract but she gave it to me). So yes I want to de-brand using your guide but the only thing I'm un-sure about is the bit after step 8 where it says you'll have to re-root the device. So what I wanted to know is if I do step 8 and end up with the de-branded device do I need to do this 're-root' to get it to work or can I just put my sim back in and all will be well ? or maybe I just don't understand what is meant by 're-root'

Thanks

Guest Higgsy
Sure I can use the phone out of the box as I am doing with my O2 sim but it's got VF rubbish all over it and I hate it (it was actually an upgrade on my wife's VF contract but she gave it to me). So yes I want to de-brand using your guide but the only thing I'm un-sure about is the bit after step 8 where it says you'll have to re-root the device. So what I wanted to know is if I do step 8 and end up with the de-branded device do I need to do this 're-root' to get it to work or can I just put my sim back in and all will be well ? or maybe I just don't understand what is meant by 're-root'

Thanks

If you didn't have root before or you don't know what it is then just ignore that. Its just a case of you flashing the generic firmware the phone then reboots and you are done.